The "Miss out on Anderson" Mock Draft

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
In this mock draft, Will Anderson Jr. goes #2 overall to the Texans.

The Seattle Seahawks call up for their #1 target, Texas Tech DE. The Seahawks offer a package that is hard to refuse considering that Anderson is off the board: pick 5, pick 37, pick 154, and a 2024 third round pick.

I don't mind taking trade calls again because I pretty much have 5 or 6 players Id like at this spot, so I take another trade down with the Tennessee Titans: pick 11, pick 41, pick 72, but I have to throw in pick 96.

I make these moves because after, Anderson, there are about 10 players I'd consider for different reasons. What this exercise demonstrates is that it's either Anderson or trade down for the most draft capital possible.

Pick 11: Myles Murphy, DE Clemson. Murphy is a former 5 star recruit with elite traits. His relative athletic score is through the roof. Why didn't he go top ten? His production hasn't been elite, but I think he at least becomes an eight sack per year guy who is really good against the run.

Pick 34: Cam Smith, CB South Carolina. The Cardinals are fortunate to get a shot at CB with a late first round grade here. Smith has good measureables across the board and will give the Cardinals two physical, young starters moving forward.

Pick 37: O'Cyrus Torrence, OG Florida. Turn on Torrence's game against Georgia and you will see a powerful, tough guard completely holding his own against Jalen Carter. Torrence will be a fixture at guard for the Cardinals for awhile. Plug him in at LG and the guards now have two guards with size, toughness and power.

Pick 41: Keenu Benton, DL Wisconsin. This IDL class mostly sucks, and Benton is one of the better IDL in this class. He can play the run and has some pass rushing upside. He should be an immediate upgrade to the likes of Fotu and Lawrence.

Pick 66: Luke Wypler, C Ohio State. Another OL who played really well against the best of the best of college football. Wypler wins with good technique and plus athleticism, but is on the smaller side. Wypler should win the C job by default by midseason.

Pick 72: Cedric Tillman, WR Tennessee. Most fans focus on Jalin Hyatt, but going into the 2022, scouts loved Cedric Tillman. An early season injury wiped out most of 2022, but he showed his competitive drive to come back and play at the end of the season. Tillman is a big receiver who wins at the catch point and has some dog in him. This class is almost totally bereft of bigger receivers so Tillman will go earlier than he was initially projected. Tillman could be the Cardinals #2 of the future.

Pick 105: DeWayne McBride, RB UAB. I really like this RB class, and McBride is probably my favorite player outside of the top two guys. McBride is a very violent runner who excels at seeing cutback lanes. He breaks tackles and will wear a defense down. Twenty years ago, McBride would have likely been a fringe first rounder, but his lack of touches in the pass game lower his grade. McBride instantly becomes RB2 and has future starter potential if he shows he can catch the football.

Pick 154, Luke Schoonmaker, TE Michigan. This is a historically good TE class, but quite a few of the top guys aren't good blockers. Schoonmaker offers a good mix of receiving ability and blocking ability. He tested better than anticipated and in a lot of TE classes, Schoonmaker is probably TE 5 and goes much earlier. His biggest downside is that he is an older prospect. I view Schoonmaker as the future TE2 and a guy who can come in as an H-Back as well.

Pick 168, Chandler Zavala, OG NC State. This is a guy who is really rising up draft boards. After a few seasons of injuries, Zavala came into his own this past season allowing zero sacks on the year and a single QB hit. Zavala is massive, and his pro day numbers were among the best at OG. The Cardinals have now added three legit IOL prospects to compete with the veterans they have added along with the mainstays from last year.

Pick 180, Charlie Jones, WR Purdue. Jones is an older prospect, but I like him as a future key special teamer. Jones was super productive last year at Purdue.

Pick 213, Dorian Thompson-Robinson. Talk about great fits as back up to Murray, DTR is one of the most electric CFB players offer the past several years. DTR gets a chance to earn the QB3 job and be the potential long-term back up behind Murray.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

The Seattle Seahawks call up for their #1 target, Texas Tech DE. The Seahawks offer a package that is hard to refuse considering that Anderson is off the board: pick 5, pick 37, pick 154, and a 2024 third round pick.

I don't mind taking trade calls again because I pretty much have 5 or 6 players Id like at this spot, so I take another trade down with the Tennessee Titans: pick 11, pick 41, pick 72, but I have to throw in pick 96.

I make these moves because after, Anderson, there are about 10 players I'd consider for different reasons. What this exercise demonstrates is that it's either Anderson or trade down for the most draft capital possible.

Pick 11: Myles Murphy, DE Clemson. Murphy is a former 5 star recruit with elite traits. His relative athletic score is through the roof. Why didn't he go top ten? His production hasn't been elite, but I think he at least becomes an eight sack per year guy who is really good against the run.

Pick 34: Cam Smith, CB South Carolina. The Cardinals are fortunate to get a shot at CB with a late first round grade here. Smith has good measureables across the board and will give the Cardinals two physical, young starters moving forward.

Pick 37: O'Cyrus Torrence, OG Florida. Turn on Torrence's game against Georgia and you will see a powerful, tough guard completely holding his own against Jalen Carter. Torrence will be a fixture at guard for the Cardinals for awhile. Plug him in at LG and the guards now have two guards with size, toughness and power.

Pick 41: Keenu Benton, DL Wisconsin. This IDL class mostly sucks, and Benton is one of the better IDL in this class. He can play the run and has some pass rushing upside. He should be an immediate upgrade to the likes of Fotu and Lawrence.

Pick 66: Luke Wypler, C Ohio State. Another OL who played really well against the best of the best of college football. Wypler wins with good technique and plus athleticism, but is on the smaller side. Wypler should win the C job by default by midseason.

Pick 72: Cedric Tillman, WR Tennessee. Most fans focus on Jalin Hyatt, but going into the 2022, scouts loved Cedric Tillman. An early season injury wiped out most of 2022, but he showed his competitive drive to come back and play at the end of the season. Tillman is a big receiver who wins at the catch point and has some dog in him. This class is almost totally bereft of bigger receivers so Tillman will go earlier than he was initially projected. Tillman could be the Cardinals #2 of the future.

Pick 105: DeWayne McBride, RB UAB. I really like this RB class, and McBride is probably my favorite player outside of the top two guys. McBride is a very violent runner who excels at seeing cutback lanes. He breaks tackles and will wear a defense down. Twenty years ago, McBride would have likely been a fringe first rounder, but his lack of touches in the pass game lower his grade. McBride instantly becomes RB2 and has future starter potential if he shows he can catch the football.

Pick 154, Luke Schoonmaker, TE Michigan. This is a historically good TE class, but quite a few of the top guys aren't good blockers. Schoonmaker offers a good mix of receiving ability and blocking ability. He tested better than anticipated and in a lot of TE classes, Schoonmaker is probably TE 5 and goes much earlier. His biggest downside is that he is an older prospect. I view Schoonmaker as the future TE2 and a guy who can come in as an H-Back as well.

Pick 168, Chandler Zavala, OG NC State. This is a guy who is really rising up draft boards. After a few seasons of injuries, Zavala came into his own this past season allowing zero sacks on the year and a single QB hit. Zavala is massive, and his pro day numbers were among the best at OG. The Cardinals have now added three legit IOL prospects to compete with the veterans they have added along with the mainstays from last year.

Pick 180, Charlie Jones, WR Purdue. Jones is an older prospect, but I like him as a future key special teamer. Jones was super productive last year at Purdue.

Pick 213, Dorian Thompson-Robinson. Talk about great fits as back up to Murray, DTR is one of the most electric CFB players offer the past several years. DTR gets a chance to earn the QB3 job and be the potential long-term back up behind Murray.
Good set of player

Reaction score
Nice post, Krang!

Here is what I've been wondering about the topic; for those fans that have soured on Kyler Murray, if Stroud goes #1, and Houston takes Will Anderson at #2, would you take the trade or select QB Bryce Young? :shocker:

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice post, Krang!

Here is what I've been wondering about the topic; for those fans that have soured on Kyler Murray, if Stroud goes #1, and Houston takes Will Anderson at #2, would you take the trade or select QB Bryce Young? :shocker:
Trade no question

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score

I would be very happy with this draft!

OP
OP
Krangodnzr

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Nice post, Krang!

I haven't fully soured on Murray, but I don't see how taking Young would be smart in any scenario.

First and foremost, I think Murray is a physically more talented player. Young doesn't have a better arm and Murray is a significantly better athlete.

Forget what the fan boys say, Young has lived a privileged football life at Alabama. He is throwing from a lot of sterile pockets to wide open receivers. In some ways, I'm more impressed with Will Levis because we have tape of a guy fighting against tough odds week-to-week.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I haven't fully soured on Murray, but I don't see how taking Young would be smart in any scenario.

First and foremost, I think Murray is a physically more talented player. Young doesn't have a better arm and Murray is a significantly better athlete.

Forget what the fan boys say, Young has lived a privileged football life at Alabama. He is throwing from a lot of sterile pockets to wide open receivers. In some ways, I'm more impressed with Will Levis because we have tape of a guy fighting against tough odds week-to-week.
100% agree.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Forget what the fan boys say, Young has lived a privileged football life at Alabama. He is throwing from a lot of sterile pockets to wide open receivers. In some ways, I'm more impressed with Will Levis because we have tape of a guy fighting against tough odds week-to-week
Someone hasn’t watched Alabama football the past two seasons. I

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I don’t see Seattle giving up that much draft capital, to a division rival, to someone who will very likely be there at #5 anyway. But, I like all the guys you picked. I’d bet you working off PFF’s board based on these pick selections.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose