Improving the Cardinals' Defense

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
When you break down tape of the Cardinals' defense there are consistent flaws that pop out at you. In some ways, it's remarkable that the Cardinal defense was able to get all the way to the Super Bowl. Had the Cardinals' offense been the least bit less prolific, the Cardinals would have had no chance at the playoffs, let alone the Super Bowl.

Example A: The NT taking on the double team. First of all, it's absolutely critical that the NT get off the ball at the point of attack, so as to lessen the power of the initial contact from the center and guard. Secondly, when the NT recognizes he's being double teamed, the last thing he wants to do is get pushed backward (and be rolled off on roller skates). At the very least he needs to do what I always called "collapse" or "cave in" the double team...which essentially means that even if he has to fall forward in order to keep the double team in the neutral zone, he has to do it. By doing so he's creating a log jam that can't be immediately run through by the RB...which will cause the RB to redirect...which then allows other defenders the time to locate and finish off the ballcarrier. The best scenario is when the NT is able to rip his lead arm and fight through the double team, thus causing the RB to redirect even sooner than expected.

Bryan Robinson was a curious choice at NT. He neither possesed the requisite strength, nor the technique to play the position consistently well. In the Super Bowl there were a few occasions where he was driven backwards as many as 6 yards on double teams.

Gabe Watson has the bulk, but having lost some of the strength in his knee had a difficult time taking on the double teams.

There's an interesting debate among defensive coaches as to what kind of NT they want. Most prefer the mammouth logjammer, which is quite understandable. But some prefer a smaller quicker disprupter at NT...someone who can out-quick double teams and get penetration when necessary.

Thus, it would be very interesting if the Cardinals ever wanted to switch in Darnell Dockett every now and then at NT. He could absolutely wreak havoc in the middle and instead of taking on guard/tackle tandems he'd be in the A gaps versus the center/guard.

Case B: Linebackers blowing up lead plays and screens. What all great defenses are taught is to attack the line of scrimmage...it's when RBs get beyong the l.o.s. that leads to big gains and even potential TDs. Therefore, what's so important in LB play is to stop plays in their tracks by "blowing them up", which means meeting the FB on a lead play in the hole (which is bound to redirect the RB)...or reading a screen and flying in to blow up the first blocker, if the LB can't get directly to the ball. What this does is totally disrupt the timing of the play and it allows the other defenders to clean up.

Gerald Hayes and Karlos Dansby...because in the Cardinals' hybrid 3-4 (a.k.a. 4-3 "predator") defense they are expected to be covered up, which in theory allows them clean shots at the ball...often react far too slowly to plays that do open up and thus are precious seconds late doing what all good ILBers are supposed to do. If you notice, Hayes in particular is at his best when he is given a "downhill" assignment...one where he already knows the gap he is going to shoot...but otherwise he's slow to react and winds up out of position to make a play or winds up chasing plays laterally most of the time...as does Dansby.

On screens Dansby is particlarly poor...which is why so many screens have been successful to his side. He's often late recognizing the play and when he does show recognition, he doesn't sprint fast enough to blow the play up, nor does he show a willingness to sacrifice himself for the sake of blowing the play up. Instead he goes into a lazy chase mode and is often easily blocked exactly the way the offense hopes when they design the play.

Case C: Zone coverage. The key to effective zone coverage is playing man to man in the your zone...until the man leaves your zone and you call for a switch. The Cardinals are not good at this at all. The rule I used to drill into my players' head is..."if you are not covering someone, something's wrong." In fact, if there is no WR or RB in your zone underneath, the rule is to peel backward (the way DRC did beautifully on his great interception near the goalline in the Carolina game). However, in the Super Bowl, the Cardinals had three DBs in the vacinity of Santonio Holmes on the TD and none of the three had Holmes covered. Huge mistake, as we all saw. It only makes sense that if you are standing there, pick up and play the man...the way James Harrison did in his short zone when Q ran his route into it.

Case D: Deep Safety Coverage. One of the hardest assignments in football is the deep safety coverage assignment, where the deep safety has to read the flow of the play, favoring the deep pass first and the intermediate pass second. But, the worst thing a safety can do is get cement shoes and get caught in no-man's land. The Cardinal safeties have this problem. What a defensive coordinator has to teach his safety is while backpedalling and sensing flow is to peer back at the QB's head and react to it...and once the reaction is made, commit to it 100%. In other words if the QB is looking deep up the sideline, sprint for deep help immediately...if the QB is looking more towards the hash, take a beeline to beat the underneath intermediate WR to the ball. The truth is the safety does not have the luxury of time. He either reacts now...because there is no later.

If the safety reacts and commits 100%, he deserves to be excused if the play goes big somewhere else...because you can't have your safeties second guessing all the time.

Aaron Francisco got caught in no-man's land repeatedly in the playoffs...and for his limited experience at the position (and lack of speed) it's somewhat understandable. Antrell Rolle likes to ballhawk on the intermediate routes and is good at it, but he offers little deep third help for his CBs.

Case E. CBs looking back for the ball. DRC is getting real good at this already, which is very encouraging. Rod Hood, as we know, is a WR numbers shadower who is reluctant to look back for the ball for fear of getting beat. Both he and DRC at times let up on coverage and it burns them...DeShawn Jackson's TD versus DRC comes to mind. DRC had him blanketed and then stopped his feet for a couple of seconds while Jackson blew upfield. DRC recovered almost miraculously, but not quite enough in that case as Jackson tipped the ball, juggled it and secured it for the TD.

Ralph Brown sees the ball well...and really made strides this past year. He was a nice suprise. His weakness is a lack of speed, which hurts him in space. Otherwise he's a nifty nickel type back in tight quarters and the short to intermediate areas.

Case F. DL-Men Getting Their Hands Up. How many replays of McNabb and other have you seen this post-season where the ball was thrown right over a Cardinal DL's head?...and in virtually all the cases, the DL's momentum on the rush had already stopped, thus he had nothing better to do that get his paws up. The interception in the Super Bowl was thanks to Robinson tipping a pass that Dansby hauled in. Robinson is the most savvy at getting his hands up...but at 6'7" Calais Campbell could lead the league in tipped passes if he gets coached up to do it.

Case G: Tackling. Even Adrian Wilson is not a fundamental tackler in this defense...he's a hit you, hope you fall down SS...and fortunately when he hits you, you fall down, most of the time. But, many of his teammates follow Wilson's lead, by trying to make hits knock people down and they don't have the firepower that Wilson has...which accounts for many of the broken tackles we fans see on a weekly basis. WRAP UP in 2009 YOU REDBIRDS! The other fundamental that isn't being stressed is breaking down for the tackles...the Cardinal defenders often over-commit and over-pursue, thus offering weak arm tackles at best...this is particularly true on STs as well, which is why the Cardinals have struggled so much on return coverage teams.

The new DC will have his hands full...but...the talent is there. I personally hope it is someone from the outside, because the current defensive coaches have not been getting the job done on a consistent basis...and whoever comes in will have to set higher standards, stricter repitiions on the fundamentals, and far greater accountability for the players.

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Case D: Deep Safety Coverage. One of the hardest assignments in football is the deep safety coverage assignment, where the deep safety has to read the flow of the play, favoring the deep pass first and the intermediate pass second. But, the worst thing a safety can do is get cement shoes and get caught in no-man's land. The Cardinal safeties have this problem. What a defensive coordinator has to teach his safety is while backpedalling and sensing flow is to peer back at the QB's head and react to it...and once the reaction is made, commit to it 100%. In other words if the QB is looking deep up the sideline, sprint for deep help immediately...if the QB is looking more towards the hash, take a beeline to beat the underneath intermediate WR to the ball. The truth is ther safety does not have the luxury of time. He either reacts now...because there is no later.

Aaron Francisco got caught in no-man's land repeatedly in the playoffs...and for his limited experience at the poition it's somewhat understandable. Antrell Rolle likes to ballhawk on the intermediate routes and is good at it, but he offers little deep third help for his CBs.
The new DC will have his hands full...

Yes and no on the reaction of the Safety's. The real good one's will even BAIT the QB into committing errors. They'll read; then lay back a little and then making sure no one is streaking down the sidelines or accross deep will decide to jump a route. Mainly what they're doing back there is damage control. Let as little damage occur downfield as possible. They we're pitiful at that to a large extent, consistently. That is why it's my main issue. Everyone talks about pressure, and that's important. But there are times sacks and pressure are due to outstanding coverage also. But we definately don't have that particular Edge, and haven't for a long time. It got better with the advancement of DRC , but it's obviously an unfinished product until we get a true center fielder or two back there. And your right Rolle isn't it. He's much more adept at nickel back, IMO.

Priority #1 for me. Saftey position.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The new DC will have his hands full...but...the talent is there. I personally hope it is someone from the outside, because the current defensive coaches have not been getting the job done on a consistent basis...and whoever comes in will have to set higher standards, stricter repitiions on the fundamentals, and far greater accountability for the players.[/quote]

Sure makes me think....beautifully written

Reaction score
When you break down tape of the Cardinals' defense there are consistent flaws that pop out at you. In some ways, it's remarkable that the Cardinal defense was able to get all the way to the Super Bowl. Had the Cardinals' offense been the least bit less prolific, the Cardinals would have had no chance at the playoffs, let alone the Super Bowl...
You are dead on with this Walt!

Aaron Francisco got caught in no-man's land repeatedly in the playoffs...and for his limited experience at the position (and lack of speed) it's somewhat understandable.
Francisco has 4 years in the NFL as a safety, granted he probably has more actual plays played on special teams than on defense. But 4 years should be long enough, game experience or not, to learn your position.

Tackling. Even Adrian Wilson is not a fundamental tackler in this defense...he's a hit you, hope you fall down SS...and fortunately when he hits you, you fall down, most of the time. But, many of his teammates follow Wilson's lead, by trying to make hits knock people down and they don't have the firepower that Wilson has...which accounts for many of the broken tackles we fans see on a weekly basis.
Once again I think you hit the nail on the head. Wilson gets away with it most of the time because he has an ability to absolutely explode on a hit. It's the same explosive impulse which enables Wilson to be a YouTube phenom! Other players with a less explosive twitch whom mimic Wilson's tackling technique will be embarrassed.

The new DC will have his hands full...but...the talent is there. I personally hope it is someone from the outside, because the current defensive coaches have not been getting the job done on a consistent basis...and whoever comes in will have to set higher standards, stricter repitiions on the fundamentals, and far greater accountability for the players.
Again I agree! :thumbup:

Walter, when you stay away from the QB's you are much more rational! ;)

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch, on CB's looking back for the ball, I don't think Eric Green ever did learn how to do that at all. Me thinks its why we didn't see him on the field much late in the season

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Mitch, on CB's looking back for the ball, I don't think Eric Green ever did learn how to do that at all. Me thinks its why we didn't see him on the field much late in the season

Not only that, MrYB, when Green did see the ball he had miserable ball skills.

Green has wheels...if someone coaches him up and he gets tougher mentally and physically he might turn into a pretty decent pro.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Not only that, MrYB, when Green did see the ball he had miserable ball skills.

Green has wheels...if someone coaches him up and he gets tougher mentally and physically he might turn into a pretty decent pro.

I don't remember ever seeing a CB with worse ball skills than Eric Green.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thus, it would be very interesting if the Cardinals ever wanted to switch in Darnell Dockett every now and then at NT. He could absolutely wreak havoc in the middle and instead of taking on guard/tackle tandems he'd be in the A gaps versus the center/guard.

First Mitch, thanks for getting us back on track!
I've missed this stuff a lot.

Second, the team has had Dockett in at DT in a packages that, if I remember correctly, are usually DB heavy, 3-3-5, 2-4-5, etc.

I've got at least one in here:

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1924680&postcount=7

What I don't know is how effective he is out of these sets. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Loved your breakdown, keep up the work!

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
There's an interesting debate among defensive coaches as to what kind of NT they want. Most prefer the mammouth logjammer, which is quite understandable. But some prefer a smaller quicker disprupter at NT...someone who can out-quick double teams and get penetration when necessary.
Good point here. The Steelers and Cowboys both have great nose tackles but they're vastly different players. Casey Hampton (6'1 325) is the log jammer and he's great at it. All he's really asked to do is occupy multiple blockers and not get driven back. Jay Ratliff (6'4 302) is the quick disrupter and he's very good at what he does. He's not quite as stout at the point of attack but he's very quick off the ball and often shoots a gap and is in the backfield before the offensive line is ready for him.

Can Dockett be the 'quick disrupter' kind of guy? I don't know he's a full 15 pounds lighter than Ratliff. Also, the 'log jammer' makes it easier on the backers behind him because they're able to flow to the ball without getting caught up in the trash.

If the safety reacts and commits 100%, he deserves to be excused if the play goes big somewhere else...because you can't have your safeties second guessing all the time.
A perfect example of safeties committing to a reaction is Fitz's slant-TD in the SB. Both deep safeties bit on sideline routes and we way out of position.

Case E. CBs looking back for the ball. DRC is getting real good at this already, which is very encouraging. Rod Hood, as we know, is a WR numbers shadower who is reluctant to look back for the ball for fear of getting beat.
Great point. How many times this season did we see pics of Hood facing a receiver with his hands up as the ball is in the air? That's one of the things that's maddening about him b/c he's normally in good position, he just doesn't make the play. Maybe that's something he can work on or maybe that's just what he is.

Case G: Tackling. Even Adrian Wilson is not a fundamental tackler in this defense...he's a hit you, hope you fall down SS...and fortunately when he hits you, you fall down, most of the time. But, many of his teammates follow Wilson's lead, by trying to make hits knock people down and they don't have the firepower that Wilson has...which accounts for many of the broken tackles we fans see on a weekly basis. WRAP UP in 2009 YOU REDBIRDS!
Another great point. Antrel Rolle was terrible at this early in the season. It's like he watched an A-dub highlight film and decided that he could do the same thing b/c he's a safety now. Francisco seemed like he liked to throw a shoulder quite a bit as well.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
First let me say this is a great write up and I agree with a lot of it. I just got some points to make here and there.

Example A: The NT taking on the double team.
Gabe Watson has the bulk, but having lost some of the strength in his knee had a difficult time taking on the double teams.

Thus, it would be very interesting if the Cardinals ever wanted to switch in Darnell Dockett every now and then at NT.

I know it is hard to believe, but even though Watson hurt his knee cap almost a year ago. It was not 100% at any point during the season. When i was in AZ for the season finale against Seattle it was very apparent that he was still limping around. I think 100% healthy Watson will be the "plugger" that the Cardinals want.

As for putting Dockett at NT for a pass rusher, the Cardinals have done this before and it is quite efffective.

Case B: Linebackers blowing up lead plays and screens.

Agreed on all counts. I think Pendy had a hand in this with given the ILB's too much responsibility resulting in slow reactions, etc., etc.

I can live with Dansby and how he plays. He brings speed, coverage ability and leadership. If properly protected Dansby is a good side line to side line guy.

I like Gerald Hayes, he has played well for us. But he has to be upgraded at some point. The SILB has to be able to "blow up a play" as Mitch said. He has to decimate FB's, and be able to take on OL-men need be. Bart Scott, Larry Foote, Andra Davis, Eric Barton, Jeff Ulbrich, and Stephen Cooper are good examples of guys that play the SILB pretty well.

But lets not let the ILB take all the blame. The screen game and some run issues also come from the OLB position. Where we have some of the most undisciplined OLB I have ever seen. Travis LaBoy is the most predictable OLB ever. He knows nothing but how to try and make the outside edge. Berry got better as the year goes on but is still pretty bad. Okeafor....well, he doesn't do too much period.
[/Quote]

Case C: Zone coverage.

Pendy, and he is gone.

Case D: Deep Safety Coverage
Aaron Francisco got caught in no-man's land repeatedly in the playoffs...and for his limited experience at the position (and lack of speed) it's somewhat understandable.

Antrell Rolle likes to ballhawk on the intermediate routes and is good at it, but he offers little deep third help for his CBs.

Fansisco is not inexperienced. He has been playing the same position and the same defense for 3 years. His faults are not understandable, he just sucks.

Antrel Rolle is inexperienced. One year at the position and lost out on valuable training camp experience. It is very frustrating to watch Rolle be out of position. With his speed, and ball skills he should be able to blanket the deep coverage and make plays off of it. Between Rolle and DRC we should never be beaten deep.

There is nothing more to say about anything else. Tackling should be practiced. If you practice tackling then you will get better at it.

But it is a give and tack situation. If you want to get better at tackling then you practice it, but then you must have enough depth to deal with the reprocussions (injuries).

Looking back for the ball is all technique, which Whiz preaches. Hood has to be about to be an old dog learning a new trick.

Getting your hands up to swat passes is all want. Nothing to coach there beside the rushers being more aware.

Great stuff.

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
But lets not let the ILB take all the blame. The screen game and some run issues also come from the OLB position. Where we have some of the most undisciplined OLB I have ever seen. Travis LaBoy is the most predictable OLB ever. He knows nothing but how to try and make the outside edge. Berry got better as the year goes on but is still pretty bad. Okeafor....well, he doesn't do too much period.

Great point on LaBoy. He looked like nothing more than a situational pass rusher this season. He rarely plays the run well and forget about dropping back in pass coverage. I cringe at the thought of him being a true starting OLB next season.

He should be limited to playing in obvious passing situations because that's about all he can do and maybe playing 15 to 20 snaps a game will allow him to stay healthy.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rewatched a couple of games in the last couple of days. The only game in which Dockett stood out at NT is in the Panthers game. In ATL, I'm not sure what his (or A. Smith's, he had 2 reps at that spot) responsibility was in those situations, but he didn't seem interested in penetration... it sorta looked like contain.