$$$ Impact of cutting David Johnson

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we can't trade David Johnson, I think we should cut him. However, we have to sign Kenyon Drake before cutting DJ.

The impact on the 2020 cap on dead money is $16 million. If we keep him in 2020 it will cost us $14 Million
His cap salary for 2021 is $12 Million with a dead cap hit of $3 million. But why spend $14 million on a player that will sit the bench and then have a cap hit in 2021 of $3 million. I hate it but IMO we should do it this off season. We should still have plenty of money to spend on free agents in 2020.

I got the salary numbers from the over the cap web site also it's the same on the sportrac site.

Cutting him gets the salary off the books. I know this sucks but I just don't see anyone but maybe Tampa Bay with BA even interested in him.

Love the hear your thoughts and maybe correct my numbers if I mad a mistake.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Not worth cutting him. Also, you're not guaranteed to retain Drake.

in 2021, it becomes more cap friendly to cut him. However, I hope he figures it out by then and we're not having this discussion anymore

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
TJ, az jam did say that you have to sign Drake before cutting DJ. I don't see us cutting him, though you might be able to trade him, during the season (next) if a contending team has an injury problem.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not worth cutting him. Also, you're not guaranteed to retain Drake.

in 2021, it becomes more cap friendly to cut him. However, I hope he figures it out by then and we're not having this discussion anymore
Exactly. Not smart to cut a player making that much per yr. Nothing is guaranteed on Drake as you said. If Drake has games in the last 2 like he did Sunday (highly unlikely) then he may ask for the moon on his next deal? I'm figuring he will ask for 4 million, that's 20 million for 2 RB's next yr & we still have Edmonds on a rookie contract. If he asks for 6-8 then SK has a decision to make. At 16 million next season we need something out of DJ, otherwise try & trade him & give Drake a little more.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
If he is traded, I’d assume the Cardinals will agree to cover a portion of his salary. It would still cost us money but we wouldn't carry the dead cap space.
If we trade him before 6/1/2020 the dead cap amount would be 6mm
If we trade him after 6/1/2020 the dead cap amount is is 3mm for 2020 and 2021

So the question is, do you want a 6mm dead cap this year only, or two straight 3mm cap hits over 2020 and 2021.

If we release him the numbers get even weirder.

I don't see any way he isn't on the team next year unless we can trade him in training camp to a desperate team in need of a RB. Like Houston was this year. And we would probably get next to nothing for him.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Also...... the decision on Drake will have already been made by this point. So if he's on the team, we are even more screwed cap wise.

If Drake isn't re-signed, we will need a #1 RB again.

I wonder if this could be where some of Fitz's money goes if he retires. And I also wonder if Drake will use the fact that we signed a RB to a big money deal as a reason to ask for the moon from us in the summer.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Also...... the decision on Drake will have already been made by this point. So if he's on the team, we are even more screwed cap wise.

If Drake isn't re-signed, we will need a #1 RB again.

I wonder if this could be where some of Fitz's money goes if he retires. And I also wonder if Drake will use the fact that we signed a RB to a big money deal as a reason to ask for the moon from us in the summer.
I think Drake also understands opportunity to play in a system and for a team that will use him to his strengths...not saying he'll give a hometown discount, but I doubt he bails if $$ is similar elsewhere.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Really? Why? He is healthy now - and he can't perform at an acceptable level - what do you think is going to change over the offseason?

This feeling is unbelievable. Four offseasons in a row when some fans will be making this assertion with NO EVIDENCE.

If he is traded, I’d assume the Cardinals will agree to cover a portion of his salary. It would still cost us money but we wouldn't carry the dead cap space.

You can't do both. If he's not on your roster, but you still have a cap hold, that's additional dead money. We covered a portion of Levi Brown's salary when we re-negotiated a deal with him before trading him to Pittsburgh.

We could restructure Johnson's contract so that $5 million or so of his $14 million guaranteed salary is a bonus, but that would increase the dead money on our books when he got traded.

Fitz has no 2020 cap hold right now; he's a pending free agent. If he's retires, there's no impact. If he re-signs, it eats into our cap space.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Fitz has no 2020 cap hold right now; he's a pending free agent. If he's retires, there's no impact. If he re-signs, it eats into our cap space.

I meant it from the standpoint that we could use a portion of the 11mm it would free up towards another skill position player.

This especially rings true if we draft another WR. That position group would be extremely cheap with 5 rookie contracts in the room. Byrd and Cooper are both free after this year as well but could probably be had for roughly what they made this year I would expect.

Kirk: 1.6mm
Byrd: 720k ish
Cooper: 551k ish
Andy: 1mm
Butler: 711k
Keesean: 637k
6th pick: 5mm ish

That would be our entire room for about the same as Fitz's current salary.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
With the danger of injury to running backs, cutting D.J. is not an option especially carrying a 10 million salary cap hit.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
This especially rings true if we draft another WR. That position group would be extremely cheap with 5 rookie contracts in the room.
Kirk: 1.6mm
Byrd: 720k ish
Cooper: 551k ish
Andy: 1mm
Butler: 711k
Keesean: 637k
6th pick: 5mm ish

That would be our entire room for about the same as Fitz's current salary.

You get what you pay for.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
You get what you pay for.

I guess that is correct with FA's..... but when it comes to rookie deals....... You get who you draft.

None of those 4 will be cut in the offseason IMO.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From the interviews I am hearing from Drake, he sounds like a mercenary. I think he will take the highest offer no matter where it is.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From the interviews I am hearing from Drake, he sounds like a mercenary. I think he will take the highest offer no matter where it is.
Like everybody else
He is here for just less then 2 months and we saw players with an apparently solid bound with the franchise leave for few millions

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard