$$$ Impact of cutting David Johnson

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we can't trade David Johnson, I think we should cut him. However, we have to sign Kenyon Drake before cutting DJ.

The impact on the 2020 cap on dead money is $16 million. If we keep him in 2020 it will cost us $14 Million
His cap salary for 2021 is $12 Million with a dead cap hit of $3 million. But why spend $14 million on a player that will sit the bench and then have a cap hit in 2021 of $3 million. I hate it but IMO we should do it this off season. We should still have plenty of money to spend on free agents in 2020.

I got the salary numbers from the over the cap web site also it's the same on the sportrac site.

Cutting him gets the salary off the books. I know this sucks but I just don't see anyone but maybe Tampa Bay with BA even interested in him.

Love the hear your thoughts and maybe correct my numbers if I mad a mistake.
Keeping him in 2020 will cost us 14.2 million.

Trading him or cutting him for 2020 will cost us 16.2 million. Makes no sense to cut him, eat the dead cap money & get nothing for him.

Trade him & get something for him & money off the books.

Trade him to Tampa for example, let them pay his guaranteed salary for 2020. 10.2 million then we only eat the 6 million in bonus money.

His salary is around 8.2 million in 2021.

By trading him this offseason to Tampa or any other team, we would save the 10.2 million in 2020 & the 8 million in 2021.

That's 18.2 million saved for the next to seasons combined. 12.2 if you subtract the 6 million in bonus money in 2020.

I hope I got those numbers right lol?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Gio Bernard was better in his career and just because Drake finally has a great stretch, you don't overpay ...

Clearly if Drake plays like that all next season, than he is worth maybe 4-5 but, are you sure that will happen? He had stretches like the one with us in Miami as well, and then disapeared.
Bernard is making 5.2 mil this year. If Drake is better than Bernard RIGHT NOW you are going to have to pay him more. Allocating 2.5% of your cap space to your starting RB isn't a terrible plan.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keeping him in 2020 will cost us 14.2 million.

Trading him or cutting him for 2020 will cost us 16.2 million. Makes no sense to cut him, eat the dead cap money & get nothing for him.

Trade him & get something for him & money off the books.

Trade him to Tampa for example, let them pay his guaranteed salary for 2020. 10.2 million then we only eat the 6 million in bonus money.

His salary is around 8.2 million in 2021.

By trading him this offseason to Tampa or any other team, we would save the 10.2 million in 2020 & the 8 million in 2021.

That's 18.2 million saved for the next to seasons combined. 12.2 if you subtract the 6 million in bonus money in 2020.

I hope I got those numbers right lol?

Problem is no one is going to take on his contract. IMO he is finished. There are better runners in the draft. There is no market for him. IMO the only contract he could get is for the vet's minimum if cut. BA may pick him up if cut to see if he could make the team like he did with Elilngton but BA cut him before the season started.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard