If you have a second favourite team what is it?

KAZ

Reaction score
Growing up in South Dakota I did not have many choices: the Vikings or some other far off team. As Minnesota was the neighboring state most Dakotans "had" to cheer for them. My closest friend, Ted, grew up rooting for the Packers as most of his relatives were from Wisconsin. I can remember watching the green and yellow Pack on a small 13" screen eating popcorn and wondering why he cheered for such a pathetic team. At the time I didn't understand why, but now (after many years) I have re-established my "grassroots" (born in St. Louis in '69) and have opened my heart and soul to the Cardinals. I can totally relate my closest friend and his love for the Packers...now.

Strange how a close friend and youth can tweek your impressions.

So the Packers...

KAZ

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
The Buffalo Bills were my favorite team until the Cardinals moved here. So if I had to pick a 2nd team it would be them

Reaction score
Cards all the way

My second favorite is the Broncos. Even planning to take my 13-year old son to Denver for that pre-season game.
I grew up in New Mexico. No way I could root for the Cowboys, so I threw my loyalty behind the Broncos. They're still my favorite AFC team. But as has been mentioned by others, I love watching football. FOOTBALL RULES. I also follow some players and coaches, regardless of the teams they are associated with (however Parcells has stretched my reasonability by joining with the Cowboys).

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No such thing as a second favorite team!

Unless its a different sport altogether! GO CUBS!

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
That came out of left field, why the Jets??

My dad tried to raise me as one. When I was little we'd watch games and we'd root "let's go jets! let's go jets! yaaaaaaay jets!" We'd do that same chant when we watched the Mets, too. :rolleyes:

Corny I know, but the Jets hold sentimental value to me cuz I'm such a freaking daddy's girl.

But of course its Cardinals all the way. :thumbup:

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Shane H said:
No such thing as a second favorite team!

Different strokes I guess. I grew up as a Pats fan. Being a military brat, my permanent address was in Quincy, Mass. I will always root for the Pats as long as they aren't playing the Cardinals. Against any team, as long as it doesn't hurt the Cardinals playoff chances.

If I could choose to have the Cards win one Super Bowl and the Patriots never to win another game forever, I would make that choice immediatly.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
2nd favorite

My second favorite team is the Bears.

There are three very good reasons for this...

1. My wife is from Chicago and is a big Bears fan
2. The Bears were my team before the Cards moved to AZ
3. It is good for my marriage to root for the Bears.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
a distant 3rd...

BTW_ in a distant third place, I like the Packers.. but only because I always have thought it took real men to wear green and yellow on the football field.

Second Deck

Registered
Reaction score
Growing up in the KC area when the Chiefs and Raiders had their brawls. Len Dawson, Otis Taylor, EJ holub. Now I am a loyal Card fan but still follow the Chiefs.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
I'm taking a break from my two-week European vacation (Helsinki and London) to respond to this one:

Indianapolis Colts. Distant second. Only because I grew up in Indiana and have a soft-spot for Indiana teams. Even though the Colts moved there AFTER I went away.

I would never cheer for any team other than the Cards.

Ever.

Except for the ones playing Dallas.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Family
Country
Cardinals

Only those three. No exceptions.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
If you have a second favorite team behind the cardinals you should be hung in public and have smelly tomatoes thrown at you.

People are hanged... portraits are hung... :D

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Notre Dame. Saw Joe Theisman pass for 521 yds against USC and lose.

Dave Casper lived down the hall from me and was a failed 3rd string OG until somebody tried him at TE.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
Jim Omohundro said:
I usually pull for people more than teams.

I'm with you Jim. I wish the best for players like Jake or Aneas. Quality guys that get to show what they can do in a winning organization. For other players, such as Rice, Jones or Blake, I wish utter humiliation. As for the second favorite team though I have none. Ever since the Cards moved here, I'm dedicated to them. It doesn't blind me to recognizing the better teams out there though.

PAQ77

Registered
Reaction score
Raiders... Grew up a fan since childhood. When I moved back to Az in '96, I started following the Cards. Now they've bumped the Raiders to #2. They grew on me like a bad rash. :D

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Bills - Born in Buffalo.

However, now I am a Cards fan for life no matter where I move.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen