I was wrong about Kolb

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
I wanted Hasselbeck or Kyle Orton in the offseason, and I didn't think Kolb was proven enough to be "the guy". I like what I've seen so far.......leadership, scrambling ability and an accurate arm.

He's got one of the league's best in Fitzgerald......all we need is for the O-Line to gel a bit more (yes, people will hate the word "bit"), Beanie to stay healthy and a new WR2 (my sole opinion, I think) and we'll develop nicely.

Brewster10

Registered
Reaction score
I wanted Hasselbeck or Kyle Orton in the offseason, and I didn't think Kolb was proven enough to be "the guy". I like what I've seen so far.......leadership, scrambling ability and an accurate arm.

He's got one of the league's best in Fitzgerald......all we need is for the O-Line to gel a bit more (yes, people will hate the word "bit"), Beanie to stay healthy and a new WR2 (my sole opinion, I think) and we'll develop nicely.

I don't like that he abandons the pocket and/or throws of the back foot when facing pressure.. That being said, the issue is that he's constantly facing pressure due to a crap Oline, specifically the OTs..

Get this guy a year in the playbook, a legit #2 option, and some pass protection and there is no reason he can't be a good QB the next 5-10 yrs

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't like that he abandons the pocket and/or throws of the back foot when facing pressure.. That being said, the issue is that he's constantly facing pressure due to a crap Oline, specifically the OTs..

Get this guy a year in the playbook, a legit #2 option, and some pass protection and there is no reason he can't be a good QB the next 5-10 yrs

Why do the football gods hate us so much. The Ravens get some guy off the street as WR and the first 3 passes he catches are for TDs. All our guys need 3-5 years to become decent NFL players just in time for them to leave as free agents.

You'd think we'd get more than one guy, Boldin in 2003, who could come in and be great or have a great game right away.

Dang this team is frustrating.

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
10 points on offense is worse than what Derek Anderson and Max Hall mustered last year. :(

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

His untimely interceptions have cost us the last two games. OLine or not..... He has to manage situations better than he has the last two weeks.

Last week was egregious. This week was just really poor play on the road.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Why do the football gods hate us so much. The Ravens get some guy off the street as WR and the first 3 passes he catches are for TDs. All our guys need 3-5 years to become decent NFL players just in time for them to leave as free agents.

You'd think we'd get more than one guy, Boldin in 2003, who could come in and be great or have a great game right away.

Dang this team is frustrating.

Torrey Smith? Who they drafted in the 2nd round this year? Not sure when that is classified as "getting a guy off the street". I suppose we could have taken him over Ryan Williams, but I'd still like to see what we've got in Williams.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
He's exceed my expectations. He is young and bound to make mistakes, and his line isn't helping him any, but assuming this is the "still gaining experience and learning the playbook" phase, I'm excited to see the "experienced and master of the playbook" era!!

27Veer

Veteran
Reaction score
He made some terrible decisions today, but I suspect whoever was calling the plays must have been having a brain hemorrhage.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Torrey Smith? Who they drafted in the 2nd round this year? Not sure when that is classified as "getting a guy off the street". I suppose we could have taken him over Ryan Williams, but I'd still like to see what we've got in Williams.

You are going way off on a tangent. Williams is irrelevant other than that they were his first three catches in the NFL. Its the feat not the player.

The point is why don't OUR guys have games like that?

You know like Alphonso Smith maybe rushing for 156 yards and 2 TDs today like guys like Goins do to us.

Or Housler maybe catching 5 passes for 157 yards and 3 TDs.

:bang:

thephoenixson28

All Star
Reaction score
Can't put all the blame on Kolb. Feely did miss 2 field goals. The oline was outplayed, and our defense actually played good today. But its team effort. Lets not call it a season just yet.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
You are going way off on a tangent. Williams is irrelevant other than that they were his first three catches in the NFL. Its the feat not the player.

You know like Alphonso Smith maybe rushing for 156 yards and 2 TDs today like guys like Goins do to us.

Ahhh, I think I did misinterpret your post a bit. I think Williams could have really shown up big if he would have stayed healthy. And I definitely am to the point where I would like to see what Housler could do out there.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His untimely interceptions have cost us the last two games. OLine or not..... He has to manage situations better than he has the last two weeks.

Last week was egregious. This week was just really poor play on the road.
So it was Kolb who fumbled at the end of the game last week? Huh.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
He's new to the team in a lockout shortened year, he's only had 10 starts on a team where he's going to develop a twitch because he never knows if he's about to die or not.

I think he's going to be a keeper, I wouldn't judge him too harshly unless he's still making the same mistakes later on in the year or next year, then yes I will be very concerned, as of now it dosen't much bother me.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I though it was pretty cool that the NFL was going to just give the Cards a game winning FG if Stuckey doesn't fumble.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
He's new to the team in a lockout shortened year, he's only had 10 starts on a team where he's going to develop a twitch because he never knows if he's about to die or not.

I think he's going to be a keeper, I wouldn't judge him too harshly unless he's still making the same mistakes later on in the year or next year, then yes I will be very concerned, as of now it dosen't much bother me.

Well said.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Of course not. It was him throwing the interception at the 10 yard line however. Would we be running the no huddle with a minute left if we go up by 14 points right there? Not likely.

Every play counts. Not just the last one. We shouldn't have been in that situation from the jump.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Agreed. I am worried about a pattern forming, but I would be shortsighted to not admit that he has very little "quality experience" under his belt.

Even Aaron Rodgers needed a year or two under his belt before he became the CEO of Skynet.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Agreed. I am worried about a pattern forming, but I would be shortsighted to not admit that he has very little "quality experience" under his belt.

Even Aaron Rodgers needed a year or two under his belt before he became the CEO of Skynet.

Aaron Rodgers threw for 4000 yards and 28 TDs to 13 INTs his first season as a starter.

I'll take that from Kolb this year.

:D

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I am happy with this teams progress to date. I do however expect more progress as the weeks go on. If that doesn't happen, then I will be upset.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers threw for 4000 yards and 28 TDs to 13 INTs his first season as a starter.

I'll take that from Kolb this year.

:D

He isn't that far off pace, is he?

I think he's currently on pace for something like 4300+ yards, 27 TDs and 16 INTs. Granted, 3 games is too small a sample size to be making season projections.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
He isn't that far off pace, is he?

I think he's currently on pace for something like 4300+ yards, 27 TDs and 16 INTs. Granted, 3 games is too small a sample size to be making season projections.

As of now, he has 812 yards, 5 tds, 3 picks. So thats an average of 270 yards/game. 16 games times 270 is 4320 yards. Not bad with a horrible O-line. The only thing I am really scare of is that he is getting scared(I would too) as how many times he gets hit with no pass protection.

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
He made some terrible decisions today, but I suspect whoever was calling the plays must have been having a brain hemorrhage.

I was able to watch both Ints with binoculars from North end zone. Cards were headed South both times. Seems like receivers were open when he threw the ball. Like DBs baited hook and Kevin got hooked. Poor decision or poor throw? That's open to debate. Bad result which cost Cards chance to win, no question.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

What about Boldin's first game? Eleventy billion times better than Torrey Smith's game.