I bought a guitar

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is no lie, I've had my eyes on that amp for about two weeks now! I'm just waiting for a coupon to drop!

I love my '68 Twin, but that sucker is a back-breaker. I need a grab and go amp that takes pedals and this looks like just the ticket. I'm sure I could replace the reverb tank here:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/

Get it.... I could almost guarantee you'll love it... I haven't gigged, in over a decade, So I'm not sure of it's abilities in a band setting (I would guess good) unless your drummer is Animal, or the band doesn't have an adequate PA.
They are out of stock more times than not, so I can't imagine they won't increase the price sharply at some point.
Even some of the snobbier guys on guitar forums I frequent, are singing their praises.

I went from using Hiwatt 100's or Marshall JCM800's paired via A/B/Y with a 1954 Fender Tweed Deluxe (original )and later a Vox AC30 for clean channel.

My father gave me the 54 deluxe when I was 13-14 or so.... And since I was a wannabe metalhead at the time, I promptly tore all the tweed off it, and painted it black, and made it work with a tube screamer till I had the $$ for my Metal rigs..

To this day, destroying that 54 deluxe (and later selling it for next to nothing) is one of my biggest regrets.
In spite of that... My Father recently gave me his mid 50's Fender 800 (pedal Steel) and I'll never part with it.... They didn't explode in value like the early Strats and Tele's, and I can't play a pedal steel at all.... But I'll treasure it forever.

Ok, sidetracked myself with a sad story...

All that being said... Since I quit gigging, I have been on a decade+ search for an amp that can make me happy in a quiet (everyone in the house is asleep) setting... I won't bore you with the whole list, but it is extensive, Several modded Blues Juniors, A couple newer Vox's..then the Dr Z... I was actually contempt with a Mustang III (digital modeling amp) and I still have it.

But I'm fairly certain, and somewhat sad to admit.... this cheap Chinese made Monoprice amp..... will most likely get the most use from here on out.
It has dual inputs (1 watt and 15)
and the 1 watt setting can get a meaty fat tone, even at 1am when everyone is asleep.

It is THAT good IMO.... I do however feel the need to disclose... that I unplug it every night, so I can sleep better. :D

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get it.... I could almost guarantee you'll love it... I haven't gigged, in over a decade, So I'm not sure of it's abilities in a band setting (I would guess good) unless your drummer is Animal, or the band doesn't have an adequate PA.
They are out of stock more times than not, so I can't imagine they won't increase the price sharply at some point.
Even some of the snobbier guys on guitar forums I frequent, are singing their praises.

Ordered one last night. Hope to see it this week.

I went from using Hiwatt 100's or Marshall JCM800's paired via A/B/Y with a 1954 Fender Tweed Deluxe (original )and later a Vox AC30 for clean channel.
You're my new hero. :notworthy::rockon::notworthy:

My father gave me the 54 deluxe when I was 13-14 or so.... And since I was a wannabe metalhead at the time, I promptly tore all the tweed off it, and painted it black, and made it work with a tube screamer till I had the $$ for my Metal rigs..

To this day, destroying that 54 deluxe (and later selling it for next to nothing) is one of my biggest regrets.
In spite of that... My Father recently gave me his mid 50's Fender 800 (pedal Steel) and I'll never part with it.... They didn't explode in value like the early Strats and Tele's, and I can't play a pedal steel at all.... But I'll treasure it forever.

Ok, sidetracked myself with a sad story...

:oops: The lessons of youth can be painful.

All that being said... Since I quit gigging, I have been on a decade+ search for an amp that can make me happy in a quiet (everyone in the house is asleep) setting... I won't bore you with the whole list, but it is extensive, Several modded Blues Juniors, A couple newer Vox's..then the Dr Z... I was actually contempt with a Mustang III (digital modeling amp) and I still have it.

But I'm fairly certain, and somewhat sad to admit.... this cheap Chinese made Monoprice amp..... will most likely get the most use from here on out.
It has dual inputs (1 watt and 15)
and the 1 watt setting can get a meaty fat tone, even at 1am when everyone is asleep.

It is THAT good IMO.... I do however feel the need to disclose... that I unplug it every night, so I can sleep better. :D

:thumbup:

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
back to my less interesting beginner talk:

I have been simply practicing the songs I know and the key of E for a few weeks just getting used to the 7 notes in that key. My daughter has been playing cigartte daydream a lot and I decided why not, let me look it up so I can play with her. I opened the tab and saw it goes D, D7, EM, G, A. Then I played the song instantly (choppy, but still) and it was a rather good feeling. Now plan to grab another 5-10 songs in the key of E just to keep honing that in and then start working on other keys.

Was a good feeling to be able to just play the song right away based on the knowing all of the chords in the song. Literally played it properly immediately instead of 30 minutes of trial and error slowly learning the song.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have been simply practicing the songs I know and the key of E for a few weeks just getting used to the 7 notes in that key. My daughter has been playing cigartte daydream a lot and I decided why not, let me look it up so I can play with her. I opened the tab and saw it goes D, D7, EM, G, A. Then I played the song instantly (choppy, but still) and it was a rather good feeling. Now plan to grab another 5-10 songs in the key of E just to keep honing that in and then start working on other keys.

Was a good feeling to be able to just play the song right away based on the knowing all of the chords in the song. Literally played it properly immediately instead of 30 minutes of trial and error slowly learning the song.

Good stuff, BRR. You're making progress! Anyone with half a brain can get there, it's all about putting in the time.

Really cool that you and your daughter can bond a little bit too. It's such a fun thing when the family gets involved. Our family parties on the big holidays are all centered around a big "Fam-Band" concert. It's something you can share your entire lives. :thumbup:

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good stuff, BRR. You're making progress! Anyone with half a brain can get there, it's all about putting in the time.

Really cool that you and your daughter can bond a little bit too. It's such a fun thing when the family gets involved. Our family parties on the big holidays are all centered around a big "Fam-Band" concert. It's something you can share your entire lives. :thumbup:

thats what happens during family stuff with the older folks, we did a family thing on sunday and my and my daughter played guitars for a while and then my grandpa and his brothers all jumped in and did their thing. Good times.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love me some fam-band!

In other news, the amp just showed up!! :clapping:

The only problem is I have to go to the wife's work dinner tonight. :mad:

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
thats what happens during family stuff with the older folks, we did a family thing on sunday and my and my daughter played guitars for a while and then my grandpa and his brothers all jumped in and did their thing. Good times.

That's awesome, I tried multiple times to get my daughter (only child) interested in playing... I tried when she was 5... no go
Tried several other times as she got older, but she never showed any interest, I gave up, I had no interest in forcing it on her.

This past weekend, My wife's friend came over with her two young children, Her daughter is 9, and she kept asking her mom "Can you ask him now?"

She knew I played guitar, and wanted her mom to ask if I would play for her!

So I happily sat her in my guitar room, and strummed a few songs that she might be familiar with... I played Miley Cyrus "Party in the USA" on my strat...Not embarrassed that I know it btw lol.. It's a fun little riff!

Then played "Let it go" (Frozen) on my acoustic... Her eye's lit up like I was doing a grandiose magic trick! (No I did not sing along lol)

I asked her if she wanted to try it.... This was her first time holding a guitar, She took to it so quickly! I only spent about 30 minutes, and when she left. she could "cleanly" play Em and D.. With only slight nudging of her fingers from me.... She remembered the patterns/positions after being shown once or twice... and just needed a little help with pressure occasionally to make the notes ring out .

Her mom told my wife that she hasn't stopped talking about how much she loved playing, and asked if I would help them find her a guitar.

I gave her a Takamine that's been collecting dust in my closet, and told mom she could keep it as long as she played it, and didn't abuse it.

Really anxious to hear her in a few months after a few lessons, I'm no teacher, but over the years I've attempted to show dozens of kids (and adults) a few things to get them started, and have no great success stories to share.

I know I never saw someone take to it this naturally.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's awesome, I tried multiple times to get my daughter (only child) interested in playing... I tried when she was 5... no go
Tried several other times as she got older, but she never showed any interest, I gave up, I had no interest in forcing it on her.

This past weekend, My wife's friend came over with her two young children, Her daughter is 9, and she kept asking her mom "Can you ask him now?"

She knew I played guitar, and wanted her mom to ask if I would play for her!

So I happily sat her in my guitar room, and strummed a few songs that she might be familiar with... I played Miley Cyrus "Party in the USA" on my strat...Not embarrassed that I know it btw lol.. It's a fun little riff!

Then played "Let it go" (Frozen) on my acoustic... Her eye's lit up like I was doing a grandiose magic trick! (No I did not sing along lol)

I asked her if she wanted to try it.... This was her first time holding a guitar, She took to it so quickly! I only spent about 30 minutes, and when she left. she could "cleanly" play Em and D.. With only slight nudging of her fingers from me.... She remembered the patterns/positions after being shown once or twice... and just needed a little help with pressure occasionally to make the notes ring out .

Her mom told my wife that she hasn't stopped talking about how much she loved playing, and asked if I would help them find her a guitar.

I gave her a Takamine that's been collecting dust in my closet, and told mom she could keep it as long as she played it, and didn't abuse it.

Really anxious to hear her in a few months after a few lessons, I'm no teacher, but over the years I've attempted to show dozens of kids (and adults) a few things to get them started, and have no great success stories to share.

I know I never saw someone take to it this naturally.
That's awesome, I can imagine the euphoria of playing frozen and watching her eyes light up. There arent many better things on this world than seeing a child that happy

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have been simply practicing the songs I know and the key of E for a few weeks just getting used to the 7 notes in that key.

Well you've been at this a year now. You are progressing really slowly. By now you should now all the basic chords, bar chords, the pentatonic scale and the modes.

What's the hangup? Do you need lessons?

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well you've been at this a year now. You are progressing really slowly. By now you should now all the basic chords, bar chords, the pentatonic scale and the modes.

Bought my first one 8 months ago. Based on the minimal time I have with 3 kids (one is only 18 months), working 55 hours/ 6 ddays a week and spreading myself across many different hobbies... I have been happy with my progression.

Lessons would be fun but that eats in to family time as well.

There was a month or two too that I fell off of the wagon do to having everything put away so the puppy and baby couldn't get to it. When it's in a closet instead of plain sight, out of sight out of mind. I ended up getting a wall mount in my living room and was right on track again afterward.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PS I just read the section you quoted, i do practise scales a lot too along with very few power chords. I don't fully know why scales are important yet but I do enjoy playing them

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigRedRage;3326716. said:
Based on the minimal time I have with 3 kids (one is only 18 months), working 55 hours/ 6 ddays a week and spreading myself across many different hobbies... I have been happy with my progression.

Then why did I give it to you? It's a $700 guitar. I could have either sold it or given it to someone who would use it. :bang:

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then why did I give it to you? It's a $700 guitar. I could have either sold it or given it to someone who would use it. :bang:
You are more than welcome to the guitar, I alternate between it and two others but if you are upset that I don't play it for an hour a day you are more than welcome to take it back. I'm not sure why casually playing it isn't "using it" to you. I put money into it getting it all set up and polished and have played it a ton along with my teenager that is learning with me. I don't feel some sort of beholden burden to make it the sole focus of my free time because someone donated a guitar to me. I can bring it to Fry's electronics tomorrow and you can give it to someone you feel is worthy

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You guys should probably battle this out in texts. :D

I'm not taking sides... But since you aired it here....... When I handed the fairly expensive guitar to a 9 year old kid, I did have my wife tell her mother the following:

"If she plays it, and enjoys it.. She can "borrow" it as long as she wants... But if you notice it hasn't come out of the case for several weeks, kindly fetch it and return it to my wife... Then we'll see how long it takes her to notice it's gone, and reevaluate from there." :)

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys should probably battle this out in texts. :D

I'm not taking sides... But since you aired it here....... When I handed the fairly expensive guitar to a 9 year old kid, I did have my wife tell her mother the following:

"If she plays it, and enjoys it.. She can "borrow" it as long as she wants... But if you notice it hasn't come out of the case for several weeks, kindly fetch it and return it to my wife... Then we'll see how long it takes her to notice it's gone, and reevaluate from there." :)

A PM would make a lot more sense yeah.

There is a big difference between giving one to a 9 year old and offering one to a grown ass man who is already purchasing guitars and never asked for anything. The funniest part is that I was talking about what I have been focusing on primarily lately, not everything I Can do, just what I have been focusing on and trying to perfect. Some weeks I do play for hours, other weeks I might get an hour in only. It is what it is.

The majority of the time I still play my acoustic just because it is faster to get to and I dont have to plug a bunch of stuff in, its my go to guitar while the baby is still awake. It is hard enough to keep her from turning my tuning keys let alone pulling out my amp and her seeing knobs everywhere begging to be turned! :)

That along with knowing how much easier my electrics are once I set the acoustic down and pick those up, I feel focusing on the acoustic is making me that much better. I often tend to pick a few things to learn and focus on them for quite a while. I would benefit from having more thrown at me I imagine but its tough to do sometimes with everything else going on. With all the focus I have dedicated to the key of E though, I think now that everything is pretty flawless for me, I may grab 5-10 songs in key of e and just try them all out, I bet ill be able to play them right away. Pretty damn cool!

I was thinking last night too I should look up some childrens songs. I am sure my other kids will sing them with me while I play them for my 18 month old. Sounds like fun :D

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BRR and I have met before. He hauled away my behemoth TV for free so I could get a flat-screen. So he helped me out.

If I can help him out back, I'm glad to. Plus he is an ASFNer.

:confused:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only got to spend about ten minutes with the new amp so far, but she sounds great with single-coils. Both inputs are way fun. My wife thought I was using one of my 2x12 cabs because of how loud it was.

I can confirm the reverb does indeed suck. ;)

Used my "castaway" pedal board in front and it took my Tube Screamer and SD-1 with ease. Lovely tones with the front end pushed.

I won't be able to play more until next week, but I can't wait. Perfect grab and go amp that I was hoping for. If she holds up, I may just buy another one to keep at my buddy's place in Sedona.

Thanks for pushing me over the hump on the purchase, SoCal. :thumbup:

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my great uncle had an amp called a "Line 6 Spider Jam"

It has two inputs so can play two guitars at a time and some sweet preset sounds including blues. Anyone have experience with it? To my knowledge I can claim my current amp is broken, return it, get a full refund and apply that to the Line 6 Spider Jam

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you like about your current amp?

What don't you like about your current amp?

What do you want it to do that it doesn't currently?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson