I bought a guitar

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still playing? I'm sure your back stuff probably stole some time away, but have you had any time to practice?
Still picking it up when I can but still not playing as much as I want to. Lately maybe once a week.

Still playing wonder wall and making up songs with the 5 or 6 chords I know. The back stuff for sure slowed me down but I could still play fine before the surgery. Right now sitting requires strange positions until the hole in my back heals

Can you suggest a good rock song with only 3-4 chords (no power chords) that would be relatively simple to learn?

I have been playing a lot of Em, dsus, G and I don't remember the other two at the moment but I need a song that uses different chords to learn some new ones.

One only played the electric once, it's awesome but hard to play with babies, puppies and etc in the house. I'm cool with that though as I wanted to learn on acoustic first anyway and then shred n the electric. It's more fun but being able to shred on it will be a whole new ball game
You must be registered for see images attach
Lol

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe you expressed interest in 'Wish You Were Here', so learn the basic chords for that one, super easy and repetitive throughout the song. A classic sing-along!

C...D...Am...G...D

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe you expressed interest in 'Wish You Were Here', so learn the basic chords for that one, super easy and repetitive throughout the song. A classic sing-along!

C...D...Am...G...D

I very much want to learn that but I have a lot of trouble with the finger picking songs right now, still trying to focus on strumming songs.

When something like that is:

C...D...Am...G...D

Do I just strum every string in C slower than normal or do I put C on the fret and play with it until I find the proper finger picking pattern to get the sound I want?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I very much want to learn that but I have a lot of trouble with the finger picking songs right now, still trying to focus on strumming songs.

When something like that is:

C...D...Am...G...D

Do I just strum every string in C slower than normal or do I put C on the fret and play with it until I find the proper finger picking pattern to get the sound I want?

So, the song starts out with the riff and then a solo. Skip that. At about 1:10, a guitar comes in clearly strumming C. That's where you start. When he starts singing "So, so you think...", it changes to D, "Heaven from Hell..." change to Am, and so on. You've used Ultimate Guitar before, just print out the chord chart, not the tab, and you'll see the chord changes in relation to the lyrics which should help you get the basic strumming rhythm. Learn the chords and try to play along with the song and it will start to make sense.

Good luck.

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
Wish You Were Here...one of the first songs I learned to play on guitar. Now I'm pretty competent playing both guitar parts, keyboards, and bass on it. Still play it with my band occasionally. Always a hit whenever we play out.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazing how well it holds up considering it came out in 1975. It seems to work for every generation.

Reaction score
So, the song starts out with the riff and then a solo. Skip that. At about 1:10, a guitar comes in clearly strumming C. That's where you start. When he starts singing "So, so you think...", it changes to D, "Heaven from Hell..." change to Am, and so on. You've used Ultimate Guitar before, just print out the chord chart, not the tab, and you'll see the chord changes in relation to the lyrics which should help you get the basic strumming rhythm. Learn the chords and try to play along with the song and it will start to make sense.

Good luck.

Great. Now the song is stuck in my head. Thanks puck. :D

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good luck.

Hmm. Ill have to listen to it tonight. I could swear it was mostly finger picking but I am thinking of the beginning of the song.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bar chords feel so rudimentary but sound so cool. Wife and baby out of town this week so finally playing with the electric. Its funny how having everything out and set up I play 3 times a day but when everything is put away I play twice a week.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bar chords feel so rudimentary but sound so cool. Wife and baby out of town this week so finally playing with the electric. Its funny how having everything out and set up I play 3 times a day but when everything is put away I play twice a week.

Increased my practice time ten fold when I bought one of these:

http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GS415B.html

They make ones that mount on the wall too.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just keep working on 'Wonderwall' until she starts to swoon and all will be well. :D

Now I am playing that and the intro to "them Bones"

crawling progress but still progress.

finding I have a lot more fun playing the electric. Might just start converting to it so I play more.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I am playing that and the intro to "them Bones"

crawling progress but still progress.

finding I have a lot more fun playing the electric. Might just start converting to it so I play more.

Try this sometime. Grab the acoustic for the first 5 minutes and run through the songs/riffs you want to practice. Then grab the electric and finish your session. Your fingers will feel strong and the notes will come much easier which may lead to greater satisfaction with the session.

It's kind of like stretching out before a run.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try this sometime. Grab the acoustic for the first 5 minutes and run through the songs/riffs you want to practice. Then grab the electric and finish your session. Your fingers will feel strong and the notes will come much easier which may lead to greater satisfaction with the session.

It's kind of like stretching out before a run.

Makes sense, thx!

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you learning scales yet?

No not yet, just been focused on standard chords. If I transition to 90% electric I will probably be switching to power chords and scales though. Ive had ups and downs in practice time so havent ventured in to too much outside of the 8 chords I have been working on.

My buddy that was over has zero guitar under his belt and seeing him try to do the stuff I am doing showed me that I have made quite a bit of progress either way.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to figure out all of the switches on this electric guitar too, I am sure I can find a user manual online.