I bought a guitar

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Joining late, but this is an awesome thread.

I used to play all the time, I actually played in a band for a while in my early twenties, which man, seems like a lifetime ago.

I still have my Taylor acoustic, but I never play it, you've inspired me to dust it off and see if I can still play at all BRR.

How's it going? Still playing? It is awesome that you are doing this. #NeverTooLate

Dont worry, Calluses will definitely build up and the pain goes away. (There is an easy joke there but I'm totally taking the high road, sortof) lol

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joining late, but this is an awesome thread.

I used to play all the time, I actually played in a band for a while in my early twenties, which man, seems like a lifetime ago.

I still have my Taylor acoustic, but I never play it, you've inspired me to dust it off and see if I can still play at all BRR.

How's it going? Still playing? It is awesome that you are doing this. #NeverTooLate

Dont worry, Calluses will definitely build up and the pain goes away. (There is an easy joke there but I'm totally taking the high road, sortof) lol

I am able to play far more often now so the callus is coming along slowly.

I feel pretty comfortable with the intro to wonderwall now. I figured out some tweaks in the strumming pattern I had wrong and it sounds great when I get it right now.

At this point I am deciding if I should learn the rest of wonderwall or pick up a new song with different chords.

I mean, I can grab the guitar and just play the intro for 30 minutes but it gets boring just doing the same thing over and over =P

Switching to the electric is crazy. I will battle and battle with the acoustic until im going nuts and then pull out the electric and its like a kids toy. So glad I am learning on acoustic.

Still want to get rocksmith and try that out too.

So yeah, I am sticking with it. I get limited time for now but as the baby gets older playing more will be easier. Right now I am getting 30-60 minutes 2-3 days a week. Still enjoying it.

Wonderwall isnt a favorite song or anything either, I think the next song will have to be a song I like a lot. Maybe some sabbath or something.

Heading to one of my best friends house on Sunday as they just had a baby, he is a musician and I plan to jam with him and get my first in person instruction. I have talked to people here, guys at work and etc but I have yet to sit down with a guitarist and fiddle around. Should be fun.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I am able to play far more often now so the callus is coming along slowly.

I feel pretty comfortable with the intro to wonderwall now. I figured out some tweaks in the strumming pattern I had wrong and it sounds great when I get it right now.

At this point I am deciding if I should learn the rest of wonderwall or pick up a new song with different chords.

I mean, I can grab the guitar and just play the intro for 30 minutes but it gets boring just doing the same thing over and over =P

Switching to the electric is crazy. I will battle and battle with the acoustic until im going nuts and then pull out the electric and its like a kids toy. So glad I am learning on acoustic.

Still want to get rocksmith and try that out too.

So yeah, I am sticking with it. I get limited time for now but as the baby gets older playing more will be easier. Right now I am getting 30-60 minutes 2-3 days a week. Still enjoying it.

Wonderwall isnt a favorite song or anything either, I think the next song will have to be a song I like a lot. Maybe some sabbath or something.

Heading to one of my best friends house on Sunday as they just had a baby, he is a musician and I plan to jam with him and get my first in person instruction. I have talked to people here, guys at work and etc but I have yet to sit down with a guitarist and fiddle around. Should be fun.

Hey it's all about finding stuff that you can play, because that's what keeps you going. When you have those first few moments of; hey, I'm playing that song and it totally sounds like THAT song!!! It's an awesome feeling.

Case in point the first song I ever learned to play was Summer of 69 by Bryan Adams, I have no idea why lol.

You know what is awesome for jamming when you are first starting out and playing with someone who is really good? Learn a few blues chords. When I first started my friend John taught me 4 blues chords, I would play them however I wanted and he would just solo over me and people would be like; Dude YOU GUYS sound awesome! When in reality he was doing all the work. It's a lot of fun.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey it's all about finding stuff that you can play, because that's what keeps you going. When you have those first few moments of; hey, I'm playing that song and it totally sounds like THAT song!!! It's an awesome feeling.

Case in point the first song I ever learned to play was Summer of 69 by Bryan Adams, I have no idea why lol.

You know what is awesome for jamming when you are first starting out and playing with someone who is really good? Learn a few blues chords. When I first started my friend John taught me 4 blues chords, I would play them however I wanted and he would just solo over me and people would be like; Dude YOU GUYS sound awesome! When in reality he was doing all the work. It's a lot of fun.

This is so true! Great advice, Bert. In fact, the more experienced player is probably dying to have someone that just sticks to rhythm so he can solo and not have to keep trading off and "share the spotlight". ;)

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good idea, I could handle that.

My Capo came in the mail last night. Wonderwall sounds even better. I didnt have time to pull up a video and my strumming was off again but it sounded solid, just need to refresh my strum pattern and do it over and over for 30 minutes tonight.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good idea, I could handle that.

My Capo came in the mail last night. Wonderwall sounds even better. I didnt have time to pull up a video and my strumming was off again but it sounded solid, just need to refresh my strum pattern and do it over and over for 30 minutes tonight.

Where are you getting your music charts from?

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
So, I have downloaded the tabs for Oasis - Wonderwall. Strong acoustic, easy to hear. I plan to be able to play most of it if not all of it by Sunday. Wish me luck! it is mostly only 4 chords, sometimes 5 and a lot of the notes are SUS which I think will help me a lot as it involves less hand movement when changing chords.

Haha, Wonderwall was one of the first songs I learned as well. I think it's a right of passage.

Appropriate:

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha, Wonderwall was one of the first songs I learned as well. I think it's a right of passage.

Appropriate:

Awesome!

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Appropriate:

Hilarious! :biglaugh:

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the best is the kid in the yellow jacket looks like he is getting ready to play EMSUS which is the first strum of wonderwall too

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
How I look when playing my guitar:

How I THINK I look when playing my guitar:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I don't particularly care for Family Guy, but this is great:

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
split my finger open saturday, couldnt play guitar at buddys house! (its minor, just enough that typing hurts)

:fail:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
alright fine, Ilk is going into my signature or something. it is time.

Great band name. :idea:

This Saturday, for one night only at the Mesa Amphitheater, get ready to rock your socks off with Big Red Rage and the Ilk! :applause:

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still playing? I'm sure your back stuff probably stole some time away, but have you had any time to practice?

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA