Houdini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the stadium issue crosses over from Sports into Politics. It is a political issue.

And in the political arena, there are simply some people who are against everything. There is no "quality of life" argument to them. They are simply against anything that costs any money at all. Screw the schools, screw the stadium, screw the police. They refuse to stop and think "HEY, MAYBE HAVING A SUPER BOWL, THE FIESTA BOWL, AND 10 NFL GAMES PER YEAR IN PHOENIX WILL BE GOOD FOR THE COMMUNITY". They just think "It costs money, I'm against it".

That's really sad. I assume Arizona politics are worse than most because of the transplants.

One Super Bowl in that stadium will pump more money into the Maricopa County economy than you can shake a stick at. How some people can't see that is beyond me.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed B
I assume Arizona politics are worse than most because of the transplants.

I think you're exactly right.

People treat this state like a rental.
You don't put new tires on a rental. You beat the crap out of it, then get a different one.

And when they're done with it, they complain about the service at the front desk.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
I think you're exactly right.

People treat this state like a rental.
You don't put new tires on a rental. You beat the crap out of it, then get a different one.

And when they're done with it, they complain about the service at the front desk.

I feel that, at it's core, this issue boils down to a native Arizonan's mindset. Everywhere I've ever lived, the people had a singular mindset that defined the community. I believe that the philosophy that prevails amongst native Arizonans is "you do your thing, I'll do mine". As others have poured into this Valley, there is no community identity to conform to a singular mindset, because it is individual-based.

Go to Seattle, Portland, Frisco, Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, or New York and try to act like these jack-asses! That kind of crap wouldn't fly there, they would be forced by societal factors to conform or get out. Here they can remain who they where before arriving here, and get a way with it.

I work with so many people from everywhere else that say, “New York/Buffalo/Boston/Philly is the best”, or “God Bless Texas”. I always ask them the same thing; “Why are you here? If it’s so great where you’re from, why did you leave?”

I grew up in the wonderful State of Washington, I lived for 10 years in the beauty of Oregon, and I’ve lived here in the Valley for over seven years now. My children attend these schools, I pay my taxes, and my money stays here. I love it here in Arizona, and I consider myself an Arizonan! I feel at home here, and I wouldn’t want to leave!

So, to those of you who live in this Valley who think it’s better where you’re from instead of where you are, GO BACK! Go “home” and enjoy your lives where you can find true happiness. And if you’re a winter-vistor (snowbird), leave us your money, hit the links, stay out of my way at Safeway, and then get out!

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed B
Unfortunately, the stadium issue crosses over from Sports into Politics. It is a political issue.

And in the political arena, there are simply some people who are against everything. There is no "quality of life" argument to them. They are simply against anything that costs any money at all. Screw the schools, screw the stadium, screw the police. They refuse to stop and think "HEY, MAYBE HAVING A SUPER BOWL, THE FIESTA BOWL, AND 10 NFL GAMES PER YEAR IN PHOENIX WILL BE GOOD FOR THE COMMUNITY". They just think "It costs money, I'm against it".

That's really sad. I assume Arizona politics are worse than most because of the transplants.

One Super Bowl in that stadium will pump more money into the Maricopa County economy than you can shake a stick at. How some people can't see that is beyond me.

I would imagine the retiree's and snow birds do not help as well.

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by PortlandCardFan
I would imagine the retiree's and snow birds do not help as well.

Yeah. I think when people reach a certain age they figure "screw it, I won't live to see the benefits of this" and they get very tight-assed about taxes and stuff like that.

The rabid anti-tax parts of the political landscape just baffle me. I mean, everyone wants to see their taxes as low as possible and no one likes seeing government money wasted, but sometimes I think there are some people who assume the roads, cops, firemen, garbage disposal, stadiums, and zoos are free.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
You know.... I loved growing up in Arizona (Prescott) but there really was no future if I stayed there. When I graduated from High School I new for several years that I would join the Marine Corp.

I would love to move back to AZ but if I did I would want to move back to Prescott. The Valley is a great place to visit but I am not sure I would enjoy living there (during the summer anyway).

Thinks aren't so great here in Oregon either. Hell our government has manage to screw our school system so bad that they were going to close the schools for 24 day this year. They finally decide to close for 14 days and the teach would work and not get paid for 10.

How screwed is that??

All though It does come back on use because there was a vote to raise taxes but it was a no go.

This whole education thing has my wife and I thinking of moving. I have a 4 year old and a 3 month old. Education is now a serious concern for me.

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
You know.... I loved growing up in Arizona (Prescott) but there really was no future if I stayed there. When I graduated from High School I new for several years that I would join the Marine Corp.

I would love to move back to AZ but if I did I would want to move back to Prescott. The Valley is a great place to visit but I am not sure I would enjoy living there (during the summer anyway).

Thinks aren't so great here in Oregon either. Hell our government has manage to screw our school system so bad that they were going to close the schools for 24 day this year. They finally decide to close for 14 days and the teach would work and not get paid for 10.

How screwed is that??

All though It does come back on use because there was a vote to raise taxes but it was a no go.

This whole education thing has my wife and I thinking of moving. I have a 4 year old and a 3 month old. Education is now a serious concern for me.

I remember when I moved, that was one of the factors. You have all of this "California" money moving in, and they vote no to anything that involves a new tax. So everything just rots away. I can still remember that it wasn't too uncommon to hear about another car with California plates getting run off the road...I guess that Oregonians should have not stopped that practice...

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinals.Ken
I remember when I moved, that was one of the factors. You have all of this "California" money moving in, and they vote no to anything that involves a new tax. So everything just rots away. I can still remember that it wasn't too uncommon to hear about another car with California plates getting run off the road...I guess that Oregonians should have not stopped that practice...

Yeah...

A lot of Portland area people are moving to Vancouver, WA. because of this whole Education thing.

I heard like 500 families a week (I think it is total BS) for a while there.

I think the whole Californian's moving up here has subsided. The unemployment rate in OR is the highest in the country (last I heard anyway).

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
How is that Growth Initiative treating you guys in Portland?

I heard that it's actually made the sprawl worse.

They are suppose to increase the growth boundry but I do not know what that will do. I haven't really kept my eye on the whole thing so I really couldn't say. It is suppose to help attract business here so they can build new facilities.

Most of the people here like the growth boundry.

I know do semi big events went down last month with Luftstansa and Mexicana Airlines opening up flights to Germany (can't remember city) and Mexico City.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yeah...

A lot of Portland area people are moving to Vancouver, WA. because of this whole Education thing.

I heard like 500 families a week (I think it is total BS) for a while there.

I think the whole Californian's moving up here has subsided. The unemployment rate in OR is the highest in the country (last I heard anyway).

500 a week. Dang wish I owned a UHaul store in that area. I have relatives in Walla Walla. That has nothing to do with this I just like saying Walla Walla.

Walla Walla.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Do you like Onions???

Oh yeah! Walla Walla Sweets are excellent.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some of us in NJ are monitoring this Oregon planning wrinkle.

My US Rep, Rush Holt, is friendly with a US Rep from Oregon (I always forget his name) who was a prime mover of this concept. I heard the guy from your area speak - he was impressive.

A variant of this idea - at least in NJ - is to rehab previously developed areas and channel growth there rather than moving on to "improve" undeveloped farmland or woodlands elsewhere in the state (which incidently is the most densely populated in the US).

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
My US Rep, Rush Holt, is friendly with a US Rep from Oregon (I always forget his name) who was a prime mover of this concept. I heard the guy from your area speak - he was impressive.

I hope it wasn't Mike Kopetski...UGH!!

I was curious, can you pump your own gas in Jersey? When I moved to Oregon (years ago) I remember that Oregon and New Jersey were the only states where you couldn't pump your own gas...

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
I hope it wasn't Mike Kopetski...UGH!!

I was curious, can you pump your own gas in Jersey? When I moved to Oregon (years ago) I remember that Oregon and New Jersey were the only states where you couldn't pump your own gas...

I hate that I cannot pump my on gas hear in Oregon. It drives me nuts.

How can such a little thing be such a pain in the arse??

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I hate that I cannot pump my on gas hear in Oregon. It drives me nuts.

How can such a little thing be such a pain in the arse??

Your kidding me! I was there a few years ago and thought it was just good customer service. I didn't know it was against the law to pump your own. :confused:

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
Originally posted by AzCards21
Your kidding me! I was there a few years ago and thought it was just good customer service. I didn't know it was against the law to pump your own. :confused:

Yup...my first time trying to pump my own gas almost ended up being a fight...I swear the dude at the gas-station tried to shoudler-block me away from the pump!

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Originally posted by AzCards21

I have seen motorcyclist ask to pump their own gas and get away with it.

Thats bout it...

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yup...my first time trying to pump my own gas almost ended up being a fight...I swear the dude at the gas-station tried to shoudler-block me away from the pump!

LOL! Maybe he thought you were auditioning for his job!

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a used to be outsider, maybe I can shed a little light on this subject. My wife and I decided to relocate from Southern Illinois to Arizona in 1982. We had spent about 4 months out here in 1981 while I closed down an residential contruction operation we had had going here and we both fell in love with the place. We're from a small town of about 50,000 and probably knew half of those people (I had spent the first 40 years of my life in that one area). We moved here because of the weather (sunshine) and the wealth of opportunity in the industrial constrution industry (my expertise). <p>Why do people long to go back to the midwest----because of the people who live there. They are much friendlier and the majority of people think alike. You don't have the wild swings from liberal to conservative like you have in AZ. (people from the east coast vs. people from the west coast). Very few people try to take advantage of you back there simply because everyone knows everyone else and if someone does pull something stupid, they are ostrasized. In AZ with 100,000 people moving into this area from all over the world every year, you have a constant influx of people and the resultant turnover in jobs is unbelievable. People are constantly moving from job to job and actually from career to career as job changes aren't limited to a chosen field. <p>With this great turnover and constant movement of people, it's hard to make and keep real friends. People move in and out so fast, you don't have time to get to really know them. In the midwest, most people are working at the same job they started at when they retire. And they're living in the first house they bought when they were young. Same people, same faces, year after year. It's comfortable and reassuring. In order to live in AZ, you have to get past that, enjoy change, and make friends quicker and more often. A lot of people can't adjust to that, so they become surly and anti-social and contribute to the very problem they are upset about. <p>Sorry----didn't mean to ramble on like this----just my personal observations.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Hey 40yearfan,

I was born in Southern Ill. Highland to be specific (bout 90 minutes from St. Louis).

My dad still has family in Bellville and Carlyle.

Move from Ill. in 1979.

It is hard for me to remember how things were back then since I was only 12 when I left.

I loved AZ when I moved there. My perspective was all wrong when I moved though.

I thought I lived in po-dunk little town of Prescott which had like 30,000 population in 85. When I went back to Highland a few years back I found out that Highland only had a population of 8000. I was completely stupified.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the dumbest thread I have seen on this site...because the vast majority of the Arizona people (including posters on this board), are transplants. Completely idiotic.

I am a Bears fan first, Cards fan second. Gonna run me off like you did Houdini? If so let me know and I will leave.

I can't even believe this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
This is the dumbest fvcking thread I have seen on this site...because the vast majority of the Arizona people (including posters on this board), are transplants. Completely idiotic.

I am a Bears fan first, Cards fan second. Gonna run me off like you did Houdini? If so let me know and I will leave.

I can't even believe this thread.

What are you talking about???

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The attack first on Houdini, that near as I can tell was unwarranted from what he has done on this board recently (I have been out of the loop for a day or so and am not going to read every post looking for what started all this).

Second, there is a tearing apart of transplants on this thread, of which I am one 10 years ago and quite frankly I am sick of the belly-aching about transplants.

Houdini was told straight out to go back to a Fudge-Packer Board...which by the way is such an ignorant thing to say. I always felt this board was on a higher level intellectually...then this happens.

So I have never hidden I am a Bears fan (oh and by the way I voted against the stadium...not because I didn't want it but because I had no faith in who was running it (Ferris). I felt it would be a disaster with him in control and couldn't vote for it.

So, therefore, if everyone is running off people because they are fans of another team or they voted against the stadium, fine. Let me know and I will leave. Not going to waste my time here I am unwanted.

See. Now I am all worked up over this stupid ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson