Grade the Suns 2013 draft

Grade the Suns 2013 draft

• Total voters

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I know its too early and none of us really know how good these guys will turn out to be but based on what we know about these prospects, grade the Suns draft.

I'm gonna give it a C minus. The Suns passed on McLemore and then took someone who likely they could have still got by trading down and adding assets. Phoenix also didn't trade Gortat or acquire another pick in the draft. And please don't tell me that nobody wanted him, prior to the draft everyone hated this draft and rumors were that teams were selling their picks or making their picks available for proven vets. The Suns wanted Gortat to stay and mentor Len which I think is one of the dumbest things I have heard and Hornacek lost a lot of credibility from me for making such a statement.

I like Len so I won't completely crucify the selection but it just irritates me that we passed on McLemore for him. Len is a high risk/high away type guy so maybe he pays off for us in the long run. Better than the Marshall selection last year, that's for sure. Len can actually play basketball and is very athletic.

We still didn't address the SG position just like last year when we passed on Fournier and refused to trade Gortat to move up and draft a SG. We could have had Ricky Ledo or Jamaal Franklin in the 2nd round for probably just cash but we stood PAT. Hell, we could have had the best SG in the draft in McLemore and we passed on that too!

I don't really like or hate the Oriakhi pick. If he turns out well, great, if not who cares it was a 2nd rd pick anyway.

I like the Goodwin pick a lot and that (along with me liking Len as a prospect) saves this from being a complete F.

Obviously, like I said, this is just based on what we know right now. These guys could all turn out to very good but we won't know for some time.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A solid F+. But my rating is mostly fueled by disappointment from not drafting who I wanted.

Steve

HooverDam

Reaction score
I gave it a D.

Len has a high floor, but who cares? At best he's what, Marcin Gortat? We've seen what a Marcin Gortat led team can do, and its nothing. When McLemore and Noel are there, the guys with the two highest ceilings, you have to take one of them-- I don't care which. You don't pass on 2 athletic freaks for a big doofy white guy.

The idea of having Gortat mentor Len is moronic, I would've much rather traded Gortat. But now Gortat, if kept, will give the Suns a few extra wins, and keep us out of the Andrew Wiggins sweepstakes. Meanwhile, he'll do very little mentoring to be sure (how well did he mentor RoLo?). Its not like he's freakin' Hakeem...just...bleck.

In the middle of the draft, there are trades whirling around, and are the Suns anywhere to be found? Nope. I would've loved to have moved up for Shabazz, who knows if he'll pan out, but in the middle of the first round, you take him 'just in case.'

Then they do a bizarre move and trade up one spot. I still haven't heard what they gave up, I assume cash...? I totally dislike the Archie Goodwin pick. He's a combo guard that can't shoot as well as a 2 (26% from the college 3), and is too dumb to be a 1. I would've much rather had Carrick Felix or someone like him there, just get an athletic, hustling wing who you know will be around 5 years from now because he works his butt off.

Its just a really disappointing night. It seemed like finally the Suns were going to 'get it', but now we get to look forward to Kendall Marshall- Alex Len pick and rolls, which would devastate the ACB League.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It's hard to grade this. Alex Len will either be a bust or a very productive player. Same goes for Goodwin. I would have taken McLemore, and then tried to trade for a big man, but I'll give the new GM the benefit of the doubt and will wait and see how Len turns out.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I gave them a B, because I think the late picks (Nedovic and Oriakhi) worked out pretty well. They're both long shots, but I can at least see the upside, and the possibility that either might pan out doesn't seem too far-fetched.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I gave them a B, because I think the late picks (Nedovic and Oriakhi) worked out pretty well. They're both long shots, but I can at least see the upside, and the possibility that either might pan out doesn't seem too far-fetched.

Nedovic is going to the Warriors

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
F

With McLemore on the board as well as Noel, this is disgusting. How many white bigs have the Suns taken over the yearstht have been labled "not tough enough", and "soft"? it has NEVER worked out. Like everyone else said, why do Suns still have Gortat!?? They were in position to come out with what little value this draft had.
This franchise disgusts me right now. I have fallen from superfan to 'ill re-evaluate in 10 years' type of fan.
This franchise is being run int the ground.

TJ

Reaction score
Horny & co. better know what the hell they're doing. I have visions of Robin Lopez dancing in my head. What's worse is McLemore and Noel were both there for the taking.

Goodwin is fine, as long as they realize he's an awful PG and nothing more than a spot up shooter.

Solid D.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Len would have been fine, if he was the best player available. While it's possible that he was, the Suns did pass on two other prominent players to get him. Len appears to have a lower ceiling than either Noel or McLemore and was also injured with ankle problems. So the risk is still there, and the reward appears limited at this point. Hard to get excited about that, even though Len seems like a solid project generally highly regarded by scouts. McLemore would have been my pick, because the Suns really need a wing player with potential for stardom, even if remote. They may have to way until next summer to try to get that player again.

It is a bit perplexing why, after all the players they brought in for workouts and all the possible trade scenarios involving current Suns players, the only move they end up making is to move up one spot to #29. You'd think they would have been more active, but we think that every year and yet it never happens, new management or not.

With that second pick they also passed on some players, most notably Glen Rice, Jr. Time will tell if that was another oversight.

C+

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Horny & co. better know what the hell they're doing. I have visions of Robin Lopez dancing in my head. What's worse is McLemore and Noel were both there for the taking.

Goodwin is fine, as long as they realize he's an awful PG and nothing more than a spot up shooter.

Solid D.

Rolo seems like a strong comparison. To pass on Noel/Mac is almost unbelievable.

Our new GM better be damn sure about Len, because Len will be forever tied to the other two.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Solid D.
Lol that makes me laugh. If there is one thing that Goodwin sucks at, its shooting. The reason he dropped this much is cause he's an awful shooter. He's best at taking it to the rim and said to be among the best in NCAA in driving to the hoop and finishing with contact and getting to the FT line.

Spot up shooter...lmao! That's when you know a poster doesn't have any idea of what he's talking about.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
A

The fact that the Suns passed on McLemore and Noel proves that they did have Len at the top of their draft board. Archie Goodwin may be a gem.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

Solid D.

Great to see that you've done your research before voting.

1 - Lopez? Why? Because he's tall? Lopez is so awkward and lumbering. Len moves really well.

2 - Am I the only one who has serious doubts about Noel? One, the Suns were worried about his knee, which is a huge red flag considering the source. Two, he has the offensive game of a 7th grader. Three, he is going to get killed in the NBA unless he puts on some weight.

3 - Admittedly, I'd probably have taken McLemor over Len. But, watching college games on TV and highlight videos on YouTube doesn't make me an expert. That said, I'm a little weary that McLemore will flame out and never be the star that some think he can be. Lacks the killer instinct?

3 - Goodwin is actually the complete opposite of a spot-up shooter. It's his major weakness right now. Ton of potential but definitely a project. Love the pick though. Could end up being a huge steal in a few years.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1 - Lopez? Why? Because he's tall? Lopez is so awkward and lumbering. Len moves really well.

2 - Am I the only one who has serious doubts about Noel? One, the Suns were worried about his knee, which is a huge red flag considering the source. Two, he has the offensive game of a 7th grader. Three, he is going to get killed in the NBA unless he puts on some weight.

The guy plays defense like it's his last play EVERY PLAY. The only thing the Suns have been talking about is how "skilled" Len is...who couldn't even make the 3rd team All-ACC squad, nor elevate them to a tourney bid. Oh yeah...and he's already got injury problems...and disappears for long stretches.

SOFT EURO CENTER. We already HAVE one of those.

3 - Admittedly, I'd probably have taken McLemor over Len. But, watching college games on TV and highlight videos on YouTube doesn't make me an expert. That said, I'm a little weary that McLemore will flame out and never be the star that some think he can be. Lacks the killer instinct?

As opposed to Len...who disappears in games? Can't knock one guy's killer instinct and not knock Len for exactly the same thing.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The guy plays defense like it's his last play EVERY PLAY. The only thing the Suns have been talking about is how "skilled" Len is...who couldn't even make the 3rd team All-ACC squad, nor elevate them to a tourney bid. Oh yeah...and he's already got injury problems...and disappears for long stretches.

SOFT EURO CENTER. We already HAVE one of those.
So does Noel though. And Len played with idiots in Maryland who had no idea how to get him the ball and utilize him. Had Len played in Kentucky with a bunch of future first round picks and Noel played with the idiots in Maryland, Len would probably be a hands down first overall pick while Noel would probably be seen as a late lottery guy.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I gave them a B, marked down because they didn't seem interested in moving Gortat - I can't imagine a plan where he fits in our rebuilding. Its hard to imagine they couldn't have traded him for a pick in the teens where could have selected Adams or Dieng.

I believe choosing Len over Noel was an informed choice - they saw far more of the two of them than any of us and had our training staff to advise them. My most fervent wish was that we'd build toward a strong defensive frontcourt so I wasn't in favor of using our best pick on a scorer like McLemore.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm a sceptical with the Len pick.
But...
- in comparison to Noel, obviously Suns know something. I mean they coveted an athletic defensive C, yet passed on from Noel.
Len is injured too, but a broken foot is easier to heal than a knee... Where their could be some after effects if not, never achieve 100%.

- In comparison to Mclemore... Now the rumours of Suns not liking the lack of assertiveness of Mclemore was indeed true.
What good is a talented player who isn't hungry to overcome his opponent?
I think he will probably be OJ Mayo-esque, that he only achieves 80% of his potential because he doesn't have the passion.

I think Oladipo and Len was the top 2 players on the suns list... With Oladipo out, Len became number one... Which they knew since last week because they tried to trade for pick 1 to get Oladipo.
Or was it Len all this time?

Len could be the "Kevin Love" pick... Basically 5th pick that becomes better than the 4 players ahead of him.

Archie Goodwin was a great pick.
The guy is 18 years old, had he stayed next season he could of developed his weaknesses but the Kentucky program was all about 1 and done.

Suns have a potential star in their hands...
The guy can play, gifted and did i mention he is only 18?? Turning 19 in a month...

Had he stayed an became a better shooter an more mature... Which is very likely... He could of been a 18ppg 5rpg 5apg PG/SG... That's Dwayne Wade, Westbrook etc like production.... In college anyways.. As sophomores.

But he is a sun now...

I'd develop him ASAP, improve shooting and confidence.

I've always liked him and wished him as a first pick for the Suns earlier, then wished him to be the laker pick (14) then always had him at bare minimum pick 30.... As his stock dropped...

His faults can be fixed and are actually usually fixable by age and development.

Again, had he stayed 1-2 more years in college he would be much better than Oladipo and Mclemore... And would be Wade-like in college.... He's Too aggressive and athletic getting to the rim not to be an impact player.

Hornacek is a good coach for him... Shooting mechanics, timing, etc a pretty good teacher.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Seems like a strategy move to make sure we are covered at c with a serviceable big when gortat is traded. The key for the suns is next years draft. If they can get Len and dragic playing well together and still only win 30 games it will be a success.

TJ

Reaction score
Spot up shooter...lmao! That's when you know a poster doesn't have any idea of what he's talking about.

This is coming from someone who gets ripped to shreds on here for not knowing what the hell he's talking about all the time.

Last edited:

TJ

Reaction score

3 - Goodwin is actually the complete opposite of a spot-up shooter. It's his major weakness right now. Ton of potential but definitely a project. Love the pick though. Could end up being a huge steal in a few years.

It's actually a very strong comparison because both are limited in their skillset despite being drafted relatively high. Lopez had no business being anywhere near the first round let alone being picked ahead of Roy Hibbert. Len may move well, but is soft as tissue.

As for Goodwin, he was one of the top high school prospects the previous year, and one of the reasons he struggled was because he was forced to run point, which is not his position. He needs to refine his outside game, but despite his 27% 3p, he shot 44% all together. With Goodwin, he's 18 so there's room for growth as his expectations will be relatively low this season. As long as he isn't asked to run point again, he'll be fine.