End of Half Free Kick...

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
How embarrassing after all the build up he didn't even get the ball airborne. You don't have to look hard to see why Whiz doesn't have alot of faith in Rackers he screws up often. Whether its us punting instead of trying some longer FG's or Rackers not kicking it deep on the kickoffs Whiz does not have faith in this guy! Neither do I really I always hope our games don't come down to a FG, I feel he would choke.

Dude, it's a longshot kick that you have to hit perfectly. You also have to put everything you have behind it, meaning you're not concentrating on form. In other words, unless you capture the perfect storm (power and form), you're going to miss, and likely miss badly. It was a longshot of a kick. If it goes in? Great, we get three points. If not? No harm, no foul.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, it's a longshot kick that you have to hit perfectly. You also have to put everything you have behind it, meaning you're not concentrating on form. In other words, unless you capture the perfect storm (power and form), you're going to miss, and likely miss badly. It was a longshot of a kick. If it goes in? Great, we get three points. If not? No harm, no foul.

Unless they run the kick back for a touchdown.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of that play. I wonder if you could drop the ball on the ground, and then run the ball instead. Might be some sort of illegal formation, but if you drop the ball on the ground, then start running with the ball and do a whole bunch of laterals. That could be interesting too. Almost Rugby style.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How embarrassing after all the build up he didn't even get the ball airborne. You don't have to look hard to see why Whiz doesn't have alot of faith in Rackers he screws up often. Whether its us punting instead of trying some longer FG's or Rackers not kicking it deep on the kickoffs Whiz does not have faith in this guy! Neither do I really I always hope our games don't come down to a FG, I feel he would choke.
If you can't consistently get kickoffs into the end zone, you are not hitting a 68 yard free kick.

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
I think once you opt to kick, it changes possesion... regardless of the outcome... otherwise if you kicked out a field goal wide right on 3rd down or fumble the attempt you would get a second attempt on 4th...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think once you opt to kick, it changes possesion... regardless of the outcome... otherwise if you kicked out a field goal wide right on 3rd down or fumble the attempt you would get a second attempt on 4th...

That's why I mentioned dropping the ball, therefore causing a fumble. A fumble on a FG isn't an incomplete pass ending the down, you can run the ball if you so desired getting a first down. Just like a fake. The rulebook appears to be, that the same rules are in place as regular FG's.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
That's why I mentioned dropping the ball, therefore causing a fumble. A fumble on a FG isn't an incomplete pass ending the down, you can run the ball if you so desired getting a first down. Just like a fake. The rulebook appears to be, that the same rules are in place as regular FG's.
The difference is that on a normal field goal, the kick attempt is from 7-8 yards behind the line of scrimmage. One the ball passes the line of scrimmage, it automatically belongs to the other team (unless the ball is touched by the other team beyond the line). In the case of the free kick, the ball is kicked right from the line of scrimmage, so it would have to be kicked backwards in order to be a live ball. Kicking it backwards would be hard to do without being ahead of the ball, which would be offsides.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The difference is that on a normal field goal, the kick attempt is from 7-8 yards behind the line of scrimmage. One the ball passes the line of scrimmage, it automatically belongs to the other team (unless the ball is touched by the other team beyond the line). In the case of the free kick, the ball is kicked right from the line of scrimmage, so it would have to be kicked backwards in order to be a live ball. Kicking it backwards would be hard to do without being ahead of the ball, which would be offsides.

But a free kick doesn't HAVE to be kicked at the line of scrimmage. You would just want to do that so that you have a shorter FG.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I never said he should make it but for christ sake get it airborne at least, you are a professional kicker after all.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm half tempted to write to the director of officiating to get some more clarification about my scenerio.

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
Rules and variations
Fair catch kicks can only occur when a member of the receiving team signals for, and successfully makes, a fair catch (or is awarded a fair catch after a kick-catch interference penalty.) That team then has the option of restarting play either by snap or fair catch kick. If the team elects the fair catch kick option, the kicking team lines up at the spot where the fair catch was made, and the opposing team must line up at least ten yards downfield. The kicker then may either place kick the ball from a teammate's hold (a kickoff tee may be used in high school) or drop kick the ball. Three points are awarded for kicking the ball through the uprights.
The fair catch kick has unique rules which distinguish it from other free kicks, such as kickoffs. Most significantly, it is the only variant in which the kicking team can score a field goal. Also, onside kicks are not permitted; the ball cannot be recovered by the kicking team unless first touched by the receiving team. In high school football, if the kicking team can recover or catch the ball beyond the receiving team's free-kick line before the ball becomes dead, they take possession of the ball. The clock starts when the ball is kicked. If the kick is unsuccessful, the rules are similar to that of a normal missed field goal: the opposing team has the option of fielding the ball and attempting a runback, or of taking possession at the spot of the kick.[1] A successful fair catch kick is followed by a normal kick off.
Fair catch kicks are permitted in the National Football League and at the high school level. Under National Federation of State High School Associations rules, a fair catch kick can be attempted under more circumstances: the option remains available if a dead ball foul occurs before the next play, or if a live ball foul occurs which leads to a replay of the down.[citation needed] Fair catch kicks are not permitted at the collegiate level under NCAA rules.[2]
The last successful fair catch kick in the NFL was by Mac Percival in 1968, scoring the game-winning field goal for the Chicago Bears against the Green Bay Packers. Since then, eleven fair-catch kicks have been attempted. Most recently, the Arizona Cardinals attempted an unsuccessful fair catch kick against the New York Giants on November 23, 2008. [3]

Circumstances of use

A fair catch kick is very rarely attempted, as only a specific combination of circumstances makes it advantageous for the receiving side. The punt or free kick must be fair-caught at a point close enough to make a field goal attempt plausible. There will usually be insufficient time to run more than one play from scrimmage, so is only likely to be seen when the punt would otherwise be the last or next-to-last play of the half. If occurring in the second half, the receiving team would presumably be tied or trailing by three points or fewer so that a successful field goal is significant. Finally, when these rare circumstances are present, a well-coached kicking team should recognize that it is not in their best interests to allow their opponents to make a successful fair catch. They may thus employ any of several tactics to avoid that outcome, such as deliberately kicking the ball out of bounds or far away from any opponent, or running a non-punting play from scrimmage that allows the game clock to expire safely.
In the NFL, a fair catch kick may still be attempted if the half ends on the fair catch play. This is not automatic; a team's captain or coach must exercise this option.
There are several reasons to prefer a fair catch kick to a normal field goal attempt from scrimmage. A fair catch kick is taken from the same yard-line of the catch rather than the usual seven to eight yards back. The defending team must remain 10 yards downfield before the kick. This allows the placekicker a full running start rather than the normal two-step approach, with no concerns about a poor snap from center or a low angle of trajectory that might allow the defense to block the kick.

Hard one to track down, this is all I could find...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the kick is unsuccessful, the rules are similar to that of a normal missed field goal:

If that is the case, then why did they get a chance to return it? With a missed field goal, you have to catch the ball. It cannot hit the ground as it did during the game.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If that is the case, then why did they get a chance to return it? With a missed field goal, you have to catch the ball. It cannot hit the ground as it did during the game.
I don't think that you are correct. If a field goal attempt lands (bounces) at the goal line the defense can pick it up and run with it.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
I thought it was a cool idea; disappointed by the execution, but can't fault Neil too much for that. It was very unusual.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remembered the rule. They were talking about it the week before as well. Donald brought it up before they called it as well. :thumbup: to him.

Yeah, I was severely disappointed that he ended up squibbing it. I was excited about the entire play...shame he flubbed the kick. He has the leg to pull it off. That would have been a highlight play. It's not often that I'm stoked about a kick.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that you are correct. If a field goal attempt lands (bounces) at the goal line the defense can pick it up and run with it.

Nope. Pretty sure that I am right. It has to be caught. Once it hits the ground, it is a dead ball.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Last edited:

DieHardCardFan

Dallas 2011
Reaction score
Kornheiser - "Favre could have made that kick".

Hahahaha!!! That is exactly what I was thinking ! "Farve would have made that, Farve probably would have taken the snap thrown the ball in the air, to Farve as high as he could and Farve would catch it himself in the endzone, TD Farve. This is why the Jets management is the smartest in the NFL, Farve. They saw what everyone else already knew, Farve, and that was that Farve is the best player, Farve, to ever play the game, Farve, and we will probably never see another player, Farve, quiet as good as Farve"

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Kinda helps if your holder does his job.
I think there's some kind of weird psychological disadvantage of being able to frame the hold and kick it without the usual quick snap and hold they are used to. You see kickers in pre-game warmup making field goals up to 70 yards with a snapper and holder, and taking the normal two-step stance.

Perhaps all the time and the running start threw off his kicking rhythm.

DieHardCardFan

Dallas 2011
Reaction score
I think there's some kind of weird psychological disadvantage of being able to frame the hold and kick it without the usual quick snap and hold they are used to. You see kickers in pre-game warmup making field goals up to 70 yards with a snapper and holder, and taking the normal two-step stance.

Perhaps all the time and the running start threw off his kicking rhythm.

I would think you are right. They reset the hold about 5 times from what I saw so there was obviously a little bit of confusion between them as to what exactly was wanted.