End of Half Free Kick...

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
What was that about? What are the rules regarding that? BTW, he missed it pretty bad.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
From Urban's blog:

In case anyone is wondering, a team can try a field goal after a fair catch without a pass rush. That's why the Cards did what they did. You immediately give up possession, so it's a worthless rule unless it's at the end of a half. Neil Rackers tried to get a big leg under it and it squibbed. It would have been 68 yards, and it's a tough way to have a streak of 15 straight made field goals end.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
What was that about? What are the rules regarding that? BTW, he missed it pretty bad.

Its called a "fair-catch kick." Basically, if you call for a fair catch on the previous play, you can attempt it.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
If a player signals for and gets a free catch, the team if they so chooses can attempt a free kick (its like a kick off because the opposing team can't attempt to block it but if it goes through the uprights its a FG). Its a subsection of one of the rules and often gets forgotten.

He probably should attempted it off the tee instead of trying to have Johnson try and hold it

Spielman

Non-Troll Rams Fan
Reaction score

After a fair catch, a team has the right to try a free kick from the spot if they so choose. Pretty much the only time they would want to try it would be the end of a half... otherwise they'd want posession.

It almost came up in 2006 at the end of the Cards Rams game that Bulger and Warner both tried to fumble away, but didn't happen because the Cards were penalized on the play.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
It is usually used in such cases where you don't have time to advance the ball and just can hope it goes thru at the end of haf or game. It is kind of like a hail merry.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

In the event of a fair catch after a kick, the receiving team can elect to have a free kick for a field goal. The opposing team may be 10 yards away from the point of the kick (line of scrimmage).

Rules for:

Fair Kick

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
With that field position, I would have rather seen a hail mary, a la 49ers last season. We would have had a better chance of punching it in the end zone that way than hitting a 68 yard fair-catch kick

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you can in this case. At least they talked about it on the telecast...Johnston even said he was surprised Rackers wasn't using a tee.

NFL RULES: Fair Catch Kick

FAIR CATCH KICK

1. After a fair catch, the receiving team has the option to put the ball in play by a snap or a fair catch kick (field goal attempt), with fair catch kick lines established ten yards apart. All general rules apply as for a field goal attempt from scrimmage. The clock starts when the ball is kicked. (No tee permitted.)

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The announcers were wrong. No tee allowed. Rackers didn't just kick off the ground by choice.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
No tee is allowed but I wonder if the holder can hold it on his toe like we used to do when we were kids and we didn't have a tee. One guy would hold the bottom of the ball on his toe and the top with his finger.

Now that would have made it even more interesting.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
No tee is allowed but I wonder if the holder can hold it on his toe like we used to do when we were kids and we didn't have a tee. One guy would hold the bottom of the ball on his toe and the top with his finger.

Now that would have made it even more interesting.

I don't think so - the point of the kick for points is that the ball has to touch the ground - hence the kick from last year (I believe that it was Flutie) where the kicker let it bouce on the ground before kicking it through for an old school PAT / FG.

The tee prevents the ball from touching the ground, which is why it doesn't count for point, IIRC.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
One thing we can all agree on, is that Donovan McNabb had no idea you could attempt this. :p

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think so - the point of the kick for points is that the ball has to touch the ground - hence the kick from last year (I believe that it was Flutie) where the kicker let it bouce on the ground before kicking it through for an old school PAT / FG.

The tee prevents the ball from touching the ground, which is why it doesn't count for point, IIRC.

Imagine if we have Seattle's punter (one that has distance). The defense has to be 10 yards away. They do a drop kick and then a traditional punt. If the ball sails through the uprights, its a FG too. We all know Dirk couldn't make it 64 yards, but maybe a good punter can.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought it was an interesting move. At that point in the game it would have given us a shot at 3 points... Get the ball back and go for seven (eight) more. If you're going to do it, that was the time.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
One thing we can all agree on, is that Donovan McNabb had no idea you could attempt this. :p

Funny...

I didn't either.

Kudos to Whis for knowing the rule and trying it...I expect to see more of those in the near future from other teams.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny...

I didn't either.

Kudos to Whis for knowing the rule and trying it...I expect to see more of those in the near future from other teams.

I remembered the rule. They were talking about it the week before as well. Donald brought it up before they called it as well. :thumbup: to him.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How embarrassing after all the build up he didn't even get the ball airborne. You don't have to look hard to see why Whiz doesn't have alot of faith in Rackers he screws up often. Whether its us punting instead of trying some longer FG's or Rackers not kicking it deep on the kickoffs Whiz does not have faith in this guy! Neither do I really I always hope our games don't come down to a FG, I feel he would choke.

fball13

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a picture of the kick... I think its more clear now why Rackers missed it... another bad hold.

You must be registered for see images attach

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
How embarrassing after all the build up he didn't even get the ball airborne. You don't have to look hard to see why Whiz doesn't have alot of faith in Rackers he screws up often. Whether its us punting instead of trying some longer FG's or Rackers not kicking it deep on the kickoffs Whiz does not have faith in this guy! Neither do I really I always hope our games don't come down to a FG, I feel he would choke.

I dunno -- 67 yards is a long way and I doubt he has practiced it

Its kinda like standing on the tee box and saying -- I have to hit this 300 yards and then snap hooking it for 125

I can relate