Draft Options by Round

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Here’s my idea about a few guys that might fit the Cards’ roster & be useful. I expect disputes. In general I think arguments about which round a player should go are always subjective. In every draft players go at unexpected points. This draft will be no different. It’s also silly to argue, though I’ve done it, if someone will be gone. That’s why I listed options. Maybe they’re all gone but that’s unlikely but I’d consider moving up to get one. I have posted I fully expect the Cards to take a QB in round 1. Just in case I’ve listed other options.

Round 1
Jackson QB Lou
McGlinchey OT ND
Hernandez G UTEP
Rudolph QB OKST

Round 2
Miller OT UCLA
Washington WR OKST
Rankin OT MSSU
Alexander CB LOU

Round 3
Miller WR MPH
Crosby G OR
Gesicki TE PSU
Holmes DE OSU
Smith WR USF
Wims WR GA
Smith G AU
Sheppard DT FtHY

Round 4
Tate WR FSU
Flowers FB OK

Round 5
Warner LB BYU
Carter RB Gram
Cappa Hum

Round 7
Nichols DE
Senat DT USF
Watson WR PENN
Izzo TE FSU
Cole OL MI

UDFA

Coutee WR TT
Pringle WR KS
Parker OT NCAT

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No LBs in the first 3 rounds? Or do you think no LBs available for us?

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I like all your first rounders except Jackson. I would trade down in the twenties to take him. In the second round I would take WR James Washington. He is my favorite out the guys you have listed. I would also consider C Billy Price as well. Third round I like Dante Pettis or Simmie Cobbs. I just think we will have to draft at least two wide receivers in the first four rounds because losing both Brown's in free agency has left the WR cupboard bare.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think they try to rework Buc. I’m assuming they’re playing a 4-3. They’re set inside. There are some good LBs early. After round 2 outside is tough. Better to look at FAs. I’m curious to see what they can make out of Reddick. I still think he could be big time.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Jackson, Alexander and Miller would be an awesome first three pick for me!

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I think Cole goes way before round 7.. guy brings a ton of versatility on the line.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
interesting list.I really hope Cards draft a real old-fashioned snotknocker tough guy run-blocking TE who can make the tough catch over the middle (Ryan Izzo or Durham Smythe).I think a TE like that would be available Rd 4-7

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they try to rework Buc. I’m assuming they’re playing a 4-3. They’re set inside. There are some good LBs early. After round 2 outside is tough. Better to look at FAs. I’m curious to see what they can make out of Reddick. I still think he could be big time.
Considering deficiencies elsewhere, I am comfortable at LB as well.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

I still think Reddick will be top notch as well.

as much as many will say it doesnt make sense... I also wouldnt be surprised if we select a RB fairly early.... perhaps a guy like Sony Michel if he is there in the third or Penny in the fourth... DJ broke his wrist, no telling how that is going to heal and it goes towards ball control...we need a back to relieve him as well as "just in case".... due to his talents, if he has fumbling issues we can move him to WR via set or motion and use another RB for carries.

I like Penny for the Cards... they grabbed Badger due to his PP21 connection, and having brothers on the team can make them both better due to sibling rivalry... plus, the younger Penny is nearly a DJ clone although slower and not as elusive.... but if we are looking for a ball control offense we need more than one back who can smash out a few yards.

I would love to get Sony Michel but he will likely go middle second at latest, perhaps as high as mid first and there are too many good players that will fill holes at those draft positions.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Buc doesn't have a position at LB in a 4-3. No way can he be the lone ILBer, and he's no OLBer.

Reaction score
I still think Reddick will be top notch as well.

as much as many will say it doesnt make sense... I also wouldnt be surprised if we select a RB fairly early.... perhaps a guy like Sony Michel if he is there in the third or Penny in the fourth... DJ broke his wrist, no telling how that is going to heal and it goes towards ball control...we need a back to relieve him as well as "just in case".... due to his talents, if he has fumbling issues we can move him to WR via set or motion and use another RB for carries.

I like Penny for the Cards... they grabbed Badger due to his PP21 connection, and having brothers on the team can make them both better due to sibling rivalry... plus, the younger Penny is nearly a DJ clone although slower and not as elusive.... but if we are looking for a ball control offense we need more than one back who can smash out a few yards.

I would love to get Sony Michel but he will likely go middle second at latest, perhaps as high as mid first and there are too many good players that will fill holes at those draft positions.

I like Penny as well. He may be gone by our first 3rd round pick though.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I like Penny as well. He may be gone by our first 3rd round pick though.
tough call on him. before the combine he was a fifth round pick. But he had a good combine... kinda hoping, if QB's go on a run like folks are expecting it may shake up the first round quite a bit and as that chaos trickles down teams may forget about Penny..... but Ballage wouldnt be a horrible choice either...might actually be a better choice if we are just looking for a guy to give DJ a breather

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
interesting list.I really hope Cards draft a real old-fashioned snotknocker tough guy run-blocking TE who can make the tough catch over the middle (Ryan Izzo or Durham Smythe).I think a TE like that would be available Rd 4-7

Harry shows Gesicki being available in the third round. That will never happen, Gesicki will be long gone before the middle of the second round. I still think the Saints take him at #27.

Stout

Reaction score
Harry shows Gesicki being available in the third round. That will never happen, Gesicki will be long gone before the middle of the second round. I still think the Saints take him at #27.

You think so? I'm not sure. I love him as a college TE, but how well does he translate? I don't think he can block at the pro level, as well as he needs.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
In round 1, I believe you have to consider Harold Landry, DE out of Boston College and Marcus Davenport, DE out of UTSA. Both are really nice athletes, and play the DE position. Davenport is more of a projection guy, but Landry looks like a ready made guy for day one, and then protects you when Golden leaves.

You could make an argument for QB, Pass Rushers, and OLinemen in all of the first three rounds.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No LBs in the first 3 rounds? Or do you think no LBs available for us?

Why would LB be a priority? We have our starters there.

We basically have one WR, one TE, one CB, and a very questionable RT. Those are the positions we need early.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
You think so? I'm not sure. I love him as a college TE, but how well does he translate? I don't think he can block at the pro level, as well as he needs.

I thought he blocked well enough and can learn to be a better blocker in the NFL. I think it's mostly technique for him. A team like the Saints with Brees who would utilize his pass catching talents seems like a very logical fit. He's certainly a good red zone target and I think he would cause quite a bit of mismatch problems with LBs covering him.

Stout

Reaction score
I thought he blocked well enough and can learn to be a better blocker in the NFL. I think it's mostly technique for him. A team like the Saints with Brees who would utilize his pass catching talents seems like a very logical fit. He's certainly a good red zone target and I think he would cause quite a bit of mismatch problems with LBs covering him.

No doubt he'd be a mismatch problem. It wasn't just technique with him, though. He's extremely thin for the position, though I don't know what he weighs. If he adds a lot of muscle mass, will that slow him down? I mean, I won't kid you; I'd love to have him on our team, not just because I'm a Penn State homer. I wouldn't draft him high, that's all.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard