Deandre Ayton discussion

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Quibbling over Paul’s 2022-23 money if he chooses to opt-out and falling back to a 45-37 type team when he walks in 2021-22 is unconscionable.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Because he's immortal?

Because he has shown zero decline from last year, has a high skill game, sat out one game all year (not even injured), has had one bizarre upper body injury which has not even caused him to miss a game, is a massive favorite to provide value as a top25 player in the next two years, and has completely changed our culture from ten year doormat to legitimate title contender.

Nobody is saying he can play for 5 years, nobody is saying he’s “immortal”. You and many others did say we made a massive mistake acquiring him for Oubre and Rubio in the off-season. One would hope that would chasten you. Alas, not.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he leaves, we fall back into mediocrity. An extension would be 3 years at the most. If we extend him for 3 years and he breaks down for good after a year or two, what have we really lost?
Naw. Depends on who replaces him. The change in the team this year is not ALL Paul.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You and many others did say we made a massive mistake acquiring him for Oubre and Rubio in the off-season. One would hope that would chasten you. Alas, not.

The jury is still out on the trade. The Suns have won a grand total of two playoff games so far. Let's see what happens to that total before we decide whether the trade was worth it.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The jury is still out on the trade. The Suns have won a grand total of two playoff games so far. Let's see what happens to that total before we decide whether the trade was worth it.

The jury is still out on the trade? We gave up relatively little to acquire Paul. I think most would characterize the trade as wildly successful. Can you expand on your perspective?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We traded a middling PG, a wing and who’s teams consistently get better when he’s not playing and a late first rounder for an MVP candidate, likely All-NBA player who gave the team instant credibility, bringing us out from the shame of Sarver and into one of the sunniest stories of the NBA season with the second best record in the league.

that’s success no matter what happens from here. Saying otherwise is just a flat refusal to admit you were wrong.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
We traded a middling PG, a wing and who’s teams consistently get better when he’s not playing and a late first rounder for an MVP candidate, likely All-NBA player who gave the team instant credibility, bringing us out from the shame of Sarver and into one of the sunniest stories of the NBA season with the second best record in the league.

that’s success no matter what happens from here. Saying otherwise is just a flat refusal to admit you were wrong.

No, I'm fully prepared to admit I was wrong in the fall of 2022, once we get the full story. I never doubted that Paul would make the Suns better in the short term, if he could stay healthy. As far as the regular season is concerned, he surpassed my expectations, but that really doesn't impact the equation.

If the Suns lose this series in 6, they take a step backward next year, Paul is no longer on the roster for the 2022-23 season, and Booker has decided he's ready to move on to a real contender, is that still a success to you? And if not, what makes you so confident that we'll avoid that scenario?

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe the Suns and Bridges can agree to something less. He is not a max player.
Good eye sight. This is where we have failed in the past. Watch basketball like a fan every so often as even a GM and you'd be surprised how great your decision making can become. I think James Jones has a god feel for this

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No, I'm fully prepared to admit I was wrong in the fall of 2022, once we get the full story. I never doubted that Paul would make the Suns better in the short term, if he could stay healthy. As far as the regular season is concerned, he surpassed my expectations, but that really doesn't impact the equation.

If the Suns lose this series in 6, they take a step backward next year, Paul is no longer on the roster for the 2022-23 season, and Booker has decided he's ready to move on to a real contender, is that still a success to you? And if not, what makes you so confident that we'll avoid that scenario?

Usually young teams get better after gaining playoff experience. Why do you think the team takes a step backward next year?

I think Booker is more likely to stay now that he's tasted some success, even if we get bounced in the first round. We've already exceeded expectations. You don't think Booker would've been more apt to want to leave had we not acquired Paul?

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sorry e but I think you may be the lone survivor in the “jury is still out on the trade” brigade.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

What is this, jury nullification?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Why so long? The main piece we shipped out, Oubre, wasn't even under contract that long.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton had a few mini relapses of regular-season-Ayton last night. Fumbled a few passes and such. Was there another play where he just made a bad turnover, idr, i'm trying to recall the play.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ayton had a few mini relapses of regular-season-Ayton last night. Fumbled a few passes and such. Was there another play where he just made a bad turnover, idr, i'm trying to recall the play.

Lol just stop

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson