Celtics at Suns 2-23-15

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The worst part of this is that the next great big man is going to wind up in New York or LA.
Surprise! <sarcasm

Suns should offer everything they've got to move into that top spot.All of those picks we just acquired, Bledsoe, Len, whomever...whatever it takes.
Go and get a great young bigman for once.

We went and got a great young big man, we just need to stay with him while he develops. He's 21 and he's probably 3 or 4 years away but so are we. IMO he should be considered untouchable. I'd love to trade up for Okafor but I wouldn't trade Len for anyone in this class.

If the Lakers get lucky and land the number one pick I'd certainly make a play to trade Bledsoe for the right to draft Okafor. They need a point guard, this is a weak point guard draft. The best player in the draft is a power forward and their best young player is a power forward so it's not out of the realm of possibility. It's a long shot but their desire to win now might even make it feasible. A combination of Okafor and Len would be worth building around.

Steve

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In terms of size + skillset(footwork, scoring, rebounding) + athleticism... Okafor would be considered among the better bigmen in the league right now. Today. He'll come in and make an immediate impact. His footwork is already good and that's what sets him apart from most bigmen who enter the NBA.

No offense to Len, because he's shown improvement and may someday develop into a solid starter, but he can't touch Okafor's skills right now. That's plain to see for anyone. Len is only 21 so he's got that going for him i guess.

I have no problem going out on a limb when i say that Okafor will be the next great bigman at the next level. His skills are very reminiscent of Duncan coming out. At 19 yrs old that's just Scary.

Unfortunately he'll be a NY Knick and not a Phx Sun and that's one big $hitsandwich as far as i'm concerned.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In terms of size + skillset(footwork, scoring, rebounding) + athleticism... Okafor would be considered among the better bigmen in the league right now. Today. He'll come in and make an immediate impact. His footwork is already good and that's what sets him apart from most bigmen who enter the NBA.

No offense to Len, because he's shown improvement and may someday develop into a solid starter, but he can't touch Okafor's skills right now. That's plain to see for anyone. Len is only 21 so he's got that going for him i guess.

I have no problem going out on a limb when i say that Okafor will be the next great bigman at the next level. His skills are very reminiscent of Duncan coming out. At 19 yrs old that's just Scary.

Unfortunately he'll be a NY Knick and not a Phx Sun and that's one big $hitsandwich as far as i'm concerned.

I'm in love with Okafor's game, I think it's ideal for the NBA. And I agree with the Duncan comparison although I don't think he'll ever be quite as good as Tim. But I think there's a very good chance in 5 years that Okafor will be the starting power forward in the All Star game playing next to Alex Len as the starting center. Okafor is much further along than Len on the offensive end but Len is already far more impactful defensively. I want both players but just for once, I want to see us with the big defender in the middle that every one else has to worry about.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Exactly. We aren't going to get one in Phoenix either, so our only other option is either trading for one or building through the draft. Our front office fell in love with our success last year and stopped short of the rebuild.

I just wish that if we're gonna suck and lose to teams like the Celtics, do it with Len, Goodwin, Warren, Knight, Bledsoe and Bullock getting the bulk of the minutes.

I'm fine with losing as long as its losing with a purpose. For us, developing the youngsters would be that purpose.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
we lost because we let the Celtics shoot 30+ freethrows and let them make like 15 3-pointers on 50% shooting.

Our guards turn it over a lot but that was not really the problem.

Also I think our high turnovers are simply the result of poor spacing. We want out guards to attack but when they do and they get stopped other players need to get open and allow an option to pass the ball. We do are horrible job at this.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm in love with Okafor's game, I think it's ideal for the NBA. And I agree with the Duncan comparison although I don't think he'll ever be quite as good as Tim. But I think there's a very good chance in 5 years that Okafor will be the starting power forward in the All Star game playing next to Alex Len as the starting center. Okafor is much further along than Len on the offensive end but Len is already far more impactful defensively. I want both players but just for once, I want to see us with the big defender in the middle that every one else has to worry about.

Steve

Steve, I respect your opinion and I agree that Okafor's size, agility and post-up skills are of an All-Star but his lack of jumpshot and especially his lack of lift and explosiveness would make me worried if I have to pick first in the draft.
Furthermore I'm not even so sure that he is a surefire No.1 pick and even if he is, he is not a surefire franchise player.

Besides I highly doubt that Okafor will be a PF, he is a true C.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Best case Okafor can be Tim Duncan.
Worst case he is probably Al Jefferson.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him turn into DeMarcus Cousins with a better head on his shoulders.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
We went and got a great young big man, we just need to stay with him while he develops. He's 21 and he's probably 3 or 4 years away but so are we. IMO he should be considered untouchable. I'd love to trade up for Okafor but I wouldn't trade Len for anyone in this class.

If the Lakers get lucky and land the number one pick I'd certainly make a play to trade Bledsoe for the right to draft Okafor. They need a point guard, this is a weak point guard draft. The best player in the draft is a power forward and their best young player is a power forward so it's not out of the realm of possibility. It's a long shot but their desire to win now might even make it feasible. A combination of Okafor and Len would be worth building around.

Steve

Dream scenario... But man would I LOVE to see that dream come true!!

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Myles Turner would do for us.

He is long, he hits the 3, he blocks shots and hopefully will be a decent rebounder.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
we lost because we let the Celtics shoot 30+ freethrows and let them make like 15 3-pointers on 50% shooting.

Our guards turn it over a lot but that was not really the problem.

Also I think our high turnovers are simply the result of poor spacing. We want out guards to attack but when they do and they get stopped other players need to get open and allow an option to pass the ball. We do are horrible job at this.

Turnovers are a problem and they don't help you win.

But yes our scheme and player positioning is awful on offense. Even if we're great, we can't depend on Bledsoe to make the right decisions.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve, I respect your opinion and I agree that Okafor's size, agility and post-up skills are of an All-Star but his lack of jumpshot and especially his lack of lift and explosiveness would make me worried if I have to pick first in the draft.
Furthermore I'm not even so sure that he is a surefire No.1 pick and even if he is, he is not a surefire franchise player.

Besides I highly doubt that Okafor will be a PF, he is a true C.

Best case Okafor can be Tim Duncan.
Worst case he is probably Al Jefferson.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him turn into DeMarcus Cousins with a better head on his shoulders.

I think he falls somewhere between Jefferson and Duncan. His unselfishness and passing skills separate him from Jefferson, his work ethic will keep him from ever being Tim Duncan. But I think he'll be in the running for the all star game for a decade plus. He isn't very explosive but some of that is the extra weight he's carrying. I don't know, maybe he'll settle for being Sullinger meets Jefferson instead of a poor man's Duncan but he has the ability and body to be pretty good IMO.

Steve

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns turn the ball over leading to easy scores by opponents and they don't play defense. They can't make a stop on defense so how can they win? I don't know how a bunch of this doesn't come back to coaching.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Actually I thought the Suns' fourth-quarter defense was good last night. They gave up 26 points in the quarter, but a lot of those were in the final panic: get-the-ball-back free throws and Thomas's big three. I'd guess that they gave up only 12-14 points in the first nine minutes of the quarter. Of course the first half was terrible, but their defense down the stretch was what gave them a chance to win. What killed them was Bledsoe's utter inability to run an offense.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually I thought the Suns' fourth-quarter defense was good last night. They gave up 26 points in the quarter, but a lot of those were in the final panic: get-the-ball-back free throws and Thomas's big three. I'd guess that they gave up only 12-14 points in the first nine minutes of the quarter. Of course the first half was terrible, but their defense down the stretch was what gave them a chance to win. What killed them was Bledsoe's utter inability to run an offense.

I think you could just as easily say that what killed us was the lack of effort from Markieff and Tucker in the first half. Tucker had two stupid turnovers early in the second half but afterwards played great. If he'd played like that in the first half this would have been no contest.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think you could just as easily say that what killed us was the lack of effort from Markieff and Tucker in the first half.

Sure, all points count the same (more or less), but Bledsoe's incompetence on the offensive end was glaring, and he's the one making the big bucks, not Tucker or even MkMorris. Bledsoe's defense down the stretch was good (Thomas's blow-by notwithstanding); platoon him end-by-end with even an average NBA PG, and the Suns win easily.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Sure, all points count the same (more or less), but Bledsoe's incompetence on the offensive end was glaring, and he's the one making the big bucks, not Tucker or even MkMorris. Bledsoe's defense down the stretch was good (Thomas's blow-by notwithstanding); platoon him end-by-end with even an average NBA PG, and the Suns win easily.

When you allow 15-30 3pters and 30+ freethrows you never win easily.

Bledsoe had a good game overall.

Suns can't space the floor or move off the ball. This will always result in a lot of turnovers when you want to play "attacking" basketball. Paint is loaded with defenders and in addition to that the Suns are bad at creating passing lanes for the attacker.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Another bad start by this team. They dug themselves a big hole.

Celtics went to the line 14 more times than us.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is frustrating not to have a player that can be competent in all areas. Bledsoe can score and defend but is not a good distributor. Goran was a better distributor (but only mariginally), could score, but did not defend. Nash was a remarkable scorer and distributor but was a terrible defender. Rondo can defend and distribute but is a huge liability as a scorer/shooter. Kidd was just like Rondo. KJ could score and distribute, but played defense only in spurts. As far as I know, KJ was the closest among all the pg's the Suns had to being a complete player. When he decided to play D, he could shut an opposing player down. I just don't think he had the energy to do it all the time.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As far as the game goes. I would love to make the playoffs, but I am not sure squeaking by, for the privilege of being blown out by GS in round 1 is that much of a prize. Yes, its better than not making the playoffs, but not much better.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
When you allow 15-30 3pters and 30+ freethrows you never win easily.

Bledsoe had a good game overall.

Suns can't space the floor or move off the ball. This will always result in a lot of turnovers when you want to play "attacking" basketball. Paint is loaded with defenders and in addition to that the Suns are bad at creating passing lanes for the attacker.

Bledsoe allowed quite a few of those 3-ptrs, and his man getting past him with relative ease accounted for a quite a few of those free throws. So how do these two statements coexist?

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
As far as the game goes. I would love to make the playoffs, but I am not sure squeaking by, for the privilege of being blown out by GS in round 1 is that much of a prize. Yes, its better than not making the playoffs, but not much better.

Do they even have a chance now with lose 5 straight?

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Of course, but I don't think making the playoffs should be the focus. They need to learn to play team defense, integrate the new pieces, and focus on getting everyone on the same page offensively. undoubtably they will have a few more new pieces to integrate this summer too. I'd prefer they use this season as an extended preseason and summer camp. Focus on team play and player rolls. My concern is with so much focus on making the playoffs, it takes away focus on building up their weaknesses.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Bledsoe allowed quite a few of those 3-ptrs, and his man getting past him with relative ease accounted for a quite a few of those free throws. So how do these two statements coexist?

Considering

Smart shoots 36%FG 33%3s
Bradley shoots 43%FG 35%3s
Crowder shoots 43%FG 32%3s
Young 38%FG 25%3s
Turner 41%FG 29%3s
Wallace 37%FG 33%3s

I am pretty sure that the Suns game plan was to "let them shoot" from outside.

They went 10-15 from three to start the game, then finished 4-14. We took away the three with adjustments and then allowed them to play their game and get to the line. That's my impression from the game last night.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Only if someone waives a magic wand. The Suns have no direction. Their defense is bad and their offense is not much better.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course, but I don't think making the playoffs should be the focus. They need to learn to play team defense, integrate the new pieces, and focus on getting everyone on the same page offensively. undoubtably they will have a few more new pieces to integrate this summer too. I'd prefer they use this season as an extended preseason and summer camp. Focus on team play and player rolls. My concern is with so much focus on making the playoffs, it takes away focus on building up their weaknesses.

I doubt that they are really focusing on the playoffs, I think those are just the words they have to speak. They can see the schedule as easily as we can. The playoffs aren't impossible but at no time this season have we played well enough to succeed against our upcoming schedule. And that includes December when we were playing much better than we are now. The only time that we've looked like a good team this season was when the 3 guards were all playing well.

Steve

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard