OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least he is just a one year player.

I agree about this but someday the future needs to arrive for the Suns.

Ariza, Chandler and Anderson will likely be gone next season. The Suns desperately need more talent.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I recently read "You are the villian in someone's story". Which is a great perspective because we all think we are the hero in ours.

So Eric, I was really sincere in saying that you do nothing that will get you banned. We will frequently diagree but you are a great poster who brings in a lot to this board.

Thanks, Chris, I appreciate that. I was mainly joking but there was probably also some anger behind it. These times make everyone jumpy and I agree that it's difficult to remember to look for good intentions when they are there.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Talking about no defense from the Suns.

I thought that I had read on here earlier before the season started that many (a lot?) of the Suns new players were somewhat defensive minded. So, I was expecting a lot better defense than what I have seen. Apparently, I am not remembering too well.

And what has happened to our play/coaching since the first game? These last three games have been such a let down.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree about this but someday the future needs to arrive for the Suns.

Ariza, Chandler and Anderson will likely be gone next season. The Suns desperately need more talent.

It was hard to fix everything this year. The suna made a lot of moves at least. Having Ayton and Booker should get us more looks in the free agency market at least. Next off season should be pretty interesting.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It was hard to fix everything this year. The suna made a lot of moves at least. Having Ayton and Booker should get us more looks in the free agency market at least. Next off season should be pretty interesting.

They didn't get us looks this past summer, or if they did, McD was beyond stupid to target Ariza over others giving us those looks...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Let's hope next season looks brighter. I could have been happier if the Suns addressed the point guard position as they did the center position.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
He just isn’t putting forth much effort on that end

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Just can’t have that type of defense at the professional level and expect to win or even be in close games.

So, the criticism of Ayton in valid there, but Booker was playing with either 3 fouls in the 2nd quarter or 4 in the 3rd. I remember that play because I was screaming "don't foul."

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I thought that I had read on here earlier before the season started that many (a lot?) of the Suns new players were somewhat defensive minded. So, I was expecting a lot better defense than what I have seen. Apparently, I am not remembering too well.

And what has happened to our play/coaching since the first game? These last three games have been such a let down.

Well, Ariza and Bridges were added, and they are good defenders. Problem is that we have three bad defenders in the starting lineup. Booker and Anderson are awful, and Ayton is bad too, but at least he is a rookie, so there is hope he'll figure it out.
I am guessing that Canaan, Booker, Bridges, Ariza (or Jackson)/Ayton lineup would be a bit better defensively.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

The inability of ariza and JJ to hit threes causes the offense to collapse (I’d include Anderson, but it’s not like he was draining them in game 1 either).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So, the criticism of Ayton in valid there, but Booker was playing with either 3 fouls in the 2nd quarter or 4 in the 3rd. I remember that play because I was screaming "don't foul."
I actually think booker played that well. He’s not going to stop lebron unless he fouls him. Slightly slowing him should’ve allowed someone else (not just Ayton, but Ayton is the one that stuck out to me in the video) to come over and help. They might not have stopped lebron but they likely don’t give up the rebound follow layup.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well, Ariza and Bridges were added, and they are good defenders. Problem is that we have three bad defenders in the starting lineup. Booker and Anderson are awful, and Ayton is bad too, but at least he is a rookie, so there is hope he'll figure it out.
I am guessing that Canaan, Booker, Bridges, Ariza (or Jackson)/Ayton lineup would be a bit better defensively.
The best defensive lineup is likely:

Melton
Booker
Bridges/JJ/Ariza
Ariza/JJ/Bridges
Ayton

If Melton can get some run and show even the slightest hint of offensive ability it would be a boon to the team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton has the largest Ortg to Drtg among all the rookies in this class and its not close. And that is with a team that was blown out in three of four games. I think his defense is better than we realize, we just see how it could be better.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton has the largest Ortg to Drtg among all the rookies in this class and its not close. And that is with a team that was blown out in three of four games. I think his defense is better than we realize, we just see how it could be better.

Yeah, I think he's played much better on D than it would seem from the posts here. He's made a lot of errors, the whole team has but positionally he's been fairly sound. He isn't as much of a rim protector as we'd like but that's not all there is to defense.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Let's hope next season looks brighter. I could have been happier if the Suns addressed the point guard position as they did the center position.

I think next off season will have better pg options.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
They didn't get us looks this past summer, or if they did, McD was beyond stupid to target Ariza over others giving us those looks...
Depends on how this season plays out. If Booker is an all star and Ayton looks like another star player this season than I could see us drawing a good free agent. Neither of those things were realities this past summer. Expecting Ayton to be an attraction to free agents before he ever stepped on an NBA court is far fetched.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ariza might be the biggest disappointment so far.

At this rate I don't see the Suns being able to package him at the deadline as a rental to a contender like I had hoped would be possible. That would have given us a half of season with him, maybe a little more, and allowed us to move our youngsters higher in the rotation to get more minutes but Ariza has been awful outside of the preseason. Not a fan of the signing and he's not providing any silver lining. He's barely better than Dudley was for us last year.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think next off season will have better pg options.

I agree with this. I guess I had higher hopes for the Suns showing more this season. It's hard to understand how the point guard position was ignored until the 2nd round.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I don't follow. The Ortg to Drtg is largest when the Drtg is lowest so how does that show Ayton is doing better than we think on D? I haven't seen the stat so maybe the formula is
Drtg divided by Ortg, contrary to what you are saying. Mathematically, the ratio of A to B means A divided by B. If one leaves the word 'ratio' out it doesn't change the meaning to the exact opposite - it could mean A minus B but then the same is true - A-B is largest when B is smallest. To tell the truth I don't know a good reason to look at either ratio or difference when you're interested in Ayton's rank on Drtg among his fellow rookies.

Okay, I'm nitpicking but dammit, I'm a math teacher and math literacy is important.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't follow. The Ortg to Drtg is largest when the Drtg is lowest so how does that show Ayton is doing better than we think on D? I haven't seen the stat so maybe the formula is
Drtg divided by Ortg, contrary to what you are saying. Mathematically, the ratio of A to B means A divided by B. If one leaves the word 'ratio' out it doesn't change the meaning to the exact opposite - it could mean A minus B but then the same is true - A-B is largest when B is smallest. To tell the truth I don't know a good reason to look at either ratio or difference when you're interested in Ayton's rank on Drtg among his fellow rookies.

Okay, I'm nitpicking but dammit, I'm a math teacher and math literacy is important.
Ortg according to basketball reference is an estimate of points produced per 100 possessions. Higher is better.
Drtg is an estimate of points allowed per 100 possessions. Lower is better.

The bigger the difference, the better.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/aytonde01.html

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Ayton has an Drtg of 114 which isn't good by any means, but the reason why the difference is so big is because his Ortg is 137 which is outstanding. The offense is quite simply way better when he is on the floor because opposing defenses pay so much attention to him and because he is incredibly efficient.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton has an Drtg of 114 which isn't good by any means, but the reason why the difference is so big is because his Ortg is 137 which is outstanding. The offense is quite simply way better when he is on the floor because opposing defenses pay so much attention to him and because he is incredibly efficient.
Thats certainly a fair assessment.

And EK, I understand. My daughter is a high school math teach.

Last edited:

Errntknght

Reaction score
My key mistake was not knowing the definition of Drtg. Thanks guys.

So the story is that Ayton's Drtg is poor but his Ortg is great, thus he's a big plus overall.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
To go a little further with those numbers. Ayton's Ortg is actually 7th in the entire league right now (only including players getting at least 20 minutes/game) and the highest number is 143, just 6 points higher. His Drtg is 86th out of 211 players that qualify and thus is more along the lines of mediocre. It will be interesting to see how the season shapes out because a lot of numbers around the league are much higher at the moment than they usually are.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
We're the worst team in the league (last season) and I too was hoping for a rising Phoenix start to the season, but it looks like we'll be a pip squeak for quite a while longer. Let's hope Jackson and Bridges find their feet in Booker's absence and maybe some positive signs from Okobo. I'm not even mentioning Ariza and Anderson. Shame!

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard