Draft Thoughts

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Remaining Holes
The one that stands out is Edge. With a much improved CB corp, this will not be as big a disaster as last season. I expect the Cards to pick up a veteran rusher, but they will still be thin. Ojulari will benefit tremendously from having a healthy camp. Robinson (likely moves inside on passing downs) & a more experienced Stills will improve the inside rush game. This won’t be a great pass rush, but it won’t be terrible either.

Missed Opportunity
I’m wouldn’t be surprised to see the Cards bring in yet another veteran WR. Still they had every chance to grab a complimentary WR in the draft. Franklin & Rice stood out as likely contributors if used correctly. Harrison will be good immediately, though this should cause the Cards to use Murray a little more in preseason. How quickly they develop rapport is critical. Chris Moore should be more useful than Pascal. Still I wish they had added a little more speedy depth.

Most Misunderstood Selection
I’ve read most other evaluations. The vast majority missed a portion of the value of Reiman. It’s true he’s primarily a blocking TE (with attitude). However, this is where scouting comes in. Illinois’ offense was based on running the ball. Reiman was rarely the target of a pass. However, when he was, he often made the most of the opportunity. He showed good hands and was a load to bring down. Those complaining he was taken too early simply see him as one dimensional. If anyone one else properly scouted him the Cards were wise to grab him when they could. They desperately needed a blocking TE, but I believe this guy will prove to be more. He’s not going to stretch the field, but he will be a significant third down asset.

No Headliners
The Cards had a chance at 35 to grab a headline player at CB. Mckinstry had the cool name and has some talent. I’m just not certain his game translates well into the NFL. He is very handsy and if he can’t break that habit I expect NFL refs to be tough on him. He is not fast and I think he’ll have trouble controlling fly & post routes. They’ll have to give him over the top help. He’s not much of a ballhawk, because he often lacks quality position. Finally, he is not aggressive when tackling runners. I have him with a significant bust factor. I liked Dejean better, but the Cardinal fit is a question. He is okay covering the slot, but figures to be more of a centerfielder type safety. He has excellent leadership skills but he wouldn’t have displaced Baker or Thompson in 2024. Good safeties are easier to find than most positions. Late pick Taylor-Demerson has a chance to develop in that role. Safeties tend to drop in the draft and he was a good value at that point. H

The Importance of Patience & Scouting
If your scouting is better than other teams, you have better options. The Cards confidently traded down from 35. After everything settled, they got a solid CB prospect; Melton. I like him better than Mckinstry. A little more maneuvering courtesy of this trade also resulted in Reiman. If you trust your scouts, you can often win big. I said at the time they were getting 2 starters for one and I believe that’s how everything will shake out.

Weaponization
I like Connor a great deal not just because he’s a solid runner. He also leads by example and inspires others to play hard. What he lacks is breakaway speed. The Cards were reluctant to call his number on third and long. Benson is the perfect compliment to Connor. Benson doesn’t dance. He also breaks arm tackles. The Cards’ line is not great at making big holes. Benson doesn’t need one. He’s decisive and quick to the hole. Once through he’s a handful to take down in the secondary. He’s surprisingly fast for his size. He has true breakaway ability. He’s also an excellent receiver. He was the only college back last season to have both an 80 yard plus rushing TD and an 80 yard plus receiving TD. He adds a valuable weapon to this Cardinal attack. He must be accounted for when rushing a passer. He’s very hard to cover with an LB.

The Cards still have depth issues. Key injuries could ruin their season. I’m not ready to start talking playoffs, but if this team can stay healthy, they will be much improved. Ossemfort plugged an amazing number of holes in one draft. With a little good fortune this figures to be a fun year.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Only part I disagree with is the holes.
Our oline opened interstate hiways for conner last season. My fat ass could have run for 4 yards a pop.
Agree. The run game was one of the big improvements in 2023 and our OL came together as a group. We had a 5 YPC average between Conner and KM runs. Here's the stats for the run game for all teams:

We had the most 20+ yd carries with our OL getting into the second level and knocking down LBers and DBs, in the top 10 in several categories including rushes that went for 1st down. We've added some talent at OL via FA and a new G and our new blocking TE---Benson has some zip at RB. Look for more improvement in the run game. One of the strengths last season and looking to improve in 2024.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Harry, regarding the wrs, what are you thoughts on these that the Cares got: Tejhaun Palmer UAB (6th round) and Xavier Weaver Colorado (UDFA).
Could they be actual sleepers to make the roster?
Perhaps eventually.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Harry, appreciate your insight. I came away with two thoughts about our selections.
1. Like us fans, the team knew we needed lots of help at CB. Hence, three CB's picked. Plus a FA CB.
2. After signing one FA ILB, the team did not address that position in the Draft. And, if you think that they just ran out of picks, ILB was not addressed with a long shot UDFA. Does this mean that the team feels pretty good about our Inside LB's?

CT CARDSFAN

Veteran
Reaction score
Do we think the Cards are going to move Zaven Collins back to his natural position MLB and Kyzer White back to WLB?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Harry, regarding the wrs, what are you thoughts on these that the Cares got: Tejhaun Palmer UAB (6th round) and Xavier Weaver Colorado (UDFA).
At this rate I don't see any reason to think Rice would have been a better pick than Palmer. Nearly identical production last year and Palmer actually comes out slightly ahead. Rice did do that at a better program of course and while it means tougher competition it also mens he had had better teammates and a better QB.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I guess that Boyd is looking for his career payday. I like the way the Cards have a handful of high-priced vets but then a roster of blue-collar salary guys. Bringing in Boyd for a contract/big money might rattle that cage and team chemistry. I'd rather see the Cards reward their own with the big salary---for example, if McBride continues to perform on his rookie contract give him the $$$.

Boyd had some key drops last year that cost the Bengals some crucial games. He has also expressed an interest in the Steelers. He sees himself as WR1 and will want to go to a team that will anoint him. He barely topped 1000 yds in 2018 and 2019 and is now in the 10 Yard per reception range. Decent player but at this point nothing special. I'd rather see X Weaver, our UDFA agent who has signed for some guaranteed money, be given the snaps and opportunity.

What is it about Boyd that makes you want to go after him for the Cards?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Do we think the Cards are going to move Zaven Collins back to his natural position MLB and Kyzer White back to WLB?
Zaven didn't play ILB until the Cardinals drafted him. He was an off the ball OLB in a 3-3-5.

If you ever ask someone who has transitioned from OLB to ILB, they'll tell you that ILB is mentally a much tougher position to play because they have to read multiple a bunch of gaps, while OLB only had to read two.

This is Zaven's make or break year in Arizona. He got his transition year and now doesn't have as many excuses.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I don’t see much here. Palmer isn’t avery good athlete. Weaver is athletic, but easily pushed around. I wouldn’t have drafted either one.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
At this rate I don't see any reason to think Rice would have been a better pick than Palmer. Nearly identical production last year and Palmer actually comes out slightly ahead. Rice did do that at a better program of course and while it means tougher competition it also mens he had had better teammates and a better QB.
Sorry I disagree. Rice is a much better athlete. He a quick start, but he’s one of those guys who builds speed. He’s very competitive. I think he’d make this team. Palmer won’t.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought this was a very good draft for the Cards. We still need some depth but we can fill that in free agency. This draft wasn't meant to solve all of our problems but just the first step in making the team respectable again. I think we are headed in the right direction.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Sorry I disagree. Rice is a much better athlete. He a quick start, but he’s one of those guys who builds speed. He’s very competitive. I think he’d make this team. Palmer won’t.
I mean their pre draft workouts don't agree with the more athletic assessment. Palmer has Rice in 40 time, bench reps and broad jump. Rice has him by about an inch in vertical.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I thought this was a very good draft for the Cards. We still need some depth but we can fill that in free agency. This draft wasn't meant to solve all of our problems but just the first step in making the team respectable again. I think we are headed in the right direction.
I think everyone agrees that the Cardinals had a good draft.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I mean their pre draft workouts don't agree with the more athletic assessment. Palmer has Rice in 40 time, bench reps and broad jump. Rice has him by about an inch in vertical.
If we were having a track meet these numbers would be more persuasive. I’m looking at catch radius, route running and contested catches. I guess we’ll see who has the better career.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don’t see much here. Palmer isn’t avery good athlete. Weaver is athletic, but easily pushed around. I wouldn’t have drafted either one.
Cards must have agreed with you on Weaver. They did not draft him. He was signed as a UDFA. The head-scratcher is giving him $255,000 guaranteed contract. What to make of that?

He is slight of build and stands to be bullied at the line and at the point of catch. Perhaps the Cards are bringing him to be one of the returners (two on the field) with the new kick-off rule???

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort