Cardinals OL

Bobcat

Reaction score
I really think that this year our offensive line has hurt our team mostly due to injuries. Poor Palmer is like a sitting Duck. I hope that we can get our line healthier and and our receivers like Floyd and John Brown get healthier. I also hope that Fitz never leaves the Cardinals and has the opertunity to break every recieving record in the History of the NFL. Also could you imagine David Johnson with a great offside line???

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We need an upgrade. Iupoti and Veldheer are injury issues that will help us next year. Mathis is broken and done. Shipley is too small so hopefully Boehm can develop but otherwise we still need a center and a guard.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really think that this year our offensive line has hurt our team mostly due to injuries. Poor Palmer is like a sitting Duck. I hope that we can get our line healthier and and our receivers like Floyd and John Brown get healthier. I also hope that Fitz never leaves the Cardinals and has the opertunity to break every recieving record in the History of the NFL. Also could you imagine David Johnson with a great offside line???

Larry Fitzgerald is amazing and he only seems to get better with age. He is so much the face and heart of the team. I dread the day he retires.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love Fitz but highly doubt he is going to best Jerrys records, pretty sure he needs another 400 catches or so to catch Rice. Ain't gonna happen, but Fitz is first ballot HOF no doubt and I hope he stays forever!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have to think of our OL as an 8+ man unit, with at least one backup capable of replacing each starter at any point in every game.

We're not there yet.

Sure, we got pretty good production in the win vs. Washington, but I don't think we're solid across the board and down deep. It's up to the coaches to determine which slots are manned by players who are either (1) good enough or (2) will develop into good enough players within an acceptable time -frame or (3) go into the draft or free agency and find ourselves some outside players who will get the job done.

Props to the OL, but you still have a lot left to do.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
if Boehm shows he can play, RG is the only position, starting-wise, that needs filled next year. Good thing is you can usually find those guys readily in free agency.
LT-Humphries
LG-Iupati
C-Boehm
RG-????
RT-Veldheer

That could be a pretty good starting unit. But like Jeff says, they need some quality backups. Hopefully Toner proves capable and Wentz will have a year of playing experience under his belt.

long_season

Veteran
Reaction score
one more loss and we better see Boehm this year. Would be nice to see more of nkemdeche (sp) as well after that loss. need to know what we have going forward.

Reactions: PJ1

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We have to think of our OL as an 8+ man unit, with at least one backup capable of replacing each starter at any point in every game.

We're not there yet.

Sure, we got pretty good production in the win vs. Washington, but I don't think we're solid across the board and down deep. It's up to the coaches to determine which slots are manned by players who are either (1) good enough or (2) will develop into good enough players within an acceptable time -frame or (3) go into the draft or free agency and find ourselves some outside players who will get the job done.

Props to the OL, but you still have a lot left to do.
+1. Say next year's line is Humphries, Iupati, Boehm, Watford, Veldheer. So not sure who the back ups would be but capable ones who actually warrant being in the field playing are needed in case of inevitable injuries. The case could be made that Watford should remain a back up so we may need a G.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
if Boehm shows he can play, RG is the only position, starting-wise, that needs filled next year. Good thing is you can usually find those guys readily in free agency.
LT-Humphries
LG-Iupati
C-Boehm
RG-????
RT-Veldheer

That could be a pretty good starting unit. But like Jeff says, they need some quality backups. Hopefully Toner proves capable and Wentz will have a year of playing experience under his belt.

That's pretty thin, IMO, and I'm tired of this team being thin at OL. I'd like us to get a vet RT, FINALLY address the C position seriously, get a solid RG, and address depth. I mean, it really illustrates the poor position we're in as regards the OL. If we managed it, we'd then have:

Veldheer/Humphries competing at LT, with the loser provided us good cover.
LG-Iupati
C--???
RG-???
RT-???

So, yeah, that's ugly, but with our WR situation, we need to become a run-oriented team, and focusing on the OL is a good way to make that transition.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
+1. Say next year's line is Humphries, Iupati, Boehm, Watford, Veldheer. So not sure who the back ups would be but capable ones who actually warrant being in the field playing are needed in case of inevitable injuries. The case could be made that Watford should remain a back up so we may need a G.

Watford has been benched for Wetzel and is a pending UFA - I would be surprised if we even re-sign him.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i heard bruce afians praising ulrik john, saying he will turn ina good football player cause he has all athleticism to be succesfull

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Rewatched the game in slo-mo, focusing only on the line, from left to right:

Humphries - decent game, a couple of mistakes, gotten between by the swim move a couple of times. Needs a better punch instead of lunging so much - that appears to be his biggest weakness.

Iupati - good game overall, combined with Humphries, they moved the left side a few yards deep on a few run plays

Shipley - probably the worst player this game - didn't make too many mistakes, but physically gets beat the most and has the least to contribute. On a few run plays, everyone but Shipley is pushing past the line of scrimmage. Asked to block downfield a few times and is terrible at it, reminded me of a comment by K9 referring to Cooper getting to the second level and then not blocking...that was Shipley this game

Wetzel - wow, what a mixed bag - has a decent punch and passed off defenders much better this week, not so good at one on one blocking very long, not a natural guard as the shorter, fatter DTs get underneath him/around him too often

John - decent game, needs more strength, but made some good run blocks, did ok with the edge rush by driving them wide, didn't handle the transition to inside moves by the defender so well, better than last week though - looked like an NFL backup at least. Very good second level blocker, athletic and actually blocked someone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard