Clipping the Seahawk’s Wings

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
For most teams an impending Seahawks game would be a routine matchup. For the Cardinals, who couldn’t cover a twin bed with a king-size sheet, this game is a daunting task. The Seahawks have 2 quality receivers. Lockett in particular has proved difficult to contain even when the Cards had a veteran secondary.

The situation is not hopeless. The Seahawks have exhibited 2 major deficiencies, they’ve failed on third downs and in the red zone. However, their quick strike ability still has them in the top 10 in scoring. Most of their third down deficiencies have been tied to Smith, who’s been vulnerable under pressure (40% of throws pressured). This is reflective of the poor performance of their OL, which is still suffering from extensive injuries.

Largely also because of their OL, they have struggled running the ball. This will be a good test to see if the DL has anything left. So far the DL has struggled with the run, being ranked 27th league wide. The Cardinals are additionally one of the worst in the league on third down defense. I put this largely on their inability to defense passes in the flat. Certainly giving excessive cushion to receivers also makes it almost impossible to close quickly enough on third and short.

So how do the Cards defend the Seahawks? Like I’ve recently suggested for other games, the Cards need to pressure Smith early and often. With a weakened OL, the Cards’ DL must step up and control the running game with minimal LB & secondary help. Assuming the Cards haven’t been waiting to release the ferocity of Ojulari, they will need to pull out all the stops on blitzes and stunts. Collins needs to rush the passer more often. They need to overload Gardeck’s side to give him more flexibility. I liked the formation used in an earlier game putting Thomas on the hip of a DE. It’s like the coverage confusion that comes from crossing receivers. Blockers, for example, sometimes both take one rusher. Smith can be rattled and the Cards need to do the rattling.

Designing the cover scheme is more challenging. I’d put Hamilton on Metcalf. There’s a speed issue but Hamilton will be more physical with him. They’ve got to put Clark on Lockett, unless Clark’s confidence is shot. Clark has the athleticism. He’ll need help over the top, which the Cards have been surprisingly reluctant to provide.

On offense I continue to be frustrated by the low number of targets directed at McBride and Wilson. Unless they intend to re-sign Brown, those guys are the future. They need to rollout Dobbs with an option to throw. Typically that will go better with crossing routes or 2-man games with McBride. It would be nice to think Dobbs could actually hit Brown on one of those deep routes. Wouldn’t it be fun to see them bring in Murray for a single play on that deep throw. He couldn’t miss any further than Dobbs. If he hit, imagine the lift the team and the fans would get. Of course they’d have to probably activate 3 QBs to do that. What have they got to lose?

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Tune looking significantly worse than Trace McSorely in the preseason has me hoping we don't see him until we're forced to. I truly don't understand the guys pining for the scrub on the bench the moment the starter shows weakness. Its not like Tune showed flashes of something special, he didn't even look average. DTR and Aiden O Connell looked far better and both turned into complete potatos when forced into a real game.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agree, agree, agree about McBride and Wilson.

And since our CB's are so bad, I'm hoping for a lot of blitzing. At least five man fronts on most plays.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We can’t stop the run when we know it’s coming. Stopping it without the help of the LB’s and secondary will never happen. Not sure Hamilton is even healthy enough to play. Clark and Wilson covering Lockett and Metcalf will be a disaster. Other than this I expect a good game from our D.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
We can’t stop the run when we know it’s coming. Stopping it without the help of the LB’s and secondary will never happen. Not sure Hamilton is even healthy enough to play. Clark and Wilson covering Lockett and Metcalf will be a disaster. Other than this I expect a good game from our D.
Hamilton is out.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So, you think that we may win. Good news.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Question about the roster. Who is considered the better ILB, Woods or Barnes?
IMO it’s Woods who has been a surprise. He’s been especially effective filling gaps. He’s not as strong in pass protection, but he’s been adequate. Both players will likely end up as backups as the roster strengthens in the next 2 years.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
IMO it’s Woods who has been a surprise. He’s been especially effective filling gaps. He’s not as strong in pass protection, but he’s been adequate. Both players will likely end up as backups as the roster strengthens in the next 2 years.
Harry, thanks. JMO, but I think that both have been better than Simmons.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not getting why you think Seattle has struggled running the ball? Walker 4.2 Charbonnet 4.7 combined 450 plus yards in 5 games, 6 rushing TD's. The primary issue the numbers aren't better is Seattle has been in nothing but close games in their wins so they're not in a position they can just run the ball in the 4th quarter and pick up stats. Only the Giants game was like that and they ran the ball really well in that game.

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
Are you serious? Woods has been abysmal. Barnes is nothing to write home about but he was noticeable in the games he played. I see nothing from woods. Honestly they should move Collins back to that spot because he’s definitely not a pass rusher.