Cardinals Need Leadership and Direction

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch-----I feel for you buddy. This is one of your best posts ever, yet you are being vilified mercilessly by those who can't seem to understand that there is something flawed in an organization when it; l. fails to recognize, (and or value, or to properly use), real talent when it has it, and 2. Has never, EVER, understood that the overwhelming majority of successful owners have one more or less common trait, (having wealth, or inheriting a football team, does not make them football smart). Therefore MOST successful teams hire the one necessary ingredient that makes them successful, A FOOTBALL SAVVY G.M. The only time that the Cardinals have done this in recent history, was when they hired Denney Green as H.C. and G.M. While he was very good at being a GM, he was a terrible handler of coaches and players as a HC, and thus did not value the talent that he brought into this organization.

As nice a person and family patriarch as Bill Bidwill is, he will never be a wize football mind. As nice a person as Michael Bidwill is, and as good a businessman and politically savvy mover and shaker that he has become in the state of Arizona, and despite the fact that he is an attorney and a pilot, he is not a great football mind. The biggest failing of this family has been their unwillingness to put the football operations of this franchise into the hands of a true football GM, and stay out of his way when it comes to handling football operations.

Sadly, until they manage to fix this singular organizational flaw, this franchise is almost surely destined to be ALWAYS missing out on what should have been done, (or needs to be done), and will continue to go about its business in a fumbling, bumbling manner.

I get that you get this-----its too bad that the family doesn't get it.

Extract nose from butt and realize that we're not vilifying anyone. We're simply questioning why the majority of his arguments are based on conjecture. How am I supposed to see the light through an argument made that way? I never said he was flat our wrong, and he certainly isn't villianous. He's emotional. And emotions in debate usually lead to you getting your points blown out of the water.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The main point is the last sentence. Bring in a football GM and allow him to run the franchise the right way. Other than being a nice guy, name one redeeming quality as a GM, that Rod Graves brings to the table. It's reported he doesn't look at film, he has no eye for football talent, he doesn't use FA very well, he's rarely re-signs his own player if they hit the open market, he lets other teams set the market. Let's face it, the guy does nothing as a GM.

I tend to agree, but without the absolutes

Rod is a process guy -- and to his credit, he probably brought the process of the Cardinal front office to this decade, whereas before it was rooted in the 1970s.

He is a consensus guy who defers to the dominant personality in the organization. Its why coaches like Denny and Ken get a large say in personnel issues.

My unscientific guess -- in Indy (for example), players decisions are likely 95% Polian / 5% Caldwell. In Green Bay, its 80% Ted Thompson / 20% McCarthy. Here in Arizona -- I would put it as 60% Whisenhunt / 40% Graves.

That spit between HC and FO isnt necessarily bad by itself, but is tough now because this is the first time KW has had such authority. Experience is gained via mistakes. Mistakes guys like Polian and Thompson made, but made years ago and learned from them.

Fortunately, KW strikes me as a rational guy who will learn from mistakes. One hopes.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Or, it makes you realize its all business and its the job of those involved to get the most for the least, and so both sides better have equal representation. Its just business. This entire post so so full of supposition and conjecture, and assumption. Its pretty laughable, actually.

Laughable to you maybe but interesting reading none the less. This isn't the NY Times it is a message board where we throw out all kinds of things.

Like this article from the last time the Cards had a "real" GM, Bob Ferguson:

http://cjonline.com/stories/081999/spo_cardinals.shtml

What a disaster 1999 was. Took the team 10 years to recover.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Laughable to you maybe but interesting reading none the less. This isn't the NY Times it is a message board where we throw out all kinds of things.

Like this article from the last time the Cards had a "real" GM, Bob Ferguson:

http://cjonline.com/stories/081999/spo_cardinals.shtml

What a disaster 1999 was. Took the team 10 years to recover.

Absolutely a good read. Just not an effective style of arguing.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The NT player you waste a 4th round draft pick on in Whiz's first draft to trade up for in the 2nd round not only has light bulb issues his first three years, he tells you that he doesn't like playing NT.

Nice piece Mitch....the bold phrase is "the line of the year" so far ....that is a riot!!!

GE had light bulb issues too when they decided to leave the busineess to Phillips and Sylvania.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Mitch, the Christmas Cowboys game brought up in your #19 thread is a perfect example of what is wrong in Arizona.

The Cards get TWO pick sixes, and a 74 yard TD pass from their rookie QB to their rookie WR and ride the momentum of those big plays and the 21-3 lead to a last minute 27-26 win.

Had the roles been reversed the Cowboys would have won 42-6.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn