Cardinals GM: If Larry Fitzgerald is ready to play, ‘we’ll have a spot for him’

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is now settled in my mind. Give that man whatever he wants and play him until he’s 60.

yea ummm no... it’s a nice memory and was fun sure and were all appreciative. But you don’t pay guys based on past performance. Especially when at the door of the scrap heap. Sentiment will get you nowhere.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
yea ummm no... it’s a nice memory and was fun sure and were all appreciative. But you don’t pay guys based on past performance. Especially when at the door of the scrap heap. Sentiment will get you nowhere.
I’m kidding, but man, just watching that gives me goosebumps and makes me appreciate him so much more.

I mean, the amount of money I’ve pissed away over the years to Directv to watch some of the worst football ever played.... I will always appreciate Fitz for giving me some excitement.

Plus, it’s so nice to have a player I can point to for my son to emulate as a human being.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I think we are going to hear something about Fitz and what he wants to do with his football career after the Suns season is over. I strongly believe he has more to do with that team and their success than just owning a share and catching a game.

mjb21aztd

Reaction score
If it's taking this long just to make an announcement my guess he is retiring....

Which is a good time imo cards can 100 percent focus on kirk moore who I'm most excited bout and course hop maybe sheug isabella.
.... wildcat maybe? Wr screen speed

Hope hear something soon

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
If it's taking this long just to make an announcement my guess he is retiring....

Which is a good time imo cards can 100 percent focus on kirk moore who I'm most excited bout and course hop maybe sheug isabella.
.... wildcat maybe? Wr screen speed

Hope hear something soon

I feel it’s just the opposite; I think if he was done he would have already said so. Im inclined to believe he comes back for 2021.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
We already have a spot for him in the Ring of Honor and the NFL in the Hall of Fame but we have no spot for him now unless you want to hold back Kirk and Moore (we need to develop guys who can break free on short passes for this type of offense)... and then what do you do with AJ Green, whose legacy obviously is nowhere close to Fitz but offers more at a younger age with relative similar or better production

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kurt Warner was on KTAR earlier and he said he feels Fitz really doesn't know yet whether or not he's going to play or retire. He said "If he knew he was done and he was going to just retire...he'd have retired by now. That's as simple as making an announcement. He must be watching all of the team moves and continuing to see how he feels and if he's ready to give it another go." He said he may still retire, but this not knowing looks more like he is leaning toward returning, in his opinion. He said he has not spoken to Larry about this and has no inside info other than having been a professional player himself who had gone through making that tough decision on whether to play again or hang it up.
logic

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time is on Larry Fitzgerald’s side

Future Hall of Fame receiver Larry Fitzgerald is taking his time to plan his next move. And time is on his side.

Fitzgerald, a savvy veteran who has spent his entire career in Arizona, hasn’t retired. Based on Arizona’s moves, however, the Cardinals seem to have moved on. Fitzgerald officially hasn’t.

It’s smart for him to wait. At this point in his career, money isn’t an issue. Fitzgerald surely wants, and arguably deserves, a Super Bowl ring. So he should wait, as long as he can. Wait until the contenders begin to emerge from the pack. Wait until November, maybe December.

As a free agent, he can sign with any team at any time. If he wants, he can even wait until the Super Bowl teams are known, in January.

It could be too late for him to make a difference by then. At some point before the postseason, he arguably needs to pick a horse and ride it.

The Bucs only make sense if injuries happen. The Chiefs make sense, given their interest in JuJu Smith-Schuster and the chatter that Julio Jones was on their radar screen.

Then there are the Vikings. He’s a Minneapolis native, and his father, Larry Sr., once said that Larry eventually would find his way home. Considering the absence of any high-end options behind Justin Jefferson and Adam Thielen, Minnesota could make sense — if Minnesota ends up performing well enough early in the season for Fitzgerald to conclude that the Vikings have a chance to put the icing on 50 years of unfinished business.

Ultimately, the challenge for Fitzgerald will be timing. There will be a sweet spot for making a decision. The window hasn’t opened yet, and it makes plenty of sense for him to wait. At some point before January, don’t be surprised if Fitzgerald picks a new team and takes one last shot at capping his career with a Super Bowl championship.

QuebecCard

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We already have a spot for him in the Ring of Honor and the NFL in the Hall of Fame but we have no spot for him now unless you want to hold back Kirk and Moore (we need to develop guys who can break free on short passes for this type of offense)... and then what do you do with AJ Green, whose legacy obviously is nowhere close to Fitz but offers more at a younger age with relative similar or better production

You use Fitz as a pass catching Tend - problem solved.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
You use Fitz as a pass catching Tend - problem solved.
To an extent yes, but frankly that is a brutal position for him to do at his age. It's a lot different being a possible direct blocker at the line of scrimmage against some athletic beasts (because he cannot play the 'pass catcher' on every play or it would be a direct tip off to the defense) then moving in to be one on the slot which can pick and choose his blocking as a play develops. He's a WR, one of if not the best ever, so it lends one can think that of him possibly at that too as he does everything at a high level... but the man is no TE

QuebecCard

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
To an extent yes, but frankly that is a brutal position for him to do at his age. It's a lot different being a possible direct blocker at the line of scrimmage against some athletic beasts (because he cannot play the 'pass catcher' on every play or it would be a direct tip off to the defense) then moving in to be one on the slot which can pick and choose his blocking as a play develops. He's a WR, one of if not the best ever, so it lends one can think that of him possibly at that too as he does everything at a high level... but the man is no TE

Show me an effective receiving Tend and I'll show you a converted receiver. He doesn't have to do the Max Williams thing to be effective. The guy who just left town was hardly a blocking dynamo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AussieMatt