• D

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • F

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess? Houston jumped out to a 21-10 halftime lead; the Cards scored on their first possession of the second half and didn't score in the second half despite being handed two turnovers.

The defense did their job that day. Hollywood brown was targeted five times and ended up with two receptions for 18 yards. Kind of a rough look.

The salary cap is $255 million this season. You can roll $20-25 million of cap space year after year, which makes the difference between teams that mainly want to win and teams that mainly want to be profitable.
"I guess" I saw the Cardinals with the ball at the end of the game down 6. Media Darling CJ Stroud threw 3 picks that day.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The salary cap is $255 million this season. You can roll $20-25 million of cap space year after year, which makes the difference between teams that mainly want to win and teams that mainly want to be profitable.
The average NFL team value increased 14% with the Cards increasing 16% or nearly 600 million dollars last year. Spending 20-25m isn't a choice of 'profitability'.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The average NFL team value increased 14% with the Cards increasing 16% or nearly 600 million dollars last year. Spending 20-25m isn't a choice of 'profitability'.
I know you don’t need to be informed of the difference between equity and revenue. Don’t be mad because the absurdity of your post was pointed out.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting distinction in attitudes / expectations of what would've / could've / should've happened if Ossenfort had tried to improve the team more last offseason: @Ouchie-Z-Clown (responding to @Krangodnzr) thinks it wouldn't have made a significant difference and wouldn't have dropped the Cardinals to #10 in the draft:
Eh the type of baseline talent we could have signed wasn’t going to move the needle that much absent kyler. Just like signings this year won’t.
... while @kerouac9 thinks that the Cardinals won more games than they should have to maximize their draft opportunities, and that adding a couple of mid players would have dropped the Cards to #10.
Bro. It's okay to say that Monti screwed up the tank (or Gannon and Kyler did).

If we'd decided to be more competitive and ended up at pick 10, we'd get our choice of the remaining three or four similarly rated skill position players.

I'd have rather not wet the bed against Washington and NYG. YMMV.
It definitely seems reasonable to me that with a bit more talent on the DL, secondary, OL, or backup QB, the Cards could've beaten the Commanders, Giants, and possibly one or two other teams.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you don’t need to be informed of the difference between equity and revenue. Don’t be mad because the absurdity of your post was pointed out.
Sure don't. You mentioned 'cap space' and said nothing of equity in your post.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We'll push that to the limit, I have no doubt.
I'd love to see stats from the Glendale stadium era on how much we have spent towards the cap each year. Not sure where to find that historical data.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You brought up equity when you referenced the Cards franchise value as a non-sequitur.
I brought it up when you brought up profitability. They are well beyond profitable that 20-25M in spending isn't the factor on why teams do and don't do it.

We have been around this song and dance before. I'll bow out.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Interesting distinction in attitudes / expectations of what would've / could've / should've happened if Ossenfort had tried to improve the team more last offseason: @Ouchie-Z-Clown (responding to @Krangodnzr) thinks it wouldn't have made a significant difference and wouldn't have dropped the Cardinals to #10 in the draft:

... while @kerouac9 thinks that the Cardinals won more games than they should have to maximize their draft opportunities, and that adding a couple of mid players would have dropped the Cards to #10.

It definitely seems reasonable to me that with a bit more talent on the DL, secondary, OL, or backup QB, the Cards could've beaten the Commanders, Giants, and possibly one or two other teams.
Your experience playing beach touch football doesn’t carry much weight imo. The incremental difference in play is a total wildcard in a single season. It has a bigger impact over multiple years. Two players, that aren’t the biggest playmakers likely don’t raise the bar a game or two over a single game season imo. They might do that over two seasons. If two mid tier free agents moved the needle a full game, much less two, teams would be falling over themselves to be gaming the cap and signing as many of these as possible. That’s just not the reality

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Your experience playing beach touch football doesn’t carry much weight imo. The incremental difference in play is a total wildcard in a single season. It has a bigger impact over multiple years. Two players, that aren’t the biggest playmakers likely don’t raise the bar a game or two over a single game season imo. They might do that over two seasons. If two mid tier free agents moved the needle a full game, much less two, teams would be falling over themselves to be gaming the cap and signing as many of these as possible. That’s just not the reality
really kinda depends on your starting point

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'd agree if the Cardinals were blown out all of the time, but they weren't. A few better defenders likely would have resulted in a win or two more.
I disagree with this. I don't believe we were as competitive as you seem to think we were. Add a Nichols, Jones and SMB to last year's roster and I don't think it changes any outcomes.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for weighing in with your much more relevant experience as an NFL GM!

So you think that "the five guys we’ve signed this offseason wouldn’t likely impact our record by themselves" - and those kinds of signings wouldn't have moved the needle last year either. If adding talent at the lower and middle end of the roster can't impact a game like the 16-20 loss to Washington (which the Cards led 16-10 midway through the 3rd quarter) or the 28-31 loss to New York (which they led 20-0 at half time but gave up 10 points in the last 4:25) or the 20-21 loss to Seattle (where they gave up a TD with 1:54 to go and missed two FGs in the last 3 minutes), then what's the point of adding them? Somehow next year those guys will make a difference that they were unable to make this year or last?

Anyway, no point arguing what could've happened in a different universe - I was just pointing out the contrast between @Ouchie-Z-Clown's take that adding 5 low-mid free agents would've made no difference last year and will make no difference this year, and @kerouac9's take that adding such players could've dropped the Cardinals to 10 in the draft with an extra win last year. Hilariously, though I sided with @kerouac9, he "liked" both of @Ouchie-Z-Clown's posts and not mine. (Not that I care about such things!) :shrug:

Apparently some people just like to be disagreeable.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
really kinda depends on your starting point
To a degree, yes. Such guys might push a 10 win team to 11. But likely not. They can’t pull the dregs of the league up a game. The more I think of it the sillier I think that notion.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Thanks for weighing in with your much more relevant experience as an NFL GM!

So you think that "the five guys we’ve signed this offseason wouldn’t likely impact our record by themselves" - and those kinds of signings wouldn't have moved the needle last year either. If adding talent at the lower and middle end of the roster can't impact a game like the 16-20 loss to Washington (which the Cards led 16-10 midway through the 3rd quarter) or the 28-31 loss to New York (which they led 20-0 at half time but gave up 10 points in the last 4:25) or the 20-21 loss to Seattle (where they gave up a TD with 1:54 to go and missed two FGs in the last 3 minutes), then what's the point of adding them? Somehow next year those guys will make a difference that they were unable to make this year or last?

Anyway, no point arguing what could've happened in a different universe - I was just pointing out the contrast between @Ouchie-Z-Clown's take that adding 5 low-mid free agents would've made no difference last year and will make no difference this year, and @kerouac9's take that adding such players could've dropped the Cardinals to 10 in the draft with an extra win last year. Hilariously, though I sided with @kerouac9, he "liked" both of @Ouchie-Z-Clown's posts and not mine. (Not that I care about such things!) :shrug:

Apparently some people just like to be disagreeable.
I disagree!!!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think “likely” is too strong a word for Murphy and Allen, even together.
I don't at all. One more win and the Cardinals pick is probably, what? Pick 7?

If you are shooting to get another high pick, you don't resign guys that can influence winning. You just know that this board would be criticizing the team for winning too many games last year if they were in the position where they would likely miss out on true blue chip players.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard