Buffalo and Arizona both had Allen as QB1

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

thank god for the bills. allbright also says down in the same twitter thread that several teams had allen, mayfield and darnold rated above rosen

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Interesting, from Peter King -- kinda contradicts the above:

Four teams called Dorsey with interest in moving up. None got serious. Only one team (I’d guess Arizona) offered a 2019 first-round pick as part of the package to move, which is surprising considering that two quarterbacks were still on the board when the fourth pick came up. The team willing to include its first-rounder next year said to Dorsey before the draft began: “I’m coming up for one player and one player only, and that’s Baker Mayfield.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/30/baker-mayfield-cleveland-browns-draft-mmqb-peter-king

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I thank Buffalo everyday for drafting Allen ahead of the Cards. He’s there PR problem now and goes well with that trash-ass city.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

thank god for the bills. allbright also says down in the same twitter thread that several teams had allen, mayfield and darnold rated above rosen

I don't believe it. Keim more or less hinted he thought Buffalo was stupid to take Allen over Rosen in his press conference.

Now tell me they had Mayfield #1 and I might believe it.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Of course there were teams that had other QBs rated ahead of Rosen. That's why he fell down the draft and the Cards selected him at 10. Why would a team pick a QB they rated lower than Rosen at their spot?

There were also several QB-anxious teams that had him much lower on their draft boards. The draft capital that it took to make the trade was pretty cheap considering the value of a QBOTF. That means the Cards made the best offer to move up. So not only should Rosen be pizzed at the nine mistakes ahead of his pick, he should also be pizzed that only the Cards saw him as worthy of a 'cheap' trade up.

Attitude concerns (is he going to motivate his teammates when the going gets rough or is he going to blame them?), shoulder injury, history of concussions, strictly a pocket passer with limited athletic ability to escape a collapsing pocket, slow as molasses running speed.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't believe it. Keim more or less hinted he thought Buffalo was stupid to take Allen over Rosen in his press conference.

Now tell me they had Mayfield #1 and I might believe it.

Yup, I believe what Peter King is reporting (Likely Arizona wanted fourth pick from Browns to draft Mayfield). I highly doubt Allen ranked above Rosen.

OP
OP
unseenaz

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Truth is that no one but the people who were in the Cardinals War room truly knows who the Cardinals had rated where.
true. I have a sneaking suspicion that we are on all or nothing this season again, that would be epic to hear the backstory of the trade up.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Of course there were teams that had other QBs rated ahead of Rosen. That's why he fell down the draft and the Cards selected him at 10. Why would a team pick a QB they rated lower than Rosen at their spot?

There were also several QB-anxious teams that had him much lower on their draft boards. The draft capital that it took to make the trade was pretty cheap considering the value of a QBOTF. That means the Cards made the best offer to move up. So not only should Rosen be pizzed at the nine mistakes ahead of his pick, he should also be pizzed that only the Cards saw him as worthy of a 'cheap' trade up.

Attitude concerns (is he going to motivate his teammates when the going gets rough or is he going to blame them?), shoulder injury, history of concussions, strictly a pocket passer with limited athletic ability to escape a collapsing pocket, slow as molasses running speed.
His athletic testing at the combine was on par or better than all the QB's that went ahead of him. I think his lack of athleticism is a bit overstated.

gbrim21

Veteran
Reaction score
If this is true, I have doubts about Keim's QB analysis. We know he liked Bortles, which isn't shocking. If he liked Allen best in this class too, makes me think he loves him some big armed, inaccurate QBs. I always blamed BA for that attitude, but maybe Keim was on board with the philosophy.

I don't even care about Allen's dumb tweets, I don't see him panning out in this league. Accuracy issues really don't go away. He also sucked at reading a defense and making decisions. If Keim really had Allen over Rosen my opinion is, just as Keim said when he ended up with David Johnson over Abdullah, it's better to be lucky than good.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
His athletic testing at the combine was on par or better than all the QB's that went ahead of him. I think his lack of athleticism is a bit overstated.

What numbers are you looking at?

Here's Rosen's results from the combine with 15 QBs testing on the different drills (no Lamar Jackson numbers):

40 yard Dash = 13th of 15
3 Cone = 9th of 15
Vertical Jump = 4th of 15 (tied with Benkert & Lauletta)
Broad Jump = 8th of 15
20 yard shuttle = 9th of 15

Only one QB lifted 225 lbs so no stats for Rosen.

In a group of 15, he had one result better than 'middle of the pack' (Vertical Jump) and one result at the 'middle of the pack.' If Lamar Jackson would have tested pretty sure Rosen would have been pushed even further down the results.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2018&workout=FORTY_YARD_DASH&position=QB

Rosen is not 'on a par' or better than the other QBs. Only good result was the vertical jump---which may help him jump out of the way behind our OL.

Do you have other numbers or results for Rosen and the other QB besides the combine drills that would prove your point?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
What numbers are you looking at?

Here's Rosen's results from the combine with 15 QBs testing on the different drills (no Lamar Jackson numbers):

40 yard Dash = 13th of 15
3 Cone = 9th of 15
Vertical Jump = 4th of 15 (tied with Benkert & Lauletta)
Broad Jump = 8th of 15
20 yard shuttle = 9th of 15

Only one QB lifted 225 lbs so no stats for Rosen.

In a group of 15, he had one result better than 'middle of the pack' (Vertical Jump) and one result at the 'middle of the pack.' If Lamar Jackson would have tested pretty sure Rosen would have been pushed even further down the results.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2018&workout=FORTY_YARD_DASH&position=QB

Rosen is not 'on a par' or better than the other QBs. Only good result was the vertical jump---which may help him jump out of the way behind our OL.

Do you have other numbers or results for Rosen and the other QB besides the combine drills that would prove your point?
I noticed that you didn't bother to actually list any of the times. So I suppose I will do that for you. Also I specified "QBs that went ahead of him".

40 yard dash: Allen 4.75, Mayfield 4.84, Darnold 4.85, Rosen 4.92

20 yard shuttle: Rosen and Mayfield 4.28, Darnold and Allen 4.40

3 cone drill: Allen 6.90, Darnold 6.96, Mayfield 7.00, Rosen 7.09

Broad jump: Allen 9'11", Mayfield and Rosen 9'3", Darnold 8'9"

Vertical: Allen 33.5, Rosen 31, Mayfield 29, Darnold 26.5

Looking at these numbers I would say that he was on par with pretty much all of those guys and was better than Darnold overall. I don't see how my statement was in any incorrect.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
imagine taking 10 measurements, there only 1 matters but you want to be 'thorough' - then the 1 that matters is off the charts and the other 9 are failures. hopefully good evaluators take a look at that 10% success rate and can adjust accordingly :)

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It was Mayfield and Rosen no matter what they say, and I think if that fell through they would have taken a flyer on Lauletta or Rudolph. I think only two QBs are going to succeed in this draft, and that is Rosen and Rudolph because of the talent and infrastructure of their teams. I look at Darnold and the amount of time he played QB, his uninspiring persona and just do not see him thriving in a New York market. I like Mayfield but Cleveland will destroy him after probably some short term success of unbelievable plays and then a litany of WTF plays due to a dysfunctional supporting staff which then will not be able to control the entire locker room and not just him. Allen just comes across as a naive kid with accuracy problems shipped off to the cold North. A QB has to have an ego but you need a stable environment for the ego to be a plus. So happy the Bills took Allen if there is any truth to the story

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It was Mayfield and Rosen no matter what they say, and I think if that fell through they would have taken a flyer on Lauletta or Rudolph. I think only two QBs are going to succeed in this draft, and that is Rosen and Rudolph because of the talent and infrastructure of their teams. I look at Darnold and the amount of time he played QB, his uninspiring persona and just do not see him thriving in a New York market. I like Mayfield but Cleveland will destroy him after probably some short term success of unbelievable plays and then a litany of WTF plays due to a dysfunctional supporting staff which then will not be able to control the entire locker room and not just him. Allen just comes across as a naive kid with accuracy problems shipped off to the cold North. A QB has to have an ego but you need a stable environment for the ego to be a plus. So happy the Bills took Allen if there is any truth to the story

I agree with all of this. I strongly doubt we'd have so enthusiastically traded up for Rosen and then talked about how nervous we were at the Bills' pick if in fact Rosen wasn't up there on top.

Tell me that Mayfield was #1, and I might agree - the Browns called their shot and took him, so we had no say in the matter.

OP
OP
unseenaz

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
meh, eli is the same if not worse. it honestly probably helps with the NY media, don't let it affect them.