Budda requests trade

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
They bargained the way contacts are dealt with. So that is the cards they dealt themselves. Why sign off on that if you don't like it? I'll tell you why because they got something back for it in return. My guess is they got a bigger piece of the pie.
It goes both ways. I'm not going to bag on the players leveraging everything they can to get better deals. I'm never, ever going to go with the joke "that's the contract you signed" excuse because you can say the same thing about the owners. The team signed him to the contract, but they can leverage the situation by cutting or trading the player. Both sides have options to help do away with unfavorable contracts.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
That is the bargain they struck with the owners. If they don't like it then make that priority in the next negotiations. Can't blame owner either for playing the game the way it was bargained either.

I am usually on the players side. And can't blame anyone for trying to get more. It's human nature.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
So you're saying MG and DH all played their best ball and deserve to continue to get paid? I laugh if that is your stance. Golden who I have met him and his Mom are great people. But he wasn't worth the money being paid. Hopkins healthy scratched himself last year, so ya they played their ass off to get more money. Chandler played out his contract. We're just going to have to agree to disagree.
So explain to me how it is honoring the contract when the Cardinals cut Golden when he is still on his contract. Or are you saying that the only party that needs to honor the contract is the player? In terms of "honoring the contract", production should have nothing to do with it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Pretty funny to go back and see what you and others that are agreeing with you said in the thread where he got this contact.
From that thread, I feel it reads like I was in favor of signing him.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Jesus man try to grasp some context. We are talking about a time when most of the franchises weren’t even sure they would be around from year to year and the league wasn’t certain to survive. This wasn’t a period of fat owners. This was a period where other than the maras, the owners were taking losses each year just to field teams.
right? some of these families worked hard for an entire generation and mortgaged their lives to make these teams work.
but some would have them not enjoy the benefits of their families sacrifice just because they hate rich people.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
IIRC when Baker got paid none of us were really against it. we just felt he was paid too high, but accepted it because of his contribution in the locker room
We accepted it as fans we have no choice. Hopefully we avoid yet another overpay…

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
IIRC when Baker got paid none of us were really against it. we just felt he was paid too high, but accepted it because of his contribution in the locker room
Most thought it would be a bargain in a couple years, but now he's throwing a tantrum. So the bargain years are well unknown.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
As a cornerstone for the Defense. Someone to build around. JMO.
That would be fine if he were a real difference maker, or didn't want to be overpaid at a non-premium position.

I'm fully expecting that we extend him again, and I'll be unhappy like the first time. He's not going to get more durable, and he has a lot of miles on that mini frame.

We already have a ton of money invested in the safety position - I really hope we don't further that mistake.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This last season, when he went from a possible season ending injury, to playing the next week, what more of an image do you need to the rest of the team? No one thought he would play. You want guys like that on your team.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
And you stated cutting him this year was my point. You're advocating the team not honoring the contract.
This is true. I don't care about "honoring the contract" from both sides. I don't mind the team cutting players when they can, and I have no issue with players holding out or demanding trades.

What I have been pointing out in multiple threads is board members who complain about Budda, and that he should just honor his contract when they also support the team cutting players as well, and not honoring the contracts.

The hypocrisy is astounding.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a cornerstone for the Defense. Someone to build around. JMO.

Budda is a piece to build the new culture around.

That is what the 2023 season will be about for the Cardinals. Finding who on the roster is good and fits the new culture. Those guys will be Cardinals in 2024 and those guys will be rewarded with new contracts.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

That is what the 2023 season will be about for the Cardinals. Finding who on the roster is good and fits the new culture. Those guys will be Cardinals in 2024 and those guys will be rewarded with new contracts.
Unless another team offers more.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

I'm about 90% certain Budda gets a new or reworked contract before training camp. Just a strong, strong feeling.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Correct. It’s all about culture now. Those that enhance the culture that MOJG are trying to build will be here and those that don’t will not be here. I maintain that culture builds late season surges and a lack of culture is what this team experienced late in every season under KK.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Two thoughts on this.

1 - You can afford to pay Budda if you want because you only have a handful of players on the roster worth paying at all. Also, Jalen Thompson only has two expensive years on his contract, 2024 and 2025.

2 - Extending Budda would kind of be a head scratcher move. Yes, he is a solid culture fit but he also plays S. How much should a team be investing in the S position? Is that building the lines?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two thoughts on this.

1 - You can afford to pay Budda if you want because you only have a handful of players on the roster worth paying at all. Also, Jalen Thompson only has two expensive years on his contract, 2024 and 2025.

2 - Extending Budda would kind of be a head scratcher move. Yes, he is a solid culture fit but he also plays S. How much should a team be investing in the S position? Is that building the lines?

Monti already identified Budda as a guy who represents what he looks for in a player. So I have no problem extending Budda a couple of years and converting more of his salary to guaranteed money. Then also consider that Budda is on the field for 100% of the snaps in most games, as is Thompson. So you are getting good bang for your buck.

In today's NFL Safeties have become more valuable than they were just a decade ago. They are asked to do much more than just be a single high safety. They move from safety, to the box, to the slot.

Not sure what extending a safety has to do with the OL and DL?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Monti already identified Budda as a guy who represents what he looks for in a player. So I have no problem extending Budda a couple of years and converting more of his salary to guaranteed money. Then also consider that Budda is on the field for 100% of the snaps in most games, as is Thompson. So you are getting good bang for your buck.

In today's NFL Safeties have become more valuable than they were just a decade ago. They are asked to do much more than just be a single high safety. They move from safety, to the box, to the slot.

Not sure what extending a safety has to do with the OL and DL?
It is a salary cap league, and Budda is 27 at a non-premium position. I have heard a ton on this board how we couldn't afford certain players, and that we needed to clean up the cap. Paying a S up to or through his age 30 season seems like a great way to not be able to add top players at OL, DL, CB and EDGE.

Also, in this thread, much has been said about Budda not being a playmaker, and the Cardinals being bad with him on the roster. IS it worth spending 25 mil at the S position when you are spending 20 mil at DL and EDGE combined?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It is a salary cap league, and Budda is 27 at a non-premium position. I have heard a ton on this board how we couldn't afford certain players, and that we needed to clean up the cap. Paying a S up to or through his age 30 season seems like a great way to not be able to add top players at OL, DL, CB and EDGE.

Also, in this thread, much has been said about Budda not being a playmaker, and the Cardinals being bad with him on the roster. IS it worth spending 25 mil at the S position when you are spending 20 mil at DL and EDGE combined?
The counterpoint to this is that you're trying to build the lines through the draft, and by the time your offensive and defensive lines are maturing into second contracts, you're cutting ties with Budda or easing him into a lower-priced contract.

Paying Budda and Jalen isn't as painful if you're not bringing in 1-2 top-market free agents at real positions.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Two thoughts on this.

I wouldn't necessarily extend him, but I'd rework his remaining contract. Basically take his 2023 and 2024 cap hits and just make it all guaranteed in 2023...would be about $20 million for 2023 (obviously he's not worth that much, so maybe you go $17-18 million). His current base salary in 2023 is $13 million, but his cap hit is $16.8. His 2024 cap hit is $3.75. Tear up 2024, making him a UFA a year sooner and getting him in camp and happy for 2023. Then you've got one year to see how the experiment with Budda, Jalen and Simmons plays out...Keep who you want for 2024 and beyond, and let walk the players who don't pan out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA