Budda requests trade

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Budda has a 2023 salary of $13,096,359 guaranteed as of game one of the upcoming season.

Walk away from that?

(I don't think so.)
I don’t think budda’s agent gets a part of that. I will say this again, the agent is pushing this not the player. It seems when people are talking they confuse guaranteed money with signing bonuses paid in year 1.

I would not extend any more money other than what his existing contract calls for. No play no pay, move on…

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don’t think budda’s agent gets a part of that. I will say this again, the agent is pushing this not the player. It seems when people are talking they confuse guaranteed money with signing bonuses paid in year 1.

I would not extend any more money other than what his existing contract calls for. No play no pay, move on…

It's the agents' job to push for a new deal, etc., and he's not doing it without Budda's say-so.

It's up to Monti to decide how he fits going forward and the price point.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
You know you're up against it when you jump to PFF for positional rankings.
Ha, it's a lazy attempt at data gathering, but if you were to look at this list, where does Budda rank? Even if higher than 5, does it make sense to pay big money to him, considering all the reasons against it? (age/size/style of play/moderate contribution in big plays/positional value/completely rebuilding team)

Budda is a good player, verging on great. Paying him big money considering all the factors above seems like a bad move to me. Whatever leadership he provides obviously doesn't move the needle, as we painfully learned last year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Ha, it's a lazy attempt at data gathering, but if you were to look at this list, where does Budda rank? Even if higher than 5, does it make sense to pay big money to him, considering all the reasons against it? (age/size/style of play/moderate contribution in big plays/positional value/completely rebuilding team)

Budda is a good player, verging on great. Paying him big money considering all the factors above seems like a bad move to me. Whatever leadership he provides obviously doesn't move the needle, as we painfully learned last year.
I feel there is a valid argument to not re-sign Budda Baker based upon age and positional value alone. That said, he is still one of the best S in the NFL, and it makes little sense to let him walk if the Cardinals are not going to be aggressive in the free agent market.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I feel there is a valid argument to not re-sign Budda Baker based upon age and positional value alone. That said, he is still one of the best S in the NFL, and it makes little sense to let him walk if the Cardinals are not going to be aggressive in the free agent market.
I'm of the position pay him his current contract for the next two years then let him walk. If he chooses not to honor his contract then try and trade him. If no one else wants him at that price cut his ass.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Character, yes. Loyalty, to be seen.
Really? No former players blast Budda for being a snake in the grass. Budda re-signed with the Cardinals after his rookie deal…Gannon is his 4th HC in his career? Only person the Cardinals have been loyal to is Steve Keim which should tell you all you need to know.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Really? No former players blast Budda for being a snake in the grass. Budda re-signed with the Cardinals after his rookie deal…Gannon is his 4th HC in his career? Only person the Cardinals have been loyal to is Steve Keim which should tell you all you need to know.
So the contract he signed means nothing? I'm talking about Budda's contract, not former players. And Steve Keim is gone. That's all white noise. We will see abut Budda's loyalty. I like him as a player. Maybe I am old school, but his schtick is wearing on me. We all have our opinion.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Drew Butler and Amos Jones say hold our keg of beer lol

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It is a salary cap league, and Budda is 27 at a non-premium position. I have heard a ton on this board how we couldn't afford certain players, and that we needed to clean up the cap. Paying a S up to or through his age 30 season seems like a great way to not be able to add top players at OL, DL, CB and EDGE.

Also, in this thread, much has been said about Budda not being a playmaker, and the Cardinals being bad with him on the roster. IS it worth spending 25 mil at the S position when you are spending 20 mil at DL and EDGE combined?
We can pay him because we have so much cap room now. Give him his bonus and fo not prorate it. Take the cap hit now when it will never hurt us

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
There is a new culture underway. I don’t know the outcome positive or not. It’s not being driven by Budda so it’s up to him to embrace it or not. Everybody chooses their path or it’s chosen for them.
No, the new culture will be seen as a joke by the players if the team takes a hard-line stance with BB. They'll see it as a double standard, demanding pure loyalty while ruthlessly getting rid of their best players, heart and soul kind of players. Sure, playing "take it or leave it" with a guy like BB sounds good from a fan perspective, but it would not be a good look to the very players the team is trying to influence. It would flush their cred down the toilet. And Monti doesn't appear to be doing that, so :thumbup:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So the contract he signed means nothing? I'm talking about Budda's contract, not former players. And Steve Keim is gone. That's all white noise. We will see abut Budda's loyalty. I like him as a player. Maybe I am old school, but his schtick is wearing on me. We all have our opinion.
The modern NFL isn't an "he doesn't want to play out the end of his contract so he's poison" proposition any longer. To answer your unasked question, yes, the problem is you're old school. I used to be there too. Very much not the way the NFL works now. To say a player should just play out their contract every time or they're disloyal is to be a company shill.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The modern NFL isn't an "he doesn't want to play out the end of his contract so he's poison" proposition any longer. To answer your unasked question, yes, the problem is you're old school. I used to be there too. Very much not the way the NFL works now. To say a player should just play out their contract every time or they're disloyal is to be a company shill.
:bang:

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What shtick? We're the only asshats still publicly debating this stuff. Best I can tell, he made a request/demand, the rest is playing out behind closed doors, the way it has my entire football watching life, and a bunch of team supporters are drawing lines in the sand between players and owners. Hilarious.

The facts are he is doing what needs to be done to keep getting paid, preparing for the upcoming season, isnt blabbing all over social media on a daily basis, while leveraging his skill set on a woefully understaffed ball club, to ensure if something were to happen to him, as it did last season (remember him playing through injuries that would have sidelined perhaps 90% of all players????), that he at least has some guarantee of continued income, and isnt just thrown on the scrapheap if he cant go.

The disdain for this tactic represents either a fundamental lack of understanding how the league works, or a decision to draw a line in the sand as to whom deserves the biggest piece of the GINORMOUS NFL pie. We know where you stand. I stick with the players.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's not a schtick. It's one of the few tools that players have to negotiate with. Budda knows just like almost every other player in the NFL that the NFL is all about business. There is no loyalty in the NFL. Loyalty is a fan's dream.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You’re not old school. Just out of touch.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard