Budda requests trade

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What shtick? We're the only asshats still publicly debating this stuff. Best I can tell, he made a request/demand, the rest is playing out behind closed doors, the way it has my entire football watching life, and a bunch of team supporters are drawing lines in the sand between players and owners. Hilarious.

The facts are he is doing what needs to be done to keep getting paid, preparing for the upcoming season, isnt blabbing all over social media on a daily basis, while leveraging his skill set on a woefully understaffed ball club, to ensure if something were to happen to him, as it did last season (remember him playing through injuries that would have sidelined perhaps 90% of all players????), that he at least has some guarantee of continued income, and isnt just thrown on the scrapheap if he cant go.

The disdain for this tactic represents either a fundamental lack of understanding how the league works, or a decision to draw a line in the sand as to whom deserves the biggest piece of the GINORMOUS NFL pie. We know where you stand. I stick with the players.
Another Schutd W.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Other than rookie deals and star QB's, I wonder how many players actually play out their contract with a team. I'm guessing a very low %.
I don't mind BB asking for a new deal. He knows he's likely cut after this year regardless of how he plays. That's why I'd go ahead and trade him now and get something, unlike Monti did for Hopkins.

If he happens to get injured this year, his market price plummets. He's just doing what any good player tries to do. I'll side with players over Bidwill almost every time.

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

As ESPN's Jeremy Fowler compiled a ranking of the top 10 safeties in the NFL, one NFL executive said he believes it's unlikely that the Cardinals would be willing to trade one of the faces of their defense.

"That guy won't be going anywhere," the exec said of Baker, who landed fourth on the list. "That's the last guy you trade. A true difference-maker."

"You can do so many things with him, and oh yeah, he's going to hit with the best of him," an NFC scout told Fowler. "He's a missile."

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
BuT wHaT aBoUt HiS pFf RaNkIngG
Who cares? His inclusion on the team doesn't move the needle, and extending an undersized and nicked up guy at a non-premium position creates the same problem we're trying to avoid.

You personally wouldn't make him a top paid safety, would you? So what does it matter where he's ranked?

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Who cares? His inclusion on the team doesn't move the needle, and extending an undersized and nicked up guy at a non-premium position creates the same problem we're trying to avoid.

You personally wouldn't make him a top paid safety, would you? So what does it matter where he's ranked?
ESPN doesn't explain all of the details behind their ratings but says "As part of ESPN's 2023 NFL season preview, we surveyed league executives, coaches, scouts and players to help us rank the top 10 players at 11 different positions..." Budda was rated #4 on this list. So, it wasn't some random journalist/website guys who ranked them him high, it was from a poll of people that most are paid to evaluate this for a living.

Whether he fits our scheme or long-term plans well enough to justify extending his contract is up for debate, but people in the league feel his talent justifies making him a top paid safety.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
ESPN doesn't explain all of the details behind their ratings but says "As part of ESPN's 2023 NFL season preview, we surveyed league executives, coaches, scouts and players to help us rank the top 10 players at 11 different positions..." Budda was rated #4 on this list. So, it wasn't some random journalist/website guys who ranked them him high, it was from a poll of people that most are paid to evaluate this for a living.

Whether he fits our scheme or long-term plans well enough to justify extending his contract is up for debate, but people in the league feel his talent justifies making him a top paid safety.
Yes.

I feel like I have said this before, but I understand the argument of not extending Budda because you don't want to invest those dollars at the S position. I would question the current situation in that if you aren't paying Budda, who are you paying? That said, I get that argument.

What is shocking to me is those who want to act like Budda's request for an extension or a trade was not completely justified and appropriate. This is how the business of the NFL works. Yet, board members said he was less in their eyes after, and that he wasn't even that good of a S all because of his request. Some jilted lovers on here for sure.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

After the Cardinals decided to forego the 2023 NFL free agency period, I might consider extending Budda. This roster is deficient in top NFL players. The organization struggles to sign quality free agents. The organization lacks veteran leadership. If not him, who? Marquise Brown and/or Marco Wilson are probably the only other internal FA potentially worth signing over the next two off-seasons.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
After the Cardinals decided to forego the 2023 NFL free agency period, I might consider extending Budda. This roster is deficient in top NFL players. The organization struggles to sign quality free agents. The organization lacks veteran leadership. If not him, who? Marquise Brown and/or Marco Wilson are probably the only other internal FA potentially worth signing over the next two off-seasons.
Yeah, it's a fair question. You have to spend money on someone, and that often ends up with paying above market contracts for questionable value. It's a vicious cycle at a certain point - maybe this FO is the one to break the Cards of the habit?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a fair question. You have to spend money on someone, and that often ends up with paying above market contracts for questionable value. It's a vicious cycle at a certain point - maybe this FO is the one to break the Cards of the habit?
I don't think it is a vicious cycle. I think it is the reality when you are building a 5 year roster plan in relation to a salary cap. If the Cardinals had extended Allen or Murphy, extending Budda would have been less of an option. If they would have signed a high dollar player in free agency, a Budda extension would again have been less of an option.

The reality is in 2025, the Cardinals have 4 players scheduled to make over 2 mil (excluding Ertz's void year). One of those players will be 32 year old DJ Humphries on the last year of his deal and the team can cut him to save 16 mil. Giving Budda a 3 year extension to have him signed through age 31 isn't going to hurt our cap in any way or prevent the Cardinals from adding good players.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Also, Jalen Thompson becomes a FA after the 2025 season but will still be on the books for 2026 as Keim gave him a void year. That fat bastard really loved those stupid voided years which created dead money and reduced our comp pick formula.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Also, Jalen Thompson becomes a FA after the 2025 season but will still be on the books for 2026 as Keim gave him a void year. That fat bastard really loved those stupid voided years which created dead money and reduced our comp pick formula.

There is evidently a league of 'fat bastards' given that there is nothing novel about void years.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I don't think it is a vicious cycle. I think it is the reality when you are building a 5 year roster plan in relation to a salary cap. If the Cardinals had extended Allen or Murphy, extending Budda would have been less of an option. If they would have signed a high dollar player in free agency, a Budda extension would again have been less of an option.
If given the choice, I'd have much rather extended Allen and Murphy at the contracts that were offered than to pay Budda top 3 safety money. Both at more important positions and younger.

The bigger issue is that our beloved Redbirds are a loser franchise that players can't wait to escape. The quotes from Murphy are depressing. If we're constantly stuck in a cycle of having to overpay anyone decent to stay, that's not a winning formula.
The reality is in 2025, the Cardinals have 4 players scheduled to make over 2 mil (excluding Ertz's void year). One of those players will be 32 year old DJ Humphries on the last year of his deal and the team can cut him to save 16 mil. Giving Budda a 3 year extension to have him signed through age 31 isn't going to hurt our cap in any way or prevent the Cardinals from adding good players.
Isn't going to hurt our cap? If we decide to make Budda a top 3 paid safety, that will take a more than nominal cap hit, right? Or your argument is we're paying almost nobody so even if we max out Budda it doesn't matter?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't going to hurt our cap? If we decide to make Budda a top 3 paid safety, that will take a more than nominal cap hit, right? Or your argument is we're paying almost nobody so even if we max out Budda it doesn't matter?
Look at what Jesse Bates III just signed for this offseason:

The Cap hit from his recent contract is:

2023 $9.5M
2024 $17.5
2025 $18.5
2026 $18.5

Look at what is left on Budda's remaining contract:

2023 $16.8M
2024 $17.9M

Guaranteeing those remaining two years will most likely not affect the cap hit at all those two years. Then you tack on $17M a year in 2025 and 2026 and all is good.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There is evidently a league of 'fat bastards' given that there is nothing novel about void years.
Generally not to players you are paying 12.5 mil per year and will be 28 when they next become a free agent and would net you a 3rd round pick in return. Those are indeed novel.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

2023 $9.5M
2024 $17.5
2025 $18.5
2026 $18.5

Look at what is left on Budda's remaining contract:

2023 $16.8M
2024 $17.9M

Guaranteeing those remaining two years will most likely not affect the cap hit at all those two years. Then you tack on $17M a year in 2025 and 2026 and all is good.
This does a nice job highlighting what an extension would look like.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

2023 $9.5M
2024 $17.5
2025 $18.5
2026 $18.5
Ha, basically a Zach Allen deal!

• 2023: $7,250,00 cap hit / $32,500,000 dead cap
  • 2024: $20,250,000 cap hit / $25,250,000 dead cap
  • 2025: $18,250,000 cap hit / $5,000,000 dead cap

Does this mean a top tier safety is worth a good but not great DE these days? Who is the better investment?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Does this mean a top tier safety is worth a good but not great DE these days? Who is the better investment?
I believe there is one answer that fits roster's in general, and another answer that fits the Cardinals unique situation they have created for themselves.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I go with the elite talent in a heartbeat. Zero question here.

Shoot you get almost the same amount of sacks from Baker (7.5 Career) as you do from Allen (11.5 Career) and that is what you would be paying Allen for.