Budda requests trade

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The counterpoint to this is that you're trying to build the lines through the draft, and by the time your offensive and defensive lines are maturing into second contracts, you're cutting ties with Budda or easing him into a lower-priced contract.

Paying Budda and Jalen isn't as painful if you're not bringing in 1-2 top-market free agents at real positions.
Agree with this.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily extend him, but I'd rework his remaining contract. Basically take his 2023 and 2024 cap hits and just make it all guaranteed in 2023...would be about $20 million for 2023 (obviously he's not worth that much, so maybe you go $17-18 million). His current base salary in 2023 is $13 million, but his cap hit is $16.8. His 2024 cap hit is $3.75. Tear up 2024, making him a UFA a year sooner and getting him in camp and happy for 2023. Then you've got one year to see how the experiment with Budda, Jalen and Simmons plays out...Keep who you want for 2024 and beyond, and let walk the players who don't pan out.
I don't see the point of this from the Cardinals side. (or from Budda's side tbh)

We already have Budda on, essentially, a one year deal. So, it is an easy out for the Cardinals if they want to let him go. Also, you can't "tear up a year" when reworking an extension outside of a voidable year which then impacts your comp pick formula.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Budda is fine! He also wants to be paid as a top safety, when he isn't and hasn't been one. He's a nice player, and a leader, but paying non-premium players top money, especially with no hope of contending, seems like a bad move!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Love me some Budda Baker but you don't build around a unhappy 5'10" safety who wants more money and is tired of losing here
Like @kerouac9 said, it mostly depends on what you want to do with your roster building. If you are planning on spending a ton in free agency, extending Budda isn't smart. If you plan on taking a measured approach to FA, extending Budda three years impacts the roster less because there aren't a ton of players who are worth extending right now.

2024: Marquise Brown / Isaiah Simmons / Marco Wilson
2025: Zaven Collins

McBride, Thomas, Sanders, etc are all after that.

If you intend to minimally dip into the FA market, why not extend Budda?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Love me some Budda Baker but you don't build around a unhappy 5'10" safety who wants more money and is tired of losing here
The only problem I have is his timing. He doesn't even know the new coaches yet. He wants out before knowing the change or not change in the organization. Him wanting to be traded is basically telling all of us, there is no future for the Cardinals after bringing in new coaches and GM.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The only problem I have is his timing. He doesn't even know the new coaches yet. He wants out before knowing the change or not change in the organization. Him wanting to be traded is basically telling all of us, there is no future for the Cardinals after bringing in new coaches and GM.
He probably didn't want out. Sounds like a plan by his agent to improve/extend his contract. JMO.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Two thoughts on this.

1 - You can afford to pay Budda if you want because you only have a handful of players on the roster worth paying at all. Also, Jalen Thompson only has two expensive years on his contract, 2024 and 2025.

2 - Extending Budda would kind of be a head scratcher move. Yes, he is a solid culture fit but he also plays S. How much should a team be investing in the S position? Is that building the lines?
Agree. I would offer a restructure without exteded time or more money.
If that wont make him happy then start shopping. I like Baker but he isnt a ballhawk or game changer....
And as soon as the team started hyping him as the type of team guy they wanted he turned into a me first guy.
Good safeties can be had in the third round pretty frequently.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Agree. I would offer a restructure without exteded time or more money.
If that wont make him happy then start shopping. I like Baker but he isnt a ballhawk or game changer....
And as soon as the team started hyping him as the type of team guy they wanted he turned into a me first guy.
Good safeties can be had in the third round pretty frequently.
I disagree pretty strongly that you're "frequently" replacing a BB in the third round of the draft. And, what, with the team literally not trying to win, you expect him to shut up and toe the company line? I walk into work and see an absolute shambles around me, I'm going to start asking questions too. Perhpas it's not the best approach for the team, and there's something to be said for choosing your moment, I can agree with that, but it's also balanced against fans just thinking players should always shut up and be "rah rah team team" all the time. That's nice from the sideline perspective but doesn't reflect the reality of the NFL.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I disagree pretty strongly that you're "frequently" replacing a BB in the third round of the draft. And, what, with the team literally not trying to win, you expect him to shut up and toe the company line? I walk into work and see an absolute shambles around me, I'm going to start asking questions too. Perhpas it's not the best approach for the team, and there's something to be said for choosing your moment, I can agree with that, but it's also balanced against fans just thinking players should always shut up and be "rah rah team team" all the time. That's nice from the sideline perspective but doesn't reflect the reality of the NFL.
Reality. Baker was over paid by about 3-4mil a year when he got his current contract.
Reality. Baker is neither a ballhawk nor a game changer.
Reality. Baker wants to be paid like a game changer.
Reality. The new staff hyped baker up as the type of hard working team first guy they like.
Reality. Baker is trying to leverage that hype into even more money he wont earn on the field.
Reality. Baker has proven he is no longer the hard working team first guy he once was,...he is all about budda.

Reality. Baker has like 6 turnovers in his entire career and wants to be paid like he gets 6 a season.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Reality. Baker was over paid by about 3-4mil a year when he got his current contract.
Reality. The new staff hyped baker up as the type of hard working team first guy they like.
Reality. Baker is trying to leverage that hype into even more money he wont earn on the field.
Reality. Baker has proven he is no longer the hard working team first guy he once was,...he is all about budda.

Reality. Baker has like 6 turnovers in his entire career and wants to be paid like he gets 6 a season.
Solid

Stout

Reaction score

Reality: He's spoken up and out against the cards so some posters will drag his name through the mud. Standard fare. I don't want us to fork over the dough either, but I'm not going to pretend he's suddenly a dog like you and others.

For my part, I hope we keep him. I hope we don't have to pay him more to do so. If BB goes, the credibility of this FO takes a massive hit. Monti's in a bit of a bind here, because giving BB more money probably isn't a great idea. Trading him is a terrible idea that tears the heart out of the idea of a culture change. By fostering the tank, however, Monti created the circumstances that drove BB to this. Monti will have to earn his salt and fix the situation.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Reality: He's spoken up and out against the cards so some posters will drag his name through the mud. Standard fare. I don't want us to fork over the dough either, but I'm not going to pretend he's suddenly a dog like you and others.

For my part, I hope we keep him. I hope we don't have to pay him more to do so. If BB goes, the credibility of this FO takes a massive hit. Monti's in a bit of a bind here, because giving BB more money probably isn't a great idea. Trading him is a terrible idea that tears the heart out of the idea of a culture change. By fostering the tank, however, Monti created the circumstances that drove BB to this. Monti will have to earn his salt and fix the situation.
please dont exaggerate when you put words in my mouth. I never said he was a dog. I like Budda, dude is exactly my kinda player, he has guts.
But this is professional football and there has to be production to match the guts. Right now, as is... Baker is the 7th highest paid safety in the NFL. are you honestly going to claim he has lived up to that contract?
The most valuable commodity Baker had was his attitude...and he just trashed it.... so now we are paying 14mil a year for a 9mil safety.

Stout

Reaction score
please dont exaggerate when you put words in my mouth. I never said he was a dog. I like Budda, dude is exactly my kinda player, he has guts.
But this is professional football and there has to be production to match the guts. Right now, as is... Baker is the 7th highest paid safety in the NFL. are you honestly going to claim he has lived up to that contract?
The most valuable commodity Baker had was his attitude...and he just trashed it.... so now we are paying 14mil a year for a 9mil safety.
Okay, sure.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Yeah this is a tough one he walked into. I'm sure it pains him more than anything to see all that money tied up in the safety position. But if he were to let Budda go, the public outcry would be too much.

Monti has to figure out a compromise without extending Budda or guaranteeing top safety money, which is what $19 mil now? That ain't happening. Unless it's just for 2023. That might be the best option if Budda is willing. The problem is Budda wants a new contract now because he knows every year he waits, the numbers are going down.

Stout

Reaction score
Yeah this is a tough one he walked into. I'm sure it pains him more than anything to see all that money tied up in the safety position. But if he were to let Budda go, the public outcry would be too much.

Monti has to figure out a compromise without extending Budda or guaranteeing top safety money, which is what $19 mil now? That ain't happening. Unless it's just for 2023. That might be the best option if Budda is willing. The problem is Budda wants a new contract now because he knows every year he waits, the numbers are going down.
Yep. And he knows his best years left are going to be absolutely wasted. He'll still have juice in the tank by the time the Cards are (hopefully) good again, but not his peak earning years.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I’ve come around and am okay trading him. The Cards are going to stink this year, and likely the next. They want to keep him around for his attitude. That will likely change without a new contract and all the losing.

His value now will be at the highest it’s going to be. I do think he’s a top safety and the defensive leader(you can’t base everything on just turnovers).

Plus, I think Monti may be from the Parcells to Belichick thinking where he has certain size parameters that he wants for each position. Buddha outplays his size but that may not last.

Stout

Reaction score
I’ve come around and am okay trading him. The Cards are going to stink this year, and likely the next. They want to keep him around for his attitude. That will likely change without a new contract and all the losing.

His value now will be at the highest it’s going to be. I do think he’s a top safety and the defensive leader(you can’t base everything on just turnovers).

Plus, I think Monti may be from the Parcells to Belichick thinking where he has certain size parameters that he wants for each position. Buddha outplays his size but that may not last.
The more we burn it down, the longer it will take to rebuild. We're already looking at a horrific defense and a team that won't compete until 2025 minimum; why not make it worse?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Reality: Budda is in the last year of his deal, and if he's not 'all about Budda' at this point, when exactly?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yes. Name 7 other safeties better than Budda.
(yes, this is a trap)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Anyone who wants to come at Budda Baker, be ready to debate against these numbers.

Over the past three seasons (the time since he got his extension that people are now complaining about).

7 ints.
20 pd
327 combined tackles
14 tfls
2 forced fumbles
4 sacks
8 QB hits

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Anyone who wants to come at Budda Baker, be ready to debate against these numbers.

Over the past three seasons (the time since he got his extension that people are now complaining about).

7 ints.
20 pd
327 combined tackles
14 tfls
2 forced fumbles
4 sacks
8 QB hits
You should know better than to bring facts to an argument.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Budda has zero guaranteed money left on his deal. It shouldn't be that hard to redo his deal, guarantee a bunch of his salary and add a couple of years to the end of the contract.

Without the guaranteed money he won't play.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Budda has zero guaranteed money left on his deal. It shouldn't be that hard to redo his deal, guarantee a bunch of his salary and add a couple of years to the end of the contract.

Without the guaranteed money he won't play.

Budda has a 2023 salary of $13,096,359 guaranteed as of game one of the upcoming season.

Walk away from that?

(I don't think so.)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard