Budda Baker getting paid

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a bit? The guy is a safety I don’t care if he’s a “box safety” or not he’s never had a career interception and his 32 in pass success rate... overrated and now overpaid...

I like Budda too, but this all day.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There will be some hand wringing on this and I think, as of today, everyone will agree that he is not the best S in the NFL so making him the highest paid is overpaying. That all said, this is a deal that had to get done. We have Kyler on a rookie deal. We have a window. We need to take advantage of it. He won't be the highest paid S for long and some of this is building consistency. This is the time where we shoot our shot...and this is what that looks like. Let's go.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
$22.1m guaranteed at signing. Assume the $33.1 is injury guarantee.

Everyone is right here. He is overrated but he is also very good on a team without a great deal of talent. And he's still very young. If he fixes his ball skills he could very well be elite.

The market sets the price. By the time guys like Derwin James, Jamal Adams and the like get paid it will seem cheap.

And what are we moaning about really? He was going to get $13m+ easily. So what's another $1.75m?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$22.1m guaranteed at signing. Assume the $33.1 is injury guarantee.

Everyone is right here. He is overrated but he is also very good on a team without a great deal of talent. And he's still very young. If he fixes his ball skills he could very well be elite.

The market sets the price. By the time guys like Derwin James, Jamal Adams and the like get paid it will seem cheap.

he’s not Going to Miraculously fix his ball skills... He’s been playing football since he was a child and then at division one and a pro for 3 fulll years... lol

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
how many game changing plays can you remember? Seriously? He’s now getting paid as though HE IS the Ed Reed of the NFL back there. Tackles? Lol
Anthony Harris
Justin Simmons
Malik Hooker all FAs next year.

Mathieu
M Fitzpatrick
H Smith
Derwin James
Peppers
K Jackson
J Adams

all FAs the year after.

Two years and this looks like a discount.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Wow...I guess he is a core piece of the defense moving forward but the guy is just not much of a playmaker yet he is getting paid like one.
I'm thinking with Murphy permanently in the slot and Simmons on the team, it will allow the Cards to use Baker more creatively and to his strengths.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anthony Harris
Justin Simmons
Malik Hooker all FAs next year.

Mathieu
M Fitzpatrick
H Smith
Derwin James
Peppers
K Jackson
J Adams

all FAs the year after.

Two years and this looks like a discount.

sorry Chopper there is nothing he could bring to the negotiation table saying he deserves to be the highest paid safety in football. Literally nothing. Again you don’t pay a safety game changing money when your not a game changer. He’s a nice piece and plays hard sure. But he’s not even close to a playmaking game changer. Based on his level of play and INTS and completion % against him he will still be overpaid even when others pass him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how many game changing plays can you remember? Seriously? He’s now getting paid as though HE IS the Ed Reed of the NFL back there. Tackles? Lol

As previously said, the market sets the price.

I'm trying to be excited about it because the Cardinals defense should be much improved. Hopefully this extension means he is part of the bigger plan for success.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'm thinking with Murphy permanently in the slot and Simmons on the team, it will allow the Cards to use Baker more creatively and to his strengths.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

His strengths seem to be his ability to tackle and ?? He obviously is a slightly above average starting safety in the NFL but nobody is going to confuse him with Mathieu in terms of ability to make a play.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
sorry Chopper there is nothing he could bring to the negotiation table saying he deserves to be the highest paid safety in football. Literally nothing. Again you don’t pay a safety game changing money when your not a game changer. He’s a nice piece and plays hard sure. But he’s not even close to a playmaking game changer. Based on his level of play and INTS and completion % against him he will still be overpaid even when others pass him.

Led the NFL in defeats for DBs, more than Jamal Adams.

Baker is blamed so much on this board that he is UNDERRATED by our fans. Pro Bowler. Voted to the NFLs 100 team. And as Chopper stated, now is the time to overpay because when Murray gets $40m per, the Cardinals are going to be in a much tougher position.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Led the NFL I'm defeats for DBs, more than Jamal Adams.

Baker is blamed so much on this board that he is UNDERRATED by our fans. Pro Bowler. Voted to the NFLs 100 team. And as Chopper stated, now is the time to overpay because when Murray gets $40m per, the Cardinals are going to be in a much tougher position.

You must be registered for see images attach

People get so blinded by one stat (INT) that they ignore everything else that Budda does.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
People get so blinded by one stat (INT) that they ignore everything else that Budda does.

Adrian Wilson made more plays in one season (2006) than Baker has in 3 (I am counting sacks, INTs and Forced Fumbles). Nobody is doubting he can tackle and rarely misses tackles but when you are paying a guy that much you expecting a guy to be a difference maker and he isn't. He is good player but nothing special.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you look at his overall grade and his run defense and tackling grades, it gives you a good idea what his pass coverage grade is like.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People get so blinded by one stat (INT) that they ignore everything else that Budda does.[/QUOTE
Adrian Wilson made more plays in one season (2006) than Baker has in 3 (I am counting sacks, INTs and Forced Fumbles). Nobody is doubting he can tackle and rarely misses tackles but when you are paying a guy that much you expecting a guy to be a difference maker and he isn't. He is good player but nothing special.

1000% zeros post.... We are literally paying this guy like he’s the best game changing safety in the league and he’s just not… Even when other safety’s pass himhe will be overpaid. He’s being paid as though he’s today’s Ed Reed.... it’s beyond laughable.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Question for those that think he is overpaid.

What do you think he should have been paid?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
1000% zeros post.... We are literally paying this guy like he’s the best game changing safety in the league and he’s just not… Even when other safety’s pass himhe will be overpaid. He’s being paid as though he’s today’s Ed Reed.... it’s beyond laughable.

Defeats can be game changing plays.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
He's the highest-paid until the next contract comes up for a quality Safety.

The "market" dictates the price.

He's getting paid like he's Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed when he doesn't hold a candle to those guys. This is well above market value given his production. Nothing about Budda says he's on track to have a HoF career, so it's hard to justify this contract value.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Highest paid safety today, 10th highest paid safety this time next year. cards probably saved money by paying him now honestly. He shows growth every year, I’m ok with this honestly. I was a little surprised to see this news, but I’m not mad at it at all