Breaston

Camshaft

Registered
Reaction score
If Breaston replaces Boldin this week, will he still do the punt and/or kickoff returns?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Thats a good point. With Boldin out, you have two options: Activate JJ to take over returns or activate Doucet to handle #4 receiver duties. Personally, Id llike to see Doucet out there to get a feel for what he can do. I think he can be better than Urban and perhaps better than Breaston.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Thought this fit here:

Breaston out to prove he’s more than kick returner

By BOB BAUM, AP Sports Writer

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP)—Steve Breaston speaks softly but carries a big grudge.
The speedster from Michigan has carved out a significant role as kick returner for the Arizona Cardinals. With Anquan Boldin probably out for Sunday’s game against the Buffalo Bills, Breaston moves into the starting lineup at wide receiver.

It’s his biggest opportunity yet to prove himself at the position he loves.
“It means a lot. I really feel that receiver is my primary position,” Breaston said after Thursday’s practice. “I just want to prove a lot of people wrong.”

Breaston was a fifth-round pick, the 142nd player drafted, in 2007. Everyone knew he was fast—he’s the Big Ten career leader in punt return yardage—but teams doubted that he could make it as a receiver.

As a rookie, he won the kick return job, and amassed a combined 1,786 return yards, fourth-most in franchise history. His 73-yard return for a touchdown against the Pittsburgh Steelers was the first by a Cardinals’ rookie since 1986.

His time as a receiver last season was scarce, though, since the Cardinals had Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald and Bryant Johnson ahead of him. Breaston caught eight passes for 92 yards.

Johnson left via free agency after last season, and the No. 3 receiver job was the most competitive fight of Arizona’s training camp. Breaston emerged the leader, and has made the most of his opportunities.
“He had a good spring. He had a good camp. He’s worked very hard,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said. “He was the guy that really stood out. It’s not surprising he carried it over.”

In last week’s 56-35 loss to the New York Jets, Breaston caught nine passes for 122 yards, both by far his career bests. Including kickoff and punt returns, his combined yardage of 324 was a franchise record.

“In the first half, I don’t know how many big opportunities he had. It seemed like they were kicking off all the time,” Fitzgerald said. “He just kept coming no matter what. Guys were hitting him in the mouth, he gets up and comes back and does the two-minute (drill). Steve has really come such a long way. I’m just happy for him.”

Breaston has watched the way Boldin and Fitzgerald, with two Pro Bowl appearances apiece, go about their job.
“Whenever you have a chance to play with Pro Bowl-caliber receivers, great athletes like that and look at their work ethic and what makes them the players they are,” he said, “you take things from each one of them. It makes their game a lot better.”

As for those who doubted him and passed him by on draft day, Breaston figures he’s only beginning to show them just how wrong they were.
“I do have a chip on my shoulder,” the soft-spoken receiver said, “just to go out there and try to be a receiver, and a good receiver. Like I said from day one last year, I just want to keep progressing, go forward, don’t go backward with my play.”

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice article!

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
In last week’s 56-35 loss to the New York Jets, Breaston caught nine passes for 122 yards, both by far his career bests. Including kickoff and punt returns, his combined yardage of 324 was a franchise record.

Was this mentioned before? Impressive.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

This is impressive considering the Cardinals had one of the best ever all-purpose guys in Terry Metcalf. Its depressing because it also meant the Jets were kicking off so much.

I'm pulling for Breaston to have a good game Sunday and for Anquan to get back in the lineup soon.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was this mentioned before? Impressive.

Surprising too I would have bet anything Terry Metcalf outdid that once or twice but apparently not.

Metcalf of course ran back KO's and punts and played RB he set the all purpose yardage record twice(14 game season) while a Cardinal.

Very impressive if Breaston outdid that.

Will be interesting to see him as the #2 this week he won't get a nickel CB ordinarily although if McKelvin starts he probably will get a nickel.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
All you Boldin lovers hoping that Breaston tears it up be careful....

His emergence the rest of this year makes Boldin expendable in the off-season.

I just don't see Wiz signing off on two recievers getting paid that much - especially when Breaston's speed compliments Fitz so well.....

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score

I just don't see Wiz signing off on two recievers getting paid that much - especially when Breaston's speed compliments Fitz so well.....

Agreed, Breaston emerging makes Boldin expendable. It's interesting, if we compare this WR core to the old Steeler core, Fitz is Burress, Boldin is Ward, and Breaston is sort of like Randel El.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

True but quite honestly he may play well Sunday withthe Bills injuries in their secondary but a big reason why he looks so good is that teams are so scared of Fitz and Q. If he has to play extended games without Q I expect he'll do the same thing Bryant Johnson always did, look a lot less impressive because he's not suddenly the third guy.

He's playing his butt off I think it's great but a big part of it is that teams are so worried about Q and Fitz.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
As bad as I would like Anquan to be a Cardinal forever, I want the young guys to make him expendable. I always want the young guys to be better than what we already have.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yea lets not get ahead of oursleves. Breatson has had one really good game and some ok other ones. The one game he "emerged" the team was trailing 34-0 and HAD to throw on every down. Hell Even Jerhamy Urban had a pretty good game.

Breaston hasent emerged to the point that he has proven he can replace anybody on this roster much less Anquan Boldin.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True but quite honestly he may play well Sunday withthe Bills injuries in their secondary but a big reason why he looks so good is that teams are so scared of Fitz and Q. If he has to play extended games without Q I expect he'll do the same thing Bryant Johnson always did, look a lot less impressive because he's not suddenly the third guy.

He's playing his butt off I think it's great but a big part of it is that teams are so worried about Q and Fitz.

Absolutely!

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea lets not get ahead of oursleves. Breatson has had one really good game and some ok other ones. The one game he "emerged" the team was trailing 34-0 and HAD to throw on every down. Hell Even Jerhamy Urban had a pretty good game.

Breaston hasent emerged to the point that he has proven he can replace anybody on this roster much less Anquan Boldin.

I agree with this. I do like the way Breaston has looked, however. I think he made a really nice catch in the 9er game.

I'm not sure what Doucet can contribute this week. Has he even played a down this year? I think I remember seeing him on the sideline once.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would like to see some Early, Breaston, Fitz sets if bold does or doesn't play. If he plays it would be cool to see 5 wide with Early, Breaston, Boldin, Fitz, Pope and pressure that Buffalo D to cover!

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

Oh agreed - but I think if he plays well if Boldin is out a couple weeks and rides that confidence the rest of the season - Boldin getting shipped ofr picks is a fait accompli.

Hows this for an out there prediction - I actually think the play of Doucet is ultimately what is going to make Quan expendable.....

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Agreed, Breaston emerging makes Boldin expendable.

No way IMO. That is like saying that Matt Cassel throwing a few TDs will make Tom Brady expendable. We cant sign Boldin to Fitz's deal and stay competive on the other 52 roster spots, plain and simple. That doesn't mean that Boldin is expendable, it just means we cant afford to keep him.

DoTheDew said:
It's interesting, if we compare this WR core to the old Steeler core, Fitz is Burress, Boldin is Ward, and Breaston is sort of like Randel El.
Funny though, when given the choice, the Steelers chose to keep the more multi-dimensional Ward and let Plexiglass go. We have done the opposite.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh agreed - but I think if he plays well if Boldin is out a couple weeks and rides that confidence the rest of the season - Boldin getting shipped ofr picks is a fait accompli.

Hows this for an out there prediction - I actually think the play of Doucet is ultimately what is going to make Quan expendable.....
I think Doucet will be very much like Boldin too.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny though, when given the choice, the Steelers chose to keep the more multi-dimensional Ward and let Plexiglass go. We have done the opposite.

unfortunately, we have a situation where our multi-dimensional guy is just as injury prone as Plexiglass while our guy with Plax like talent not only gets the most out of that talent, but he's not constantly injured.

the situations may look the same, but Fitz is the rich/healthy man's version of Plex while Boldin is the rich/injury prone version of Ward.

OP
OP
C

Camshaft

Registered
Reaction score
Back to the the thread's question

Getting back to the thread's original question, is Breaston, the starter, still going to do punts and/or kickoff returns?

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
unfortunately, we have a situation where our multi-dimensional guy is just as injury prone as Plexiglass while our guy with Plax like talent not only gets the most out of that talent, but he's not constantly injured.

the situations may look the same, but Fitz is the rich/healthy man's version of Plex while Boldin is the rich/injury prone version of Ward.
Great point. Although, I cant remember the last time Fitz played 16 games either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson