10 thoughts - Seahawks game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – Masterful illustration on how to not execute a fake punt. Effectively ruled out any realistic hope of a comeback.

2 – The overall defense will not get better until the D-line gets better. It all starts up front, and none from the current unit should be more than backups.

3 – Joey Blount and Bobby Price major standouts on special teams for the second week in a row.

4 – First bad, bad game from Paris Johnson.

5 – Both the eye test and the data analysis show that Trey McBride continues to step up.

6 – Hard to say if Marco Wilson or Starling Thomas was the worst everydown CB out there.

7 – Drew Petzing called a good game, but apparently he cannot do magic.

8 – Despite very limited snaps, Garrett Williams was the best DB on the team this game. Encouraging for the future.

9 – Hjalte Froholdt easily the best center since Lyle Sendlein.

(And no, I am not at all patriotic enough to care about that he is from my country.)

10 – Hollywood Brown doesn’t bring nearly enough to the offense.

But Ossenfort will not sell him at the trade deadline, only because he wants to get the best possible evaluation of Murray. #Nostradamus

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree with most of your post. Petzing does a good job but his inexperience shows up at times. Hopefully he learns and grows as the season progresses.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6 – Hard to say if Marco Wilson or Starling Thomas was the worst everydown CB out there.
I definitely thought it was Wilson. Especially due to the fact he is supposed to be our CB1.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
1 – Masterful illustration on how to not execute a fake punt. Effectively ruled out any realistic hope of a comeback.
That play sucked.
2 – The overall defense will not get better until the D-line gets better. It all starts up front, and none from the current unit should be more than backups.
DLs are built on the contributions of more than a few guys. Kevin Strong is a solid back up, rotation guy. Ledbetter has looked good at times. But other than that, this DL right now is a trainwreck. Watching Fotu getting blown 3 yards off the ball on most running plays is a big reason this defense is bad.
3 – Joey Blount and Bobby Price major standouts on special teams for the second week in a row.
Agreed, but I would love seeing more enthusiasm on return plays. When was the last time the Cardinals had a dangerous return game? Mar Tay Jenkins?
Seattle threw a lot at him and he had to deal with a super quick guy in Mafe.
5 – Both the eye test and the data analysis show that Trey McBride continues to step up.
It's stunning how much more McBride does when he gets the ball. Dare I say, I'd like to see the team draw up plays to actually get him the ball.
Starling was okay considering the circumstances (UDFA playing big minutes). I'm done with Wilson.
Hard to overcome a QB who won't let the ball rip.
8 – Despite very limited snaps, Garrett Williams was the best DB on the team this game. Encouraging for the future.
I'm excited about his potential.
Agree. Not saying Froholdt is great, but he's been way better than many thought he'd be.
(And no, I am not at all patriotic enough to care about that he is from my country.)

10 – Hollywood Brown doesn’t bring nearly enough to the offense
Disagree sort of. Brown is a good NFL receiver, but he isn't a true #1.
But Ossenfort will not sell him at the trade deadline, only because he wants to get the best possible evaluation of Murray. #Nostradamus
I doubt that Monti can get the value back that he gives the offense

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That play sucked.

DLs are built on the contributions of more than a few guys. Kevin Strong is a solid back up, rotation guy. Ledbetter has looked good at times. But other than that, this DL right now is a trainwreck. Watching Fotu getting blown 3 yards off the ball on most running plays is a big reason this defense is bad.

Agreed, but I would love seeing more enthusiasm on return plays. When was the last time the Cardinals had a dangerous return game? Mar Tay Jenkins?

It's stunning how much more McBride does when he gets the ball. Dare I say, I'd like to see the team draw up plays to actually get him the ball.

Starling was okay considering the circumstances (UDFA playing big minutes). I'm done with Wilson.

Agree. Not saying Froholdt is great, but he's been way better than many thought he'd be.

well done

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
For his first NFL start, I thought Starling Thomas was more than adequate. He had a big time tackle for no gain on a swing pass early in the game and made a couple of other pass break ups during the game. He had really good coverage on the TD pass to Bobo, but Bobo just made an outstanding catch on the sideline of the endzone.

In my opinion, he showed enough to merit more playing time.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I definitely thought it was Wilson. Especially due to the fact he is supposed to be our CB1.
The kid is in a position that he didn’t ask for. He’s NOT a CB1, and really never was. I still hold out hope that he’ll have at least some role, albeit a smaller one than what he’s currently being tasked to.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The kid is in a position that he didn’t ask for. He’s NOT a CB1, and really never was. I still hold out hope that he’ll have at least some role, albeit a smaller one than what he’s currently being tasked to.
My issue with him? He has no clue where the ball is. I agree he was never a cb1 prospect from day 1.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That play sucked.

Good points by both of you. I don’t think that Johnson played a “bad, bad game”. That Seattle DL is a very underrated bunch, and we still had success running to his side. What killed us was Humphries get ejected in the 1st quarter. Beachum is a bum & got abused most of the day. What‘s holding McBride back is the fact that he gets a series ending, back breaking holding penalty pretty much every game. You could see in JG’s grimace that he was pissed after his hold eliminated a 15 yard gain by Moore on the sideline. And Trey was visibly upset too. And what can we say about Dobbs. Love his heart, effort, and ability to run. But, the dude has accuracy issues that he’ll never quite recover from. We won’t win another game that he starts, but for now, that’s Ok with me. I don’t want to see our 5th round rookie QB thrown around like a rag doll against Baltimore & Cleveland, because that’s exactly what would happen.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Good points by both of you. I don’t think that Johnson played a “bad, bad game”. That Seattle DL is a very underrated bunch, and we still had success running to his side. What killed us was Humphries get ejected in the 1st quarter. Beachum is a bum & got abused most of the day.
Seattle sent pressure constantly and because Dobbs couldn't make them pay even a little bit, they kept coming. Even good linemen will struggle against that.
What‘s holding McBride back is the fact that he gets a series ending, back breaking holding penalty pretty much every game.
Jonathan Vilma made a comment when Beachum was called for holding that it was a good, savvy veteran play. Sometimes in football you have to hold because you know that your might get hit. And the difference between a good block and a hold aren't that large. My point is that penalties like that are going to happen in football here and there.
You could see in JG’s grimace that he was pissed after his hold eliminated a 15 yard gain by Moore on the sideline. And Trey was visibly upset too.
I think you have to play McBride anyway.
And what can we say about Dobbs. Love his heart, effort, and ability to run. But, the dude has accuracy issues that he’ll never quite recover from. We won’t win another game that he starts, but for now, that’s Ok with me. I don’t want to see our 5th round rookie QB thrown around like a rag doll against Baltimore & Cleveland, because that’s exactly what would happen.
Exactly. I think Tune would likely be significantly worse than what we are seeing with Dobbs. Just like most backup QBs, Dobbs is a limited player, and that's OK because the Cardinals aren't competing right now.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know. Doesn't mean that's what he is right now.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Interestingly, Krang, of all the offense-players in the NFL, McBride is the one that defenders give the least cushion before the ball is snapped (okay, truthfully he is number two on the list, but you know…), and he is still in the top 40 of players gaining the most separation at the catch point.

According the NextGen Stats, he is in the top 10 among players with the highest average of yards after the catch per reception, which also puts him in the top 10 among players with the biggest difference between YAC and Expected YAC according to their model (expected YAC are calculated by using numerous tracking data). In other words, he gains a lot more yards than can be expected.

Both in week 5 and week 7 he was in the top 20 in yards after contact per receptions among all tight ends.

So the data backs up your eyes. :)

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

10 – Hollywood Brown doesn’t bring nearly enough to the offense.

Couldn’t disagree more in Hollywood Brown dude is constantly getting open but Dobbs sucks and can’t hit him! Hopefully he stays healthy for Kyler to have a weapon and Kyler will find Wilson as well I believe. Dobbs is just so inaccurate it’s totally unfair to knock Brown imo!

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Couldn’t disagree more in Hollywood Brown dude is constantly getting open but Dobbs sucks and can’t hit him! Hopefully he stays healthy for Kyler to have a weapon and Kyler will find Wilson as well I believe. Dobbs is just so inaccurate it’s totally unfair to knock Brown imo!
The analytic shows that Brown is in the bottom of WR in terms of gaining seperation from defenders. And just this game he had two huge drops (though one was annulled by a penalty).

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The analytic shows that Brown is in the bottom of WR in terms of gaining seperation from defenders. And just this game he had two huge drops (though one was annulled by a penalty).
Don’t care what analytics say, I believe my eyes seeing Hollywood get open constantly and Dobbs either not seeing him or throwing uncatchable balls on some of which would have been easy TDs!