Birds of a Different Color in Free Agency?

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
If the Cardinals are going to be one of the winners in free agency---they are going to have to amend their anachronistic, passive aggressive ways.

Right from the start, being winners in free agency may be a moot point, because, as we have heard, the Cardinals fashion themselves in the Steeler "Build Through the Draft" mold.

However---seeing as the tenders on 5th and 6th year free agents will be lifted---and the Cardinals have some important starting positions to fill---being a winner in free agency would seem imperative if the Cardinals are planning to wrest the NFC West title back from the Seahawks.

So what needs to change? And why?

1. Re-signing their own.

The Cardinals' passive aggressive policy of letting the market determine what their own free agents are worth has backfired on them in recent years---and this time they will have 72 hours to try to make the type of offers to the likes of WR Steve Breaston, C Lyle Sendlein, G Deuce Lutui, DE Alan Branch, NT Gabe Watson and CB Michael Adams that would satisfy them enough to eschew testing the market.

Now---understandably---first time unrestricted free agents such as the 6 Cardinals mentioned above---are very curious as to what their own market value is. And as Karlos Dansby showed us, some players just want to "feel the love" from someone.

I would say that of the 6 UFA's mentioned---the two that I would expect the Cardinals have the best chance to re-sign within the 72 hour window are C Lyle Sendlein and CB Michael Adams. Here are two players who seem to bleed Cardinal red---and are players who remain thankful to the Cardinals for signing them as undrafted college free agents, and then, for giving them the chance to become major contributors.

Of the bunch, Steve Breaston may get the most interest. Breaston strikes me as a loyal player---and if the Cardinals make him a good offer, he will re-sign. If they low ball him---he will run as fast as his feet will carry him into the arms of Todd Haley in Kansas City.

Deuce Lutui will likely be the second most highly coveted player on this list---and if he remains upset with the Cardinals for not working out an extension for him last year---then he will bolt, most likely to the Seahawks. Yet---Deuce is a local product---and so, if the Cardinals match any offer he receives, Deuce may opt to stay.

As for Branch and Watson---Branch was comfortable being a backup and was finally showing his promise last season. The question now is, is he still fine with being a backup? He's not going to get starter's money from the Cardinals---but, I think the Cardinals will offer him a lucrative backup's salary, to the tune of $2-3 M a year. The depth at DE is paper thin---and Branch is now a good rotation player. If he elects to leave, i could see him signing an incentive laden deal with the Washington Redskins.

If Watson has made the most of the layoff and is in good shape and his knee is solid as ever---re-signing him would make a lot sense, unless the team once again feels that Bryan Robinson is an NFL caliber NT.

I am going to take a hunch here but for some reason I think the Cardinals will make TE Ben Patrick an offer to return. Patrick has the talent---albeit still unrealized, but, the TE depth is weak and the free agent market for TEs isn't that deep.

Matt Ware anyone? What a strange year he had last year---he seemed to be ready to sign elsewhere last off-season, decided at the last minute not to, re-signed with Cardinals, got dinged up, and watched most of the games from the sidelines.

2. Signing Unrestricted Free Agents.

The Cardinals in this area of football operations have been like Motel 6---if you are an UFA, they will "leave the light on for you"---have you check in, come for a set of customary interviews, and then have you leave in plenty of time to check out.

What typically ensues is a 3-4 day discussion/evaluation period by the Cardinal braintrust---and if the UFA is still on the market, an offer could be faxed to an agent.

If the Cardinals think they can conduct business as usual this way this year---they will get shut out of the market.

We will know very readily if the Cardinals spent the time during the layoff wisely, as in finally doing the free agent preparation and evaluations before a scheduled visit.

While the Packers and other aggressive organizations have been working surreptitiously to secure some handshake deals---one would not expect the Cardinals to be aggressive or organized enough to have done the same.

What we likely can expect is a handful of signings that basically fall into the Cardinals' laps---and yes---that means an other potential trio of ex-Steelers---this time in CB Ike Taylor (whether the team trades DRC or not---Taylor is Horton's and Townsend's boy and he is coming with the package), T Willie Colon (who will say he loves Russ Grimm) and DT/DE Nick Eason (who will be paid more than his market value---but will bring much needed DT/DE depth).

The other fall into the lap signing will be G Reggie Wells. The Cardinals will laugh that they rented him out for a year while they played Alan Faneca---and that they got a 6th rounder in DE David Carter in return. Wells will be happy to be back in the saddle as the starting LG---that is, if he doesn't get beat out by Rex Hadnot.

The Cardinals say that they will be going hot and heavy after some guards---but it would be surprising if they are even in the conversation about the real good ones in Carl Nicks (Saints), Davin Joseph (Bucs), Marshal Yanda (Ravens) or Harvey Dahl (Falcons). But--hey---you never know---especially if the Cardinals start throwing some major green at a guy like Joseph or Dahl.

One would think that the top priority other than QB is adding an edge pass rusher---but for some reason the Cardinals---even though they might release Joey Porter, the only proven edge rusher on the roster---won't bust a move on a good one like Mathias Kiwanuka (Giants), Ray Edwards (Vikings) or Charles Johnson (Panthers). That is---unless Ray Horton has been making a passionate plea that is actually being listened to.

My one wild card? If the team has decided to let Steve Breaston hit the market---keep an eye on Steve Smith (Giants), one of the best possession WRs in the NFL---a guy who is capable of catching over 100 passes a season with relative ease.

If it's one thing the Cardinals know---it's the WRs.

And I think they may very well surprise us once again by making one of their few major moves in that area.

An inside LB would make a great deal of sense---but---I don't sense the Cardinals see any urgency there as they seem to be happy with the tandem of Daryl Washington and Paris Lenon. There's much to happy about in terms of Washington's talent---but the question is, wouldn't it make better sense to play Washington at WILB and sign a real hit-the snot-out of-you SILB?

I have privately be hoping for Takeo Spikes (49ers)---sure he's 34---but he played like his pants were on fire the last two years---and there appears to be plenty of gas left in his tank.

Stephen Tulloch (Ttians) or Nick Barnett (Packers) would be instant upgrades over Lenon (who works hard---but is not a take you head on type LB).

Another versatile LB I would love to see the Cardinals go after is Ben Leber (Vikings)---this guy is super smart and productive.

3. Undrafted College Free Agents.

Man---the Cardinals have been excellent in this area under normal circumstances. there probably has been a lot of sneaky jockeying amongst teams and agents for the best undrafted players.

My Wish List:

S Joe Lefeged, Rutgers
WR Darvin Adams, Auburn
NT Ian Williams, Notre Dame
OLB Mark Herzlich, BC
ILB Nick Bellore, Central Michigan
ILB Mario Harvey, Marshall
G Zach Hurd, Connecticut
T Willie Smith, East Carolina
C Alex Linnenkohl, Oregon St
G Ricky Henry, Nebraska
T Ray Dominguez, Arkansas
TE Joe Torchia, Virginia
TE Steven Skelton, Fordham
RB Derrick Locke, Kentucky

Hopefully the Cardinals have indicated to certain players that they will up the ante on them during signing period---this has worked on draft days. The Cardinal'' college scouting staff and the FO deserve much credit for this aspect of their business.

4. Trades.

This factors in because with everything else happening all at once the Cardinals will have to be prepared to move quickly if their trade offers for a starting QB are rejected.

5. Re-signing WR Larry Fitzgerald.

Can the Cardinals afford to work on this while they have to manage the furious aspects of trades and free agency?

If the Cardinals get out-hustled and out-worked by the other teams---to placate the fans---they will say they were focussing on re-signing Larry Fitzgerald.

The point is this: get the other ducks in a row first---then turn the attention to Fitz...because the ducks...well, let's just say they will be flying fast and furiously all over the USA in what is bound to be the most super charged free agency period in the history of the NFL.

So, what are your hopes?...as what do you think we can expect?

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My hope:

Lutui, Sendelein, Breaston, Adams, and Branch are all brought back in that order.

The RB situation is clarified via trade.

Fitzgerald signs an extension.

QB is acquired without surrendering a #1 draft pick or a starter.

Herzlich is brought in as a UDFA

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Only thing I think I think, Breaston is not offered a deal what so ever. Not in their plans at all IMO.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Good write up Mitch. I have no faith in this front office signing anyone of significance other than a few Steelers & making the trade for a QB.

1) Deuce, Breaston & Branch will be gone. Breastons knees take him out of the mix IMO

2) Trying to acquire a QB will take up signinficant days as FA starts.

3) Fitz will not be extended until sometime during the season & maybe not even then if the QB underperforms.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
My hope:

Lutui, Sendelein, Breaston, Adams, and Branch are all brought back in that order.

Right on---every point---right on, Chris! :rockon:

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Only thing I think I think, Breaston is not offered a deal what so ever. Not in their plans at all IMO.

I agree with you, Joe...yet knowing the Cardinals, in order to placate the fans and save face, they will offer him a contract---but---it won't be what Stevie is looking for.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I agree with you, Joe...yet knowing the Cardinals, in order to placate the fans and save face, they will offer him a contract---but---it won't be what Stevie is looking for.

Lets be clear I think they really like the guy. But as Bucky points out, that knee injury is freaking them out. Just how long it lingered. They have plenty of guys that can return kicks as well so that part of his game as a back-up is no longer appealing to them as well. I also think they really like Roberts a lot, the crap he was getting by fans and coaches with his first half of the season play would just be so unbareable for most players but he worked through it to become a legit #2/#3 option by the end of the season. That really showed something to the coaches.

I think they still look for another guy though to fill out the top 5. Someone such as maybe Laurent Robinson from the Rams catches my eye. A young fast guy who hasnt been able to put it all together for one reason or another.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Lets be clear I think they really like the guy. But as Bucky points out, that knee injury is freaking them out. Just how long it lingered. They have plenty of guys that can return kicks as well so that part of his game as a back-up is no longer appealing to them as well. I also think they really like Roberts a lot, the crap he was getting by fans and coaches with his first half of the season play would just be so unbareable for most players but he worked through it to become a legit #2/#3 option by the end of the season. That really showed something to the coaches.

I think they still look for another guy though to fill out the top 5. Someone such as maybe Laurent Robinson from the Rams catches my eye. A young fast guy who hasnt been able to put it all together for one reason or another.

I think you are correct on all counts---especially the Roberts one. This is the Steeler Way---draft to replace.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Besides WR - Laurent Robinson a few other guys that wont break the bank catch my eye.

Thanks to profootballfocus for the first one -

OLB - Antwan Barnes - San Diego - "He was the sixth most productive pass rusher in the whole of the NFL with 32 quarterback disruptions on just 202 roles. Maybe he can’t translate to an every down end, but he could star in sub packages."

TE - Robert Royal - Browns - Hillis made a living running to this guys side of the field.

OG - Mike Brisiel - Texans - There will be a lot of talk and there should be about the other OG in this free agency class which is freaking awesome by the way, but dont sleep on this guy. Reason for Arian Fosters emergence coincide with this guys emergence. Foster ran over 7 yards a carry running behind this guy at RG. May not be the style or technique our OL coach looks for though at RG but may fit really well at LG.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Besides WR - Laurent Robinson a few other guys that wont break the bank catch my eye.

Thanks to profootballfocus for the first one -

OLB - Antwan Barnes - San Diego - "He was the sixth most productive pass rusher in the whole of the NFL with 32 quarterback disruptions on just 202 roles. Maybe he can’t translate to an every down end, but he could star in sub packages."

TE - Robert Royal - Browns - Hillis made a living running to this guys side of the field.

OG - Mike Brisiel - Texans - There will be a lot of talk and there should be about the other OG in this free agency class which is freaking awesome by the way, but dont sleep on this guy. Reason for Arian Fosters emergence coincide with this guys emergence. Foster ran over 7 yards a carry running behind this guy at RG. May not be the style or technique our OL coach looks for though at RG but may fit really well at LG.

What, Joe, you actually want to run the ball this year?:D

I'd be delirious to have those three. Great post.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
My hope:

I hope for this too.

I am expecting alot of undrafted free agent signings and that's about it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

that disgusts me. the guy has been productive when on the field and played injured last year (even though he was in a contract year) because the team desperately needed him because all they left themselves at the position with nothing but raw rookies and undrafted FAs. If a guy like Breaston doesn't get any love from this team, who the hell does?

you can't just sign your "superstar" players and then let EVERYONE else walk. Hell, this team has a hard enough time just getting their superstars?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets be clear I think they really like the guy. But as Bucky points out, that knee injury is freaking them out. Just how long it lingered.

they have no one to blame there but themselves. by all accounts, the guy came back because the team had Ouchie and Krang lining up opposite Fitz and they desperately needed him back... and surprise surprise... his injury lingers!

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they have no one to blame there but themselves. by all accounts, the guy came back because the team had Ouchie and Krang lining up opposite Fitz and they desperately needed him back... and surprise surprise... his injury lingers!

So are you trying to say Ouchie and Krang are duds?;)

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
that disgusts me. the guy has been productive when on the field and played injured last year (even though he was in a contract year) because the team desperately needed him because all they left themselves at the position with nothing but raw rookies and undrafted FAs. If a guy like Breaston doesn't get any love from this team, who the hell does?

you can't just sign your "superstar" players and then let EVERYONE else walk. Hell, this team has a hard enough time just getting their superstars?

First I could be completely wrong, the Cards did in fact place the highest round tender offer on him before the lockout and teams still thought they may be able to give RFA tenders to players with less then 6 years experience.

They didn't force Breaston to do anything, Breaston thought he was healthy and gave it go. If they did force him Breaston has a legit injury claim to make to the NFLPA.

The let him sit out practices, and even made him #4 WR on the depth charts in December.

This is not Breastons first knee issue, this is in fact his second year in a row he has had an issue with the same knee I believe. It would be disgusting for a team to be leery of giving a guy a contract who may have a knee issue?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
What, Joe, you actually want to run the ball this year?:D

I'd be delirious to have those three. Great post.

Not really how I planned it, just worked out that way.

Was looking for a blocker to go with the receiving TE Housler, and Dray who is a jack of all trades master of none. Just looked for a blocker to round things out.

And looking at a zone blocking RG who might fit in as a pulling LG in a power scheme.

All I know is there is going to be 500 free agents. Almost double the usual amounts, there are going to be players signed that people had no idea were even available.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Considering we have the 4th lowest cap total and we will now be forced to meet a cap basement, we will definitely be doing one of two things, or a combination of them: making a huge splash, or grossly overpaying some players.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thanks to Mitch (who did the heavy lifting) and everyone else for a great thread. My only concern about Deuce is his weight. He can't go into TC weighing close to 400 lbs., and maybe that concern is behind the strategy to go hard after guards. The good news, as Stout pointed out, is that we have to spend a lot of money to reach the "floor", so we'll have to sign/resign a lot of guys.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Considering we have the 4th lowest cap total and we will now be forced to meet a cap basement, we will definitely be doing one of two things, or a combination of them: making a huge splash, or grossly overpaying some players.

I went over this in some detail in another thread, but we don't have as much cap space as you think we do, especially when you consider how few players (especially starters) that we have under contract.

There are lots of teams with lots of cap room; I'm not sure what kind of splash people are hoping/expecting the Cardinals to make.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Thanks to Mitch (who did the heavy lifting) and everyone else for a great thread. My only concern about Deuce is his weight. He can't go into TC weighing close to 400 lbs., and maybe that concern is behind the strategy to go hard after guards. The good news, as Stout pointed out, is that we have to spend a lot of money to reach the "floor", so we'll have to sign/resign a lot of guys.

Why? He played effectively in the preseason at that weight--he was our best OL during the entire preseason. It's embarrassing to the coaching staff to have him show up at that weight and be better, but I understand Lutui saying, "If you want me to show up in the shape you want, then give me a contract. But I'm not going to work my butt off all offseason to have you underpay me when I should be in a contract year."

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I went over this in some detail in another thread, but we don't have as much cap space as you think we do, especially when you consider how few players (especially starters) that we have under contract.

There are lots of teams with lots of cap room; I'm not sure what kind of splash people are hoping/expecting the Cardinals to make.

But that feeds right into the point--we have so few players on our roster that we will have no choice but to spend--and spend a LOT--in FA. We have to fill the roster and meet the cap basement, so we will have to spend it. We will not be able to do what we did last year and save money.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
But that feeds right into the point--we have so few players on our roster that we will have no choice but to spend--and spend a LOT--in FA. We have to fill the roster and meet the cap basement, so we will have to spend it. We will not be able to do what we did last year and save money.

That's true, but do you spend 70% of your cap room on two or MAYBE three players and the rest on UDCFA's (many of whom will make the roster?), or do you spread it around and make sure you (1) take care of your own--meaning Lutui, Sendlin, and maybe Branch--and (2) get solid but not headline-making players at more positions.

Here's where I put it together, in a thread that I thought was good until THESMEL showed up and put the kibosh on it.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A word of caution...

Beware the Pokeman effect.

(i.e. trading DRC for Kolb might solve our problem at QB but make another problem pop up in in our secondary (where modern day offenses necessitate more than 2 good corners).

If we decide to give up a good player as part of the Kolb trade, it might make more sense to zero in on WR where we appear have a surplus. Philly is in the market for a tall WR to compliment Jackson. If we can re-sign Breaston, we'd have stockpiled: Doucet, Roberts, Komar and (the tall guy) Steve Williams (plus another tall Williams we picked up in free agency and Sampson who's 6-3 or 4).

So...how about a #2 plus Steve Williams to Philly in exchange for Kolb?

Regarding free agency, I see "the engines running" as early as 9 am Monday, with each team pursuing four priorities:

1. Re-Sign Core Players.

2. High Profile Trades and FA Pickups

3. UDFA Pickups

4. Journeyman Pickups to Fill in an Expanded (90-man) Roster.

Depending on each team's priorities, all four objectives figure to be pursued concurrently and not sequentially (due to lack of time). Depending on how buttoned up each team's FO, lawyers, medical/training staff etc. are - the next 3 weeks figure to be a total zoo (& a lot of fun for us fans).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard