Bilal Nichols welcome to the SONORAN Desert

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Flip that. I don't feel Newton has the market people think he does. Also, I don't know if I prefer Newton over Sweat or Kris Jenkins.
I've heard on a podcast or two that NFL people like Johnny Newton less than fans do.

I don't know how to feel about Jenkins. He wasn't super productive despite having good tools. And he's small too.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I've heard on a podcast or two that NFL people like Johnny Newton less than fans do.

I don't know how to feel about Jenkins. He wasn't super productive despite having good tools. And he's small too.
I really like Jenkins length. 6'3 and 34' arms is great. He probably will need to continue to bulk but I think he is a nice 5T or 3T who can develop into a nice pass rusher. His testing numbers weren't far off Murphy's and his size is larger than Fiske and Newton. I just think Jenkins is a guy who can continue to develop at the NFL level.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I really like Jenkins length. 6'3 and 34' arms is great. He probably will need to continue to bulk but I think he is a nice 5T or 3T who can develop into a nice pass rusher. His testing numbers weren't far off Murphy's and his size is larger than Fiske and Newton. I just think Jenkins is a guy who can continue to develop at the NFL level.
My problem is that he just wasn't productive. Only 4.5 TFLs and 2.5 sacks for a guy of his profile is a bit alarming.

I would bet on his traits because I don't believe that player development is a linear process at all.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My problem is that he just wasn't productive. Only 4.5 TFLs and 2.5 sacks for a guy of his profile is a bit alarming.

I would bet on his traits because I don't believe that player development is a linear process at all.
Michigan was a weird defense this year. No player had more than 6.5 sacks and that guy might go undrafted. I kinda wonder if their rotation of players because there was so much talent on the defense suppressed stats for the group.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
lol no. Not at all.

You said GOOD, CHEAP young players. These are all guys who are solid but mid guys that are important to the roster but likely are what they are now. Not sure if guys pushing 28 count as young in NFL terms either. All these guys are on 3rd deals.

The guy with the most upside is SMB if he can find the form of a few years ago.

:biglaugh:
Right, the boilerplate "I'm never wrong/if I was wrong it's your fault for explaining it wrong" baloney reply. He's not old, you and others are saying he's good, and that these are good signings. If we had deals like this in place--a few of them--from last year, we wouldn't have had so many gaping holes and could have added a Big John, or could have (still) not had way more holes than we have a chance to fill in the upcoming draft.

I wasn't asking us to sign Big Johns last FA period. But yeah, keep moving the goal posts, @BritCard.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trying to think of a comparison with recent Cardinals for this move and the best I can come up with is Corey Peters. Although Nichols offers more on passing down as he averages around twice as many QB Hits and pressures as Peters.

Similar age when signed. Similar type of big run stopping DT thats will get you 2-4 sacks a year. Similar kind of money adjusted for salary cap increase.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Eh Chop had more pressures in one season than Jenkins had in two seasons.

I like Chop’s upside but he’s a reach at 27. Without addressing EDGE in FA teams would probably know he’s our guy at 35 if it’s OT at 27. Those positions could be flip/flopped if one of the edge’s expected in the top-20 falls.

How far could we move up from #27 using our first 3rd rounder?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Easily taking Newton over Sweat. Sweat is TOO big to be a successful NFL player.
I actually did not recognize that he was such an outlier in terms of size. I did think there were more 360 defensive tackles than there are. A lot of players I thought were 355 are listed 345. I am not sure I am ready to say he is too big to be successful, but it does warrant further consideration.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I actually did not recognize that he was such an outlier in terms of size. I did think there were more 360 defensive tackles than there are. A lot of players I thought were 355 are listed 345. I am not sure I am ready to say he is too big to be successful, but it does warrant further consideration.
hes one of those guys that teams take and the first thing they tell him is to get down to 335 or something

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
I don't think that Sweat has the DNA that Monti and Gannon are looking for in a player. Someone who is 20 lbs. over weight and would be a much better player at the lighter weight, but doesn't/can't discipline himself is not the guy they want. In Gannon's words, its not winning behavior.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I like Chop’s upside but he’s a reach at 27. Without addressing EDGE in FA teams would probably know he’s our guy at 35 if it’s OT at 27. Those positions could be flip/flopped if one of the edge’s expected in the top-20 falls.

How far could we move up from #27 using our first 3rd rounder?

given the premium put on the position and the fact he ticks every athletic box you would want

I dont think its a reach at 27 and I could see him going earlier -- some D Line coach will tell his GM that he can 100% deliver the potential there

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't think that Sweat has the DNA that Monti and Gannon are looking for in a player. Someone who is 20 lbs. over weight and would be a much better player at the lighter weight, but doesn't/can't discipline himself is not the guy they want. In Gannon's words, its not winning behavior.
I don't believe he is overweight per se. I think he is an uncommonly large human whose weight wasn't a focus in college. Who knows if he can drop weight and if he is willing to do what that would take. My guess is any team would have that convo during the process.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't believe he is overweight per se. I think he is an uncommonly large human whose weight wasn't a focus in college. Who knows if he can drop weight and if he is willing to do what that would take. My guess is any team would have that convo during the process.
Didn't he successfully drop weight to make the combine? If he's listed as large in college, he probably got way above that in the postseason. Cutting down would be pretty good.

Maybe he's even slimmer at his pro day. This is where scouts and franchise internals have an edge on message board yahoos.

I don't get people who want to take character shots at 22 year-olds on the internet based on almost nothing.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

A guy that size can easily shed 20 lbs in an NFL offseason.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Didn't he successfully drop weight to make the combine? If he's listed as large in college, he probably got way above that in the postseason. Cutting down would be pretty good.

Maybe he's even slimmer at his pro day. This is where scouts and franchise internals have an edge on message board yahoos.

I don't get people who want to take character shots at 22 year-olds on the internet based on almost nothing.

No he said he played at 366 last year and turned up at 366.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score

Where's the character shot? I would bet that every scout or coach that's seen Sweat wishes that he'd lose weight. Lots of guys have the physical ability to be NFL players, but deny themselves the opportunity due to their weight.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where's the character shot? I would bet that every scout or coach that's seen Sweat wishes that he'd lose weight. Lots of guys have the physical ability to be NFL players, but deny themselves the opportunity due to their weight.

With Sweat it’s not like he is just a big space eater. The kid is still athletic and can collapse the pocket with his size and strength.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson