ASU vs Stanford

Zimmerman

Reaction score
Anyone planning on going to the ASU game at 7 today?

Any predictions?

I'm sure, ASU will be 5-0 after this game.:thumbup:

ASU: 35

Stanford: 10

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Game's in Palo Alto, so anyone here going to game -- I'm jealous.

I hate that giant receiver Stanford has, Evan Moore. He goes about 6-7. It's an unfair advantage on the tiny Pac-10 QBs.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Juan Roake (sp) is absolutely horrible as an announcer.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

Yeah SD sucks.

I'm thinking Stanford is in for a very long night.

Yeah. Oh, well. At least ASU is playing well (halftime now). :thumbup:

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Can I just point out how bad Rudy Carpenter actually is...

He holds the ball way to damn long, he misses the easiest passes in the world, and hes a deuche bag....

This game should be 45-3...

ridiculous...

It is also important to point out if we are this bad at redzone offense in the coming weeks, we may not be a .500 by the end of the year...

This is by far the most maddening 27-3 game I've seen this year.. lol

go devils!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I just point out how bad Rudy Carpenter actually is...

He holds the ball way to damn long, he misses the easiest passes in the world, and hes a deuche bag....

This game should be 45-3...

ridiculous...

It is also important to point out if we are this bad at redzone offense in the coming weeks, we may not be a .500 by the end of the year...

This is by far the most maddening 27-3 game I've seen this year.. lol

go devils!

Think back to the last time we played there and how we got our asses handed to us.

Don't you feel better now? :)

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Think back to the last time we played there and how we got our asses handed to us.

Don't you feel better now? :)

I feel a lot better about 41-3 than 27-3 with Stanford driving.... lol funnny how that works..

good point...

go devils!

btw.. why is T.C. still playing?

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stomped them! Somewhere, Gaddabout is still telling anybody who will listen that Stanford is as athletically talented as ASU.

Go Devils!

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Not overly impressive, but a blowout win is a blowout win. :) The offensive line really has some improving to do. They have two weeks. They did not give Carpenter much time at all and being stopped three times inside the 5 yard line was embarrassing. I expected better out of the o-line this year.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
USC, ORE & CAL are the cream of the crop, if we could win one of those games we could end up 9-2, which ain't bad for Erickson's first year.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stomped them! Somewhere, Gaddabout is still telling anybody who will listen that Stanford is as athletically talented as ASU.

Go Devils!

Heh ... Stanford's first team defense made our offensive line look like turnstiles. ASU tried (and failed) to recruit every player on their defensive line. Yes, they made trouble for ASU.

I mean this in the spirit of the board, but I question anyone who is questioning Ryan Carpenter's heart or attitude. He took an absolute beating out there tonight. Ryan Torain *tries* to pick up the blitz, I give him credit for that -- he's not shying away -- but he just does not know how to get an angle and get his pads square to get underneath that blitzer. Ugh. It was painful to watch.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Heh ... Stanford's first team defense made our offensive line look like turnstiles. ASU tried (and failed) to recruit every player on their defensive line. Yes, they made trouble for ASU.

I mean this in the spirit of the board, but I question anyone who is questioning Ryan Carpenter's heart or attitude. He took an absolute beating out there tonight. Ryan Torain *tries* to pick up the blitz, I give him credit for that -- he's not shying away -- but he just does not know how to get an angle and get his pads square to get underneath that blitzer. Ugh. It was painful to watch.

Gad, but let's be honest Torain is out there to run the rock. Koetter always would go with the best pass blocker or the guy who ran through cones well in practice but DE wants the best overall back.

If anything Pollack needs to take some heat, he is the "captain" and he said his line wouldn't repeat its poor perfromance, and yet it did, this line is average, pollack included. They talk a great game but rarely back it up.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gad, but let's be honest Torain is out there to run the rock. Koetter always would go with the best pass blocker or the guy who ran through cones well in practice but DE wants the best overall back.

If anything Pollack needs to take some heat, he is the "captain" and he said his line wouldn't repeat its poor perfromance, and yet it did, this line is average, pollack included. They talk a great game but rarely back it up.

No doubt, and I wouldn't take Torain off the field if I were the coach, either. Just not understanding all of the criticism of Carpenter. I think some people -- ASU fans -- just don't like Carpenter and they prefer if he takes the blame. Don't know why, because we're not going to beat the better teams on the schedule with Danny Sullivan. Carpenter is as important to this offense as Torain.

Krula has to sit next week. Put in Julius at RT to start the game rather than waiting for problems to correct the obvious problem. This has happened two weeks in a row. We don't have to guess any more the rest of the season what teams are going to do. They're going to send numbers until ASU shows they're going to limit the number of hits -- sacks or otherwise -- Rudy's going to take in a game. Eventually every QB has a magic number of hits they take before they stop looking downfield and start looking sideways in the pocket.

Don't think Pollack is the problem. Thought he played a very good game. He can't turn guards into tackles any better than Cozzetto can. We saw this recruiting problem two years ago and it's just something Erickson will have to address in Juco recruiting in the off-season. (Also need some TE's, stat!). A couple of us have been expecting ASU to convert Lance Evbuomwan to tackle for a year now. Hopefully they can get some tight ends so they can make that move happen ASAP. Lance looks like a potentially awesome left tackle, but not so much a pass catcher. OTOH, I wouldn't want to meet him on a crackback block on a counter play with him at H-back. That would leave a mark, as they say.

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
(Also need some TE's, stat!). A couple of us have been expecting ASU to convert Lance Evbuomwan to tackle for a year now. Hopefully they can get some tight ends so they can make that move happen ASAP. Lance looks like a potentially awesome left tackle, but not so much a pass catcher. OTOH, I wouldn't want to meet him on a crackback block on a counter play with him at H-back. That would leave a mark, as they say.

Agreed about the TE situation, Brent Miller has been pretty disappointing this year and they don't have any super solid youth at that position either, they may have to go the JC route.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
No doubt, and I wouldn't take Torain off the field if I were the coach, either. Just not understanding all of the criticism of Carpenter. I think some people -- ASU fans -- just don't like Carpenter and they prefer if he takes the blame. Don't know why, because we're not going to beat the better teams on the schedule with Danny Sullivan. Carpenter is as important to this offense as Torain.

Krula has to sit next week. Put in Julius at RT to start the game rather than waiting for problems to correct the obvious problem. This has happened two weeks in a row. We don't have to guess any more the rest of the season what teams are going to do. They're going to send numbers until ASU shows they're going to limit the number of hits -- sacks or otherwise -- Rudy's going to take in a game. Eventually every QB has a magic number of hits they take before they stop looking downfield and start looking sideways in the pocket.

Don't think Pollack is the problem. Thought he played a very good game. He can't turn guards into tackles any better than Cozzetto can. We saw this recruiting problem two years ago and it's just something Erickson will have to address in Juco recruiting in the off-season. (Also need some TE's, stat!). A couple of us have been expecting ASU to convert Lance Evbuomwan to tackle for a year now. Hopefully they can get some tight ends so they can make that move happen ASAP. Lance looks like a potentially awesome left tackle, but not so much a pass catcher. OTOH, I wouldn't want to meet him on a crackback block on a counter play with him at H-back. That would leave a mark, as they say.

Gad, I don't get why you don't understand the Rudy hate? QB's have the ball therefore, most fans will only be watching the QB.

Rudy is a good QB, my only issues with him are when he gets happy feet and when he stares down receivers, however, that usualy happens when he is getting hit every other play. Rudy is a pretty good QB and is still growing.

My issue is that Pollack is the captain of the team and the oline, he needs to drive them to success. that comes with the territory of the role and he speaks for the line. If he can't do the job or lead the team then give up the captian tag and it's all under the bridge.

Overall ASU beat ass tonight, it's hard to bitch and make sense, but there are 2 things I want to see improved.

1. ASU needs to finish drives and finish when it gets gifts!
1ST And goal from the 1? no TD?
1SR and 10 from the 20 after a To and no TD?

ASU needs to make that happen! TD's on big plays won't always happen the deeper you get into the ten.

2. Oline on passblock. Stanford wasn't brining 9 guys they were bringing 4 + 1 or 2 line backers and ASU could'nt pick that up, of course Torian missed 2 of them, but 1 or 2 backers should shut down the entire pass offense. This is where Pollack need to hammer into this team!

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed about the TE situation, Brent Miller has been pretty disappointing this year and they don't have any super solid youth at that position either, they may have to go the JC route.

Assuming Ev makes the move to tackle, Pettes is the only returning TE I can think of. And we're a one-back offense. Kind of scary. Also replacing 5 of the best 6 OL. Yep, I think we're going to be knee deep in jucos this year.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Glad ASU won the game and didn't play to the lvl of their competition like a lot of other rank teams did today :)

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Wow, with how easy this win was and the complaining about the o-line, I totally forgot about our previous losing streak in California. This win now makes me extra happy.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Winning is all that matters. ASU won, again. Now we focus on Washington state.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard