Assessing The Current Climate in Arizona

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't know. We heard several reports that Whisenhunt wanted Marc Bulger, several months after we signed Anderson. I think Whisenhunt doesn't have the personnel power others here believe. Rod Graves does, and he has a history of terrible personnel moves.

It's not a popular opinion but I think I'll be proven right in time.

The fact of the matter is that the Skelton lobby won't believe he's terrible and that we're screwed until we have a shot at a true franchise QB.

Regarding Skelton: his problem is that he's a true project because he comes from a small school with minimal pro-formations, defenses, reads, and quality players to play against. I'm high on Skelton, I'm just cautious about whether or not he can develop fast enough in the NFL today. Years ago they would develop players for years, and I mean even going back to when Brady was developed early on. He was allowed to make mistakes. Today everyone wants instant success. Skelton is no Andrew Luck or Peyton or what-have-you.

He could be great. I just question whether he'll be given that chance to develop normally. I've been saying (as have others) since the beginning that Skelton is improving every year, but I don't think that's what coaches see; I think what they see is the goal of what they want, and they say he isn't there. Really believe that. They want a finished or nearly finished product (even coming right out of college).

Years and years ago Skelton would have been a true developmental project that you counted on. Nowdays I don't know--I honestly think he's viewed as a guy who develops slowly because of his small-school background (even though he's improving every single year). I just don't know that teams have that kind of patience anymore. I wish they did, but I don't know man.

Even fans are impatient, calling for drafting players who they think can come in and play super pro ball, even fans of our own team aren't willing to develop him. Coaches are even worse than fans. They don't have years. Every coach gets fired, just a matter of when.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Regarding Skelton: his problem is that he's a true project because he comes from a small school with minimal pro-formations, defenses, reads, and quality players to play against. I'm high on Skelton, I'm just cautious about whether or not he can develop fast enough in the NFL today. Years ago they would develop players for years, and I mean even going back to when Brady was developed early on. He was allowed to make mistakes. Today everyone wants instant success. Skelton is no Andrew Luck or Peyton or what-have-you.

He could be great. I just question whether he'll be given that chance to develop normally. I've been saying (as have others) since the beginning that Skelton is improving every year, but I don't think that's what coaches see; I think what they see is the goal of what they want, and they say he isn't there. Really believe that. They want a finished or nearly finished product (even coming right out of college).

Years and years ago Skelton would have been a true developmental project that you counted on. Nowdays I don't know--I honestly think he's viewed as a guy who develops slowly because of his small-school background (even though he's improving every single year). I just don't know that teams have that kind of patience anymore. I wish they did, but I don't know man.

Even fans are impatient, calling for drafting players who they think can come in and play super pro ball, even fans of our own team aren't willing to develop him. Coaches are even worse than fans. They don't have years. Every coach gets fired, just a matter of when.

I think what the coaches and front office sees is the enormous investment they made in Brittle Boy and are trying to CYA by dissing Skelton.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think what the coaches and front office sees is the enormous investment they made in Brittle Boy and are trying to CYA by dissing Skelton.

I disagree, I think they've been patient with Skelton. Given the current climate in the NFL, very patient. He's the longest-tenured drafted or FA QB we've had on our roster under Whis. I think they like the kid.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I disagree, I think they've been patient with Skelton. Given the current climate in the NFL, very patient. He's the longest-tenured drafted or FA QB we've had on our roster under Whis. I think they like the kid.

No. Both Warner and Leinart were on the team 2007-2009. I think you mean drafted or FA CKW brought in. But even that's not legit because it's only been 2 seasons and 3/5 pre season since Warner and Leinart have been gone. So it's not like they've kept him around for 4-5 years. Besides they don't like him DRC+a 2nd round pick plus $20 million dollars worth.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Skelton will start the season, Kolb is done. Current climate is we need Skelton to rise up and be a quality NFL QB.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Using Whisenhunts desire to sign Marc Bulger as a defense for him is weak at best. He was awful his last 3 years as a starter and had such a passion for the game he retired at age 34.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't know. We heard several reports that Whisenhunt wanted Marc Bulger, several months after we signed Anderson. I think Whisenhunt doesn't have the personnel power others here believe. Rod Graves does, and he has a history of terrible personnel moves.

It's not a popular opinion but I think I'll be proven right in time.

The fact of the matter is that the Skelton lobby won't believe he's terrible and that we're screwed until we have a shot at a true franchise QB.

The guys that we know that Whis agitated for were Charlie Whitehurst and Marc Bulger. It's not exactly a ringing endorsement of Whisenhunt's talent-identification skills.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The guys that we know that Whis agitated for were Charlie Whitehurst and Marc Bulger. It's not exactly a ringing endorsement of Whisenhunt's talent-identification skills.

Not sure Whiz could have been inside Bulger's mind from across the country. What Bulger did have was incredible accuracy and had put up some very good numbers over a 3 years or so.

Whitehurst was Grimm's suggestion because someone on the Chargers staff who is his buddy recommended Jesus.

I blame Whiz for not going to the QB store at the mall where all you have to do is slap down a credit card and get the next Manning.

Scud was not brought in to be the starter but the backup to ML and again who was available at that time.

Hall was an UDFA.

Whiz has gone a bit Gruden where he keeps bringing in a bunch of QB's and throwing them against the wall and hope somethings sticks but isn't that what most teams do with everyone position? That's why there are rounds 5 through 7 in the draft and UDFA's.

To be clear I give Whiz a C for the QB position on the Cards. He helped turn Warner back into an elite QB. Bones is making strides and due to circumstances was forced into action before he was ready.

The biggest mistake has been not figuring out how to make a move in the draft to take a better prospect than Bartel or as it turns out Kolb.

Now we see hope in Bones and Lindley so maybe, just maybe, the drought is letting up a bit at the QB position.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Not sure Whiz could have been inside Bulger's mind from across the country. What Bulger did have was incredible accuracy and had put up some very good numbers over a 3 years .

Incredible accuracy? Like his last 3 years as a starter when he had 58, 57 and 56? Or thre more INTs than TDs in each of those 3 years? It had been a long time since 2006 when he was last an effective QB. As bad as Warner's down years were he never put 3 in a row like that, so to expect a similar come back was ridiculous at the time.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Incredible accuracy? Like his last 3 years as a starter when he had 58, 57 and 56? Or thre more INTs than TDs in each of those 3 years? It had been a long time since 2006 when he was last an effective QB. As bad as Warner's down years were he never put 3 in a row like that, so to expect a similar come back was ridiculous at the time.

That Rams team became what it has been for almost a decade now...one of the worst in the NFL and it was not because of the QB position.

I read an article that quoted Raven's players praising Bulger's accuracy.

Let's just say that Bulger is far more accurate then Scud ever was or Bones is at this point.

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/08/23/ravens-offense-in-good-hands-with-backup-qb-marc-bulger/

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2299/marc-bulger

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/17/warner-bulger-would-be-great-fit-in-arizona/

Bulger was twice a probowler.