Assessing The Current Climate in Arizona

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
The Players Continue to Rule the Roost

Do you attribute last year's turnaround to Ken Whisenhunt and his staff---or to the players who finally said enough of this sh#%---or to both?

What this year's pre-season has suggested thus far--->the players' hands are firmly on the light switches. There has been no evidence thus far of a carry-over of momentum from last year.

Perhaps the one coach who deserves the most credit for helping to engineer last year's turnaround is Ray Horton. Horton gets it. He's been the most vocal of the coaches this past week---and he's been the one to call a spade a spade.

What has Horton been insisting? That "it's not a game of sometimes, but all the time." The climate that Horton grew accustomed to over the past decade was the one in Pittsburgh where if you wore the Steeler uniform you played physical, hard-hitting football in practice, in pre-season games, in the regular season games and in the playoffs. Rookies who came into the organization already had the heads-up. You come to camp ready to play physical football or you're gone.

You have to love what Horton said this week about penciling in starters:

"if you look on paper and said, 'can you pencil in your starters? Has this guy won the job?' i'd say no, because our first group, New Orleans went right down the field on the first drive, the second drive. Kansas City went down on the first one, went down on the second one. So would i say every starter's position is locked up? Nope. Uh-uh."

Adrian Wilson has been going around to his fellow veterans and demanding that they get their acts together. Wilson, who took a pay cut to remain a Cardinal for life, knows that Horton is right.

The problem remains---this group of Cardinals is just as capable of showing up soft as they did in the last two pre-season games, as it is capable of showing up hungry and resolute.

Ken Whisenhunt has not changed this climate in Arizona. Ray Horton is trying to now.

But---it's becoming more and more obvious---the players are doing their own thing.

The QB Struggles

One has to laugh when fallen starters from other teams like Tarvaris Jackson and Colt McCoy are being mentioned as trade targets for the Cardinals.

What would make anyone think Ken Whisenhunt, Mike Miller, Russ Grimm and John McNulty would suddenly take an average or slightly less than average QB and suddenly make him confident?

These coaches are QB busters.

"He missed an open guy. He missed an open guy."

Big freaking deal.

The fact is---they can't coach good enough QB play because they cannot impart any real sense of confidence in their QBs. They put all their QBs on trial to the point where their QBs play defensive offense.

in Ken Whisenhunt's 5 years in Arizona---there was only one year (2009) where the Cardinals came into camp knowing exactly who the starting QB would be---and that QB, Kurt Warner, had to not only wrest the job away from Matt Leinart, he had to convince Whisenhunt to change the offense to fit his style.

Whisenhunt wanted to run the ball on first and second downs. Warner said he needed to throw the ball early and often in order to get into a rhythm and not have to always be faced with pressure 3rd and 5s.

Warner simplified the offensive philosophy by convincing the coaches to exploit mismatches and to incorporate a set of pre-snap audibles that would allow Warner the autonomy to react to what the defense was showing him.

The results were stunning.

Put it this way---no one wanted to blitz Kurt Warner because they knew he would have the immediate answer.

But where does this leave the Cardinals now?

First of all, the coaches have not professed a commitment to any of the QBs the Cardinals have had on their roster since Warner retired.

There comes a time where---if you want to instill confidence in the player most responsible for the team's success that you have to make that commitment.

For example, why did Alex Smith suddenly have a pro Bowl year in SF last year?

Outgoing HC Mike Singleton had his daily issues and battles with Smith. No one on Singletary's team was scrutinized more that Smith was.

New HC Jim Harbaugh reached out to Smith and made a commitment to him.

Think that commitment made a difference?

The thing is---if the team senses that the HC doesn't have confidence in his QB, then why would they?

The other thing is about the Cardinals' QB situation is that they are so far behind the current offensive trends in the NFL in that the toughest teams to defend are those who have an established QB like Manning, Manning, Brady, Brees and Rodgers and whose offensive plays are called consistently at the line of scrimmage in reaction to how the defense is aligned.

A game of cat and mouse---for sure.

But the cat usually beats the mouse.

With the Cardinals' offense---which is so ridiculously predictable---the offense is most often the mouse and the defense is the cat.

One also gets the sense from what the Cardinals' coaches have said in the past about failed audible calls---that the coaches would rather have the QB run the play they called, regardless of the defensive alignment.

To think that despite all of this---and not previously having one pre-season of reps in the first team offense, that John Skelton would manage to go 8-4 in the games he played is astonishing.

Yet, alas, what kind of commitment and signs of confidence is Skelton getting from his coaches?

Whisenhunt has drawn so much attention to the QB competition that analysts on ESPN and NFL Network are breaking down the film of every one of Skelton's passes.

it's way TOO much scrutiny, especially for a young player.

And what does it take for a QB to excel in the NFL?

He has to be able to play free and loose.

Bill Belichick actually encourages his QBs to take as many risks as they want in practice---there are some days that even Tom Brady throws 2-3 interceptions---but---Belichick believes in learning from mistakes (better to learn it in practice) and he believe in having his QBs play unencumbered by the constant fear of failure.

in other words...Bellichick believes in running an offensive offense.

He also believes in exploiting LBers and safeties in the middle of the football field---and to date virtually no one has figured out a way to stop it.

What do we know about the Cardinals' plan of attack?

The LeBeau 34---Horton's Dilemma

The best news is we now have made a commitment to the LeBeau 34 in Arizona and we have a great teacher and mentor for the LeBeau 34 in Ray Horton.

The tough part is---the Cardinals' personnel from past defenses is not quite suitable for the LeBeau 34.

Horton said this week that the starters' jobs on defense are "not locked up."

Expect some surprises---some as early as week one---but several by mid-season, just as last year Horton infused the youth of the team into his defense.

The youth on the team knows nothing different.

The veterans, however, do---and they have been used to getting away with doing their own thing in key situations, which either creates a big play---or it results in an egregious miscommunication or coverage error.

There are 5 positions on the defense right now that are question marks:

LDE---Darnell Dockett is not a classic LeBeau 34 DE---as Dockett wants to out-quick his blockers and Horton wants and needs Dockett to occupy his blockers. When Dockett doesn't do his job, the defense can be run on easily up the middle.

SS---Adrian Wilson is very good playing in the box---but Horton wants and needs his safeties to be interchangeable, so that Horton can disguise his blitzes and, most importantly, his coverages. Wilson has a tough time playing in space and so it limits what Horton can do with him.

LOLB---O'Brien Schofield is not strong or stout enough to set the strong side edge, which is a mandatory aspect of the LeBeau 34. Clark Haggans is better versus the run but is not an edge pass rushing threat. What LeBeau insists about his OLBers is that they HAVE to be able to do both. Schofield can rush...but he can hold the edge and he is just learning how to cover. Sam Acho on the other side is markedly better at all three.

FS---Kerry Rhodes is not a "little guy who can hit." Rhodes brings good size to the position, but he doesn't bring a hitter's mentality. One of the ways the Steelers have been able to defend the Patriots, for example, is by punishing their WRs and TEs over the middle.

in today's game---if you don't cover, harass and punish WRs and TEs over the middle, you are going to bet beat and get beat often by a wide margin.

Don't forget too that the Cardinals play the Patriots in New England the second game of the year.

RCB---What Horton needs here is a player who can cover from a small cushion and lay vicious hits on any ballcarrier his way. Thus far, we have not seen William Gay fitting the bill---the closest to it has been rookie Jamell Fleming. With Fleming it appears like it's not a question of if, but when.

The good news is---Horton has clearly had an impact on his first two drafts and UCFA signings, because the answers may already be on the roster and they are: DE--David Carter, SS--Justin Bethel, FS--Blake Gideon, CB--Jamell Fleming. OLB Sam Acho has been one answer---now the team needs to search for an answer at SOLB. Look for the team to try to make a trade or to try to convert Stewart Bradley to SOLB.

Blaming the Woes on the Offensive Line

Enough already. These guys settled down last year and played reasonably well.

This pre-season even Ken Whisenhunt blamed them for Kolb's recent injury. Not a good precedent. .

Brown, Colledge and Sendlein have started in Super Bowls.

Snyder started in the NFC Championship game last year.

Bridges has started several playoff games and an NFC Championship.

Finally the Cardinals drafted three very talented offensive linemen in Massie, Kelemete and Potter---and they need to be groomed and pushed along.

John Skelton went 6-2 behind the line last year. Beanie had over 1,000 yards and over 4 yards per carry.

Time to start giving the players some credit.

So what are the answers?

imho---

1. The players have to decide to man up like they did last year...and this time keep it that way.

2. The coaches have to make a commitment to John Skelton and help him play confidently and loose.

3. The Cardinals need to make a trade for a SOLB.

4. Horton needs to keep insisting on discipline and toughness---and subbing out any player who isn't providing it.

5. The offensive line needs to be talked up, not trashed.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
These are grown men, and professional athletes, if they need this much coddling to do their million dollar jobs, then I would cut them immediately. In one hand it seems to me you want Horton to be harder on the defensive players, and in the other you want Whiz to be nicer to the offense ? I dunno about that.

And how is SF 100% behind Alex Smith, did you not hear about the fiasco with Alex Smith, Peyton Manning, and Miami ?

Good post and all, but these are professionals, and should be treated as such. If the player is paid 500k to block the guy in front of him, and doesn't have the desire, or the work ethic then you fire him. When you talk about successful teams in the NFL, they are some of the most cut throat in the league.

Last edited:

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I mostly agree, except about the OL. Our QB's are under a lot of pressure against supposed preseason "vanilla" defenses. And we can't convert short-yardage runs with any consistency. They don't look good so far at all.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These coaches are QB busters.
This, IMO, is the biggest failing of Whiz's tenure in AZ. I hope he can get it turned around.

A close second is his blind loyalty to Grimm.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Whisenhunt wanted to run the ball on first and second downs. Warner said he needed to throw the ball early and often in order to get into a rhythm and not have to always be faced with pressure 3rd and 5s.

No one should believe this, and everyone should stop saying it. Go back to the play sheets from when Leinart was the starter in 2007, and you'll see that we were still passing the ball on first and second downs. In the first quarter, and when the game was close.

We can argue about whether that's a good philosophical idea. If you have a league-average quarterback, it probably is. The upside to a successful pass play is greater than a similarly successful run play. But with the group that we have, it's much less clear that the pass-first philosophy is going to be effective.

But what can't be debated is that Whisenhunt had to be convinced to love the passing game. That's just not true. I think that Whis had to be convinced into certain personnel groupings, to play more out of the shotgun, to play with less QB protection. But to pass the ball 65% of the time?

No chance.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Totally agree with the QB buster statement. As far as the QB position the staff has to make a choice and go with it. I believe you have to treat different positions in each their own unique manner. Yes I agree the QB needs to have confidence built and trust in order to succeed as it has the most responsibility of all the positions.

I know when I coached soccer the goalkeeper position was often a head game for me. Just as it takes a different kind of person to play QB it also takes a different type to play GK. Both are the most noticeable position because the QB is involved in every offensive snap and guess who the ball goes past when a goal is scored.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Typical over reaction.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
These are grown men, and professional athletes, if they need this much coddling to do their million dollar jobs, then I would cut them immediately. In one hand it seems to me you want Horton to be harder on the defensive players, and in the other you want Whiz to be nicer to the offense ? I dunno about that.

And how is SF 100% behind Alex Smith, did you not hear about the fiasco with Alex Smith, Peyton Manning, and Miami ?

Good post and all, but these are professionals, and should be treated as such. If the player is paid 500k to block the guy in front of him, and doesn't have the desire, or the work ethic then you fire him. When you talk about successful teams in the NFL, they are some of the most cut throat in the league.

Very good points. :thumbup:

On the Alex Smith Front I would also like to add, last year they only signed Smith to a one year deal and drafted a 2nd round QB. Then this year the HC personally works Manning, then laughably yells at the media calling them liars for saying he went after Manning when he says he didn't, all of that before actually showing Smith he is their future with a new 3 year deal after the let Smith take visits with other teams.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
LOLB---O'Brien Schofield is not strong or stout enough to set the strong side edge, which is a mandatory aspect of the LeBeau 34. Clark Haggans is better versus the run but is not an edge pass rushing threat. What LeBeau insists about his OLBers is that they HAVE to be able to do both. Schofield can rush...but he can hold the edge and he is just learning how to cover. Sam Acho on the other side is markedly better at all three.

Very good point.

I still think Acho would be better on the Strong Side.

Blaming the Woes on the Offensive Line
Enough already. These guys settled down last year and played reasonably well.

Did they? 2.39 yards per carry vs SF game2. 4 sacks and 3.08 ypc vs Cleveland. 5 sacks and 3.27ypc vs Bengals. 5 sacks vs Dallas. 18 sacks in the last 5 games. That would equate to 58 sacks over 16 games. More than twice as many as 2009.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch, there have only been two pre-season games. I'm willing to give the coaches at least one more game before I start crying gloom and doom.

Come on. Tell the truth. You were the guy who started writing his term papers the second week of school, weren't you? ;)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very good point.

I still think Acho would be better on the Strong Side.

Did they? 2.39 yards per carry vs SF game2. 4 sacks and 3.08 ypc vs Cleveland. 5 sacks and 3.27ypc vs Bengals. 5 sacks vs Dallas. 18 sacks in the last 5 games. That would equate to 58 sacks over 16 games. More than twice as many as 2009.

I dunno Sam was good at setting the edge last season. But in two games thus far he has been getting blown up pretty damn good. Hopefully hes "saving" it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very good points. :thumbup:

On the Alex Smith Front I would also like to add, last year they only signed Smith to a one year deal and drafted a 2nd round QB. Then this year the HC personally works Manning, then laughably yells at the media calling them liars for saying he went after Manning when he says he didn't, all of that before actually showing Smith he is their future with a new 3 year deal after the let Smith take visits with other teams.

was going to make this same point.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I dunno Sam was good at setting the edge last season. But in two games thus far he has been getting blown up pretty damn good. Hopefully hes "saving" it.

I don't see him getting blown up. I see him over reacting and getting caught up inside too much. However, there have been reports that he needs to get better against the run. To me, at 6'2" 262 he has the size you would want at SOLB to hold up against the extra traffic but isn't as quick as what you would want at WOLB.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This, IMO, is the biggest failing of Whiz's tenure in AZ. I hope he can get it turned around.

A close second is his blind loyalty to Grimm.

2a has to be his blind loyalty to an over complicated offensive and defensive scheme that he refuses to budge on. It wasn't until Horton came in and dumbed down the defense until players got it that the D got better. The freaking DC gets it but not the HC come on

2b has to be blaming everyone calling out players in the media and not adjusting his schemes to his talent.

This team will not get any better until Whisenhunt is gone from AZ. Great, he got this team to the super bowl---4 years ago. It is amazing at how many fans like Whisenhunt simply because he brought this team to mediocrity despite having very good talent.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Singletary made a commitment to Smith too, it was the prior coach who didn't believe in Smith. The problem was Singletary didn't know what he was doing on offense and hired an OC etc who ran his style of offense.

Harbaugh knows what he's doing he put in an offense that hid Smith's weaknesses and accentuated his strengths. Not sure Whiz has done that with anybody here but it had far more to do with style of offense than commitment to a QB.

harbaugh was so committed to Smith he used a 2nd round pick on a QB, tried to sign others before settlign on Smith and then tried to get Manning. Harbaugh gets its harder to win a Superbowl with a don't lose the game for us QB than it is with a good QB.

They went out and signed, drafted speed at WR, it'll be very interesting to see if they open it up or decide they can't because of Smith. Smith no doubt was more confident last year but I think largely because he got how QB friendly that offense is. Just don't lose the game.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Singletary made a commitment to Smith too, it was the prior coach who didn't believe in Smith. The problem was Singletary didn't know what he was doing on offense and hired an OC etc who ran his style of offense.

Harbaugh knows what he's doing he put in an offense that hid Smith's weaknesses and accentuated his strengths. Not sure Whiz has done that with anybody here but it had far more to do with style of offense than commitment to a QB.

harbaugh was so committed to Smith he used a 2nd round pick on a QB, tried to sign others before settlign on Smith and then tried to get Manning. Harbaugh gets its harder to win a Superbowl with a don't lose the game for us QB than it is with a good QB.

They went out and signed, drafted speed at WR, it'll be very interesting to see if they open it up or decide they can't because of Smith. Smith no doubt was more confident last year but I think largely because he got how QB friendly that offense is. Just don't lose the game.
Exactly.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I agree with you Mitch, except for one thing and that is your basing your assessment of Wilson on an assumption of the general belief of what Wilson is considered to be (because he excels at playing in the box) and not what he actually is, which is a good safety in any scheme (being great at one aspect does not mean he is still not good at the others). He did play the position according to Horton's system at a high level the second half of the season or the defense would have faltered and AW even did it injured with a torn bicep. Wilson fits it just fine in my opinion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, there have only been two pre-season games. I'm willing to give the coaches at least one more game before I start crying gloom and doom.

Come on. Tell the truth. You were the guy who started writing his term papers the second week of school, weren't you? ;)

Dems---i'm sorry that you came away from this post feeling like i was forecasting gloom and doom.

The current climate is not where it should be---and i think you will agree with that---but---we saw what the players could do the second half of the year---the question is can they match similar intensity and toughness the first half of this year? Can they sustain it for the whole season?

Like Ray Horton says, though---you can't just turn it on and off and vice versa.

Like you i am hoping for the best---

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I agree with you Mitch, except for one thing and that is your basing your assessment of Wilson on an assumption of the general belief of what Wilson is considered to be (because he excels at playing in the box) and not what he actually is, which is a good safety in any scheme (being great at one aspect does not mean he is still not good at the others). He did play the position according to Horton's system at a high level the second half of the season or the defense would have faltered and AW even did it injured with a torn bicep. Wilson fits it just fine in my opinion.

JG--- agree with you that Wilson picked it up a notch last year---and i am extremely hopeful he will deliver in all the ways RH needs and wants him to.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

Once again---you and do not see anywhere near the same things, Russ.

i saw a HC reaming his QB out on numerous occasions on the sidelines.

i saw a QB at odds with his star RB, TE and all his WRs.

i saw fans who were ready to pay themselves for his ticket out of SF.

Harbaugh changed ALL of that.

Everyone wanted Manning---who wouldn't?

They re-signed Smith---the commitment is firm.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love me some Ray Horton. He has transformed the defense (at least for 8 games) into a tough nosed bunch.

Horton also has made some mistakes:

Took him tooo long to realize he had to scale back the D.

Has out thought himself with his uber vanilla approach to preseason play calling. This is a blitzing / attacking D and it's what the players are use to. Not running those kind of plays takes them out of the right mentality and literally changes the culture of what they are.

Nothing to be up in arms about but he was a rookie DC and I get why he would want the D to be able to line up and play vanilla and still not give up 4 touchdowns in as many possessions to start a game.

Now I have to wonder how much buy in he has from the players if Whiz can undermine his authority with his unit? I mean does anyone really believe Whiz is actively telling the D players to ignore Horton or take it easy during the preseason or..........

So how can we blame Whiz for the "under performing" D during preseason games unless we believe Horton has zero buy in from his unit?

I want to know which QB talent Whiz has killed? Leinart, really, please!! Anderson, really?
Max Hall, really? Jury still out on Kolb and Bones at this point.

Now if you want to argue Whiz has trouble identifying QB talent you might have an argument but I have a ton of counter points to that theory.

So while some my get tired of the "Whiz" took us to the SB from is supporters doesn't mean there isn't a TON of substance behind that point of view. Freakin Cardinals who hadn't won but 1 playoff game it like 60 years but Whiz gets no credit. It must have been all Warner and Haley?

Love me some Kurt Warner but let's not let our memories fade on how pititful he was before Whiz came into his life. Warner was a shell shocked turn over machine when Whiz became the HC.

Warner gets credit for makig the Offense work because he was given the okay from the coaches to run his style of O. Well that counters the theory that Whiz won't adapt his scheme to the skills of his players, doesn't it?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love me some Ray Horton. He has transformed the defense (at least for 8 games) into a tough nosed bunch.

Horton also has made some mistakes:

Took him tooo long to realize he had to scale back the D.

Has out thought himself with his uber vanilla approach to preseason play calling. This is a blitzing / attacking D and it's what the players are use to. Not running those kind of plays takes them out of the right mentality and literally changes the culture of what they are.

Nothing to be up in arms about but he was a rookie DC and I get why he would want the D to be able to line up and play vanilla and still not give up 4 touchdowns in as many possessions to start a game.

Now I have to wonder how much buy in he has from the players if Whiz can undermine his authority with his unit? I mean does anyone really believe Whiz is actively telling the D players to ignore Horton or take it easy during the preseason or..........

So how can we blame Whiz for the "under performing" D during preseason games unless we believe Horton has zero buy in from his unit?

I want to know which QB talent Whiz has killed? Leinart, really, please!! Anderson, really?
Max Hall, really? Jury still out on Kolb and Bones at this point.

Now if you want to argue Whiz has trouble identifying QB talent you might have an argument but I have a ton of counter points to that theory.

So while some my get tired of the "Whiz" took us to the SB from is supporters doesn't mean there isn't a TON of substance behind that point of view. Freakin Cardinals who hadn't won but 1 playoff game it like 60 years but Whiz gets no credit. It must have been all Warner and Haley?

Love me some Kurt Warner but let's not let our memories fade on how pititful he was before Whiz came into his life. Warner was a shell shocked turn over machine when Whiz became the HC.

Warner gets credit for makig the Offense work because he was given the okay from the coaches to run his style of O. Well that counters the theory that Whiz won't adapt his scheme to the skills of his players, doesn't it?
:thumbup:

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch, I see things quite like you do. For instance, I have said this whole off-season that I feel pretty good about the offensive line. Unlike many on this board, I don't fault Levi for every turnover, sack, failed third down, or opponent's score logged during games. In fact I believe that he has played pretty well since the middle of last year. Colledge, and Bridges are both very experienced and have played well for us this past year. Sendlein is probably the most solid of our O-linemen, though he could be a little heavier in the britches. Snyder comes with much scrutiny being deployed, but he played pretty well last week, and opened a number of holes to run through. We haven't seen much of that on the right side since Deuce was benched. Batiste DOES show the quick feet that you have described here before, and looks to be a good backup that may push Bridges for gametime before too long. I really like our three O-line draft picks, and can't wait for them to gain experience so that we have good depth as well.

I still believe that QB is the biggest cause for disjointedness and hap-hazardous play on the offense. I believe that, (though he still needs improvement), Skelton has thus far completely outplayed Kolb, both last season and this. I believe that, (unless Kolb has a massively superlative game this week), and totally outshines Skelton, that Skelton has proven to be the correct choice for QB on this team. That said, I also believe it is time for Whiz to proclaim that, and to be give Skelton the reps with the ones from now on. It is time to start getting down to the business of letting Skelton know that he is the man, and to let his team mates know that, so that some consistency can be gained in the offensive play. Let's not do like last year, and waste the first 7 games.

I have no doubt that Horton will sort out the 'D', and that anyone who is not doing the job will be benched rather quickly. He knows the talent that he has on that side of the ball, and he knows when someone is not playing up to their talent level. I also believe that he has had a belly full of mediocre offenses taking our defense to task this off season. I believe that he will impose a culture of very hard and demanding play out of his players on that side of the ball, (starters AND depth players). He won't waste half a season to put in the ones who show that they WANT to do the job. I look for tomorrow's game to be the bench mark for who will be the future starters on the defense, and on the offense as well. I believe that there will be some tackling done this week, and anyone caught watching the game from the playing field, will watch from the bench quickly enough.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once again---you and do not see anywhere near the same things, Russ.

i saw a HC reaming his QB out on numerous occasions on the sidelines.

i saw a QB at odds with his star RB, TE and all his WRs.

i saw fans who were ready to pay themselves for his ticket out of SF.

Harbaugh changed ALL of that.

Everyone wanted Manning---who wouldn't?

They re-signed Smith---the commitment is firm.

You're referring to one game and apparently not remembering what happened. Smith fumbled against the Eagles, it was returned for a TD and Singletary was furious with Smith not protecting the ball and ripped into him and then told David Carr to go out on the field for the next possession.

Except Carr didn't go into the game, Vernon Davis grabbed Smith and told him to go fight for his job, he did, and Singletary KEPT him in the game. He said after the game he ripped him because he wanted to see how Smith would react to the challenge. He was happy to see teammates rally behind Smith and say they didn't want him on the bench, and he was happy to see Smith come back at him. Maybe that was CYA talk but they lost that game to go to 0-5 and at that point Smith was 6 TD's 9 picks and that was only because he had 3 TD's in that Philly game. he'd been terrible and SF fans wanted him benched.

Singletary didn't bench him. he continued to start Smith until he got fired with one game left in the season. Troy Smith started a few games (3 or 4 IIRC) when Smith hurt his shoulder but otherwise Smith started. When he took over as 49ers coach he very clearly named the position open, that's why Smith took a paycut but not becuase of Singletary because the GM wasn't sure he was a starter anymore. Shaun Hill beat out Smith but then didn't play well and Singletary made Smith the starter. Yep he benched the guy he chose as the starter and named Smith the starter(in 09) and then again in 10 Smith was the starter and he got the job back when the shoulder healed and it was obvious Troy Smith wasn't the QB.

I think harbaugh did an amazing job with Alex but it was because he devised an offense that hides what Alex doesn't do well.