Bears Current Posture

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
You have to think Hump is done here. Possibly even done career wise.

If he does get cut (which makes all the sense) having to rehab from a serious knee injury knowing you miss a year and have no team guaranteed is tough at his age.

He's be late 32.5 when he next hits a camp and what will teams want to pay him at that age coming off a bad knee? Next to nothing.

Hard to do that rehab to the level needed to play again when your next job is for little money far from home.
Hump isnt great but he is a starting caliber left tackle. Linemen routinely play into their mid thirties and left tackles are hard to come by. even at a discounted rate he will get 8 to 10mil a season... 25 million bucks is plenty of reason to put work into rehab.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Hump isnt great but he is a starting caliber left tackle. Linemen routinely play into their mid thirties and left tackles are hard to come by. even at a discounted rate he will get 8 to 10mil a season... 25 million bucks is plenty of reason to put work into rehab.
Yup. Justin Pugh got signed to a deal in camp. Kelvin Beachum is 35 years old.

It's very foreseeable to have Hump cut his salary to stay here, or even get cut, complete rehab and be available for a playoff team in January, then get another $5-8 million APY deal for the next three or four years.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's very foreseeable to have Hump cut his salary to stay here, or even get cut, complete rehab and be available for a playoff team in January, then get another $5-8 million APY deal for the next three or four years.
Championship

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

The Captain's future has more to do with his interest in rehabbing to continue playing. He will have a market if he chooses to do so. Might not be 15mil+ but he can hang around if he wants.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unadulterated ********. Please find me a quote where I have defended Keim as a GM. Go on. Do it or S T F U.

Your mental gymnastic can really be summed up in these two quotes.
All this moaning about the roster. The roster will be good enough.

But we do. You don't win 11 games without good players.

but I like large parts of this roster when it's healthy. I don't think it's any worse than last year except maybe at pass rush, for which we will have to see how that plays out.

There were some terrible performances on Sunday but I don't think it's a true reflection of this roster.

And I still think this roster is good enough.
And that was just the first 4 I seen

You must be registered for see images

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You have to think Hump is done here. Possibly even done career wise.

If he does get cut (which makes all the sense) having to rehab from a serious knee injury knowing you miss a year and have no team guaranteed is tough at his age.

He's be late 32.5 when he next hits a camp and what will teams want to pay him at that age coming off a bad knee? Next to nothing.

Hard to do that rehab to the level needed to play again when your next job is for little money far from home.
Spot on Brit

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Can you name one? Can you think of a tackle that did an ACL at age 31, got cut, missed a year and came back? I can't.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Can you name one? Can you think of a tackle that did an ACL at age 31, got cut, missed a year and came back? I can't.
A vastly declining LT that was never elite… cut ‘em’ give me the money to spend else where. Thank you for your service Hump, but this is a business after all.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trent Williams missed 2019 and was cut by Washington when he was 31. Had a knee issue in 2017 into 2018 that required surgery and then that tumor in his head that lead to him refusing to ever play for them again.

Made 4 straight pro Bowls and 3 all-pros at LT.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Trent Williams missed 2019 and was cut by Washington when he was 31. Had a knee issue in 2017 into 2018 that required surgery and then that tumor in his head that lead to him refusing to ever play for them again.

Trent Williams compared to Hump? And I thought I’d seen it all!

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Who compared them. He asked for a specific example of a situation and I provided it. What am I missing.

That info was super interesting and thanks for posting bankybruce!

I guess like chopper said it all depends where DJ's head is at.

Certainly wishing DJ the best the best though. He's been a good player and teammate during his tenure here in ARZ!

Last edited:

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Who compared them. He asked for a specific example of a situation and I provided it. What am I missing.
I don’t think that example is specific bc Hump never was the player Trent was before… thus will never be in the same atmosphere after

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

He was actually traded.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was actually traded.

Whoops, though he was cut. He still refused to play for Washington again for how they handled his injuries and missed a year because of it.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
@DaHilg why can't you be civil? Seriously? Is your hate for DJ so bad that you need to be like this?
Civil by a simple “oof”? Thicken that skin maybe… I just (and do most analysis outside of Card fans.. and number of folks here), see Hump as a back end of the NFL starter whose never been elite and on the decline for some time. Def not worth even close to his top 10 LT salary… I think he is very replaceable for his level of play for a player with more upside and cheaper. Whether that be one of our first rounders or a RT in FA if we move PJJ to LT.

I’m not emotionally attached but to Hump like some fans on this board are to see the actuality of Humps situation. I think he might have been cut this offseason even before injury as the plan was likely to move PJJ to LT.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What part of this being a reference to rehabbing late in a career didn't you understand?
The part where I don’t feel it carries really any more weight than any non-elite tackle doing so. Trent Williams is in a class of his own… there surely have been severely that have came back from injury that were never elite and never going to be. It’s just my
opinion. Hump seems to be a great guy and I get folks fandom get in the way of the reality of the situation - I think he’s been a waste of money for most of his career.

That’s it. No need for yet another poster to get upset about this.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Where is this talk that Humphries isn't going to rehab and try to play again coming from? He's absolutely going to play again. Whether or not it's for the Cards is another story. But he's not going to just say "F it" I'm done. NFL players aren't wired that way.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Where is this talk that Humphries isn't going to rehab and try to play again coming from? He's absolutely going to play again. Whether or not it's for the Cards is another story. But he's not going to just say "F it" I'm done. NFL players aren't wired that way.
Whose saying he’s not going to play in the NFL again???

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And that was just the first 4 I seen

You must be registered for see images

It does not surprise me one bit that you think "the roster isn't as bad as you think" is more of an endorsement of Keim than the dozens of posts where I said Keim sucks and should be fired.

You heard it here folks. If you think the roster is better than someone else thinks you are tacitly approving of the GM.

There's a tonne of stuff that goes into a roster and the performance of that roster other than the GM. Natural development and coaching being the two most obvious, as well as scheme fit. Not to mention a large part of the fanbase often thinks the roster sucks worse than it is.

I mean, most of this board spent the whole offseason slating the signing of Froholdt and are now happy with him starting as just one example.

Like a single player, all rosters have a ceiling and a floor, just because I saw it different than you or anyone else very obviously does not mean I was defending Keim. One of your most ridiculous takes ever and it's a long list.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It's nowhere near the same. Williams hurt his knee in 2017 but it wasn't an ACL and he wasn't cut by Washington, he was traded to the Niners in 2020 after missing '19 with the cancer thing which had cleared by then.

He didn't spend a year teamless recovering from an ACL injury.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard