Arizona @ Toledo Fri Sept 2nd

desertrat218

Veteran
Reaction score
Arizona football will open on the road against Toledo in a nationally televised game. Arizona's offense looks like it will be pretty potent as they return most of last year's starters. The defense has some question marks, especially at LB. The starting LBs have a total of 7 career tackles among them, so there is very little experience at a very key position.

Toledo will be fired up with the opportunity to play a BCS school at home in front of a national audience. Arizona is a 15 point favorite.

I'm thinking the Cats take care of business but it could be close. I'm interested in hearing what other people think.

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
September 3rd...

I am so ready for the season to start. Just got my season tix in the mail. Stoked!

OP
OP
D

desertrat218

Veteran
Reaction score
September 3rd...

I am so ready for the season to start. Just got my season tix in the mail. Stoked!

There are some very attractive home games this year, especially Iowa, USC, and ASU. Washington for homecoming is pretty decent too. I am likely going to be at the Iowa game, not sure about any others.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It's pretty clear - if UA doesn't win comfortably it's going to be a long season.

I think we end up 7-5 or 8-4 barring an injury to Foles.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cats will run for 300 yards in this game and it will be over before the third quarter. Toledo is dreadful on defense and they're replacing starters at the skill position on offense. Lay the 16 points or whatever you got.

OP
OP
D

desertrat218

Veteran
Reaction score
It's pretty clear - if UA doesn't win comfortably it's going to be a long season.

I think we end up 7-5 or 8-4 barring an injury to Foles.

I was thinking 8 wins, maybe 9 at the most. This team always seems to lose at least one game they should win but by the same token they always manage to win one they should have lost. Last year's Stanford and Washington games come to mind.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just crush those gnarly Iowa bastard fans for me. UNBEARABLE. WORST FANS EVER. Run up the score on them.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait until you meet Colorado fans in Boulder. Ohio State fans in Columbus are pretty bad too.

I have lots of Colorado friends. They're more up on microbrews than college football. OSU fans can be pretty bad, but nothing matches the self-loathing, mouth-breathing Iowa fans. Trust me on this.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The worst fans I've dealt with are MWC and WAC fans. I've heard horror stories about Hawaii, my trips to watch UA Hoops at SDSU and UNLV was the worst I've ever been treated. Worse than SDS.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Wait until you meet Colorado fans in Boulder. Ohio State fans in Columbus are pretty bad too.

Colorado fans are easily the worst I've encountered outside of uofa games in Tucson (I know, it goes both ways). I went to the ASU/Colorado game in Boulder with some college friends a couple years ago. A girl I was with got hit in the face with a hot dog that was thrown by a Colorado fan. No, it wasn't my hot dog :D

I went to the Georgia game last year and they were the best fans I've encountered. I'm going to Madison in a couple weeks and am not sure what to expect.

OP
OP
D

desertrat218

Veteran
Reaction score
I have lots of Colorado friends. They're more up on microbrews than college football. OSU fans can be pretty bad, but nothing matches the self-loathing, mouth-breathing Iowa fans. Trust me on this.

I went to a Colorado-Nebraska game in Boulder, I'm a lifelong Husker fan sicne I lived there up to age 12. I won't ever forget seeing a Colorado fan punch my friends 8 month pregnant wife in the stomach after the game. I also will never forget the officials stopping a Colorado-Nebraska game so they could kick the entire student section out of the stadium for throwing stuff on the field as Nebraska beat them 30-3. Then just 2 years ago there was the incident with a Colorado fan shining a laser light into the eyes of Oklahoma State QB as he tried to run a play out of the shotgun. No question Colorado fans are the absolute worst.

HooverDam

Reaction score
You guys have got to go to the white helmets full time, they're slick. Even though the A logo is a bit too small and doesn't show up as well on TV as the Desert Swarm era helmets, UA looks much nicer tonight than they have in their recent cheery and blueberry unis.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
You guys have got to go to the white helmets full time, they're slick. Even though the A logo is a bit too small and doesn't show up as well on TV as the Desert Swarm era helmets, UA looks much nicer tonight than they have in their recent cherry and blueberry unis.

I'm old school (went to UA in the late 80's/early 90's) so I'm with you on the white helmets. I think they look great, although the 'A' is too small, like you mentioned. I love the blue and red stripes on the helmet, always did.

OP
OP
D

desertrat218

Veteran
Reaction score
Comcast crashed at my house right after Arizona scored the 1st touchdown, didn't come back on until score was 34-2. I hadn't planned on listening to the game on radio, when is the replay?:bang:

This is a complete win, both the offense and the defense played well. It was only Toledo, but I'll take a 41-2 win on the road anytime! (We'll know a lot more about this team after the Iowa game)

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Comcast crashed at my house right after Arizona scored the 1st touchdown, didn't come back on until score was 34-2. I hadn't planned on listening to the game on radio, when is the replay?:bang:

This is a complete win, both the offense and the defense played well. It was only Toledo, but I'll take a 41-2 win on the road anytime! (We'll know a lot more about this team after the Iowa game)

its replaying on ESPNU right now

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If nothing else we know the passing game is in top form. Foles looked like Jeff George out there tonight.

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
Good win for the Cats. Foles and Criner looked great. This is a young team that will only get better. Biggest concern going forward has to be the o-line. I expected them to be better. In order to upset Iowa in two weeks, the o-line will have to play much better.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good win for the Cats. Foles and Criner looked great. This is a young team that will only get better. Biggest concern going forward has to be the o-line. I expected them to be better. In order to upset Iowa in two weeks, the o-line will have to play much better.

The offensive line is not a concern. They are actually a strong part of the team. They are a veteran unit led by Baxter, who is one of the top centers in the country. Dotsy is a nice big guard but needs to stay healthy. The key will be Amituanai. He has to be able to protect Foles back. There were some mishaps yesterday but that is expected. This unit is solid and I will only be concerned if the injury bug hits them.

OP
OP
D

desertrat218

Veteran
Reaction score
I hope to see Arizona improve the running game. With the exception of Grigsby's 36 yard TD run, the running game was a non factor. They will need more balance to beat Iowa.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Good win for the Cats. Foles and Criner looked great.
Juron Criner is an awesome story. The only reason we have him is because of our failed recruitment with Gerrell Robinson who at this point has scored zero career touchdowns and might not even be on ASU's roster next season despite the Devils having a pretty sub-par receiving core. Now Criner is well on his way to being a first day draft pick. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

We could tell a similar story with Nick Foles of course.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard