Arizona Cardinals Rookie Minicamp May 11 - May 13

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sixth-round pick Chris Campbell with an INT in 1-on-1 drill against receiver. Coaches yell at the Penn State CB to return the ball all the way to the end zone, which he does.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Greg Little had an OK rookie year (61-709 2 TDs) and then got worse as his career went on, is there some kind of issue with him? He hasn't played 16 games since 2013 or caught a pass since 2014.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Most impressive play on first day of minicamp: Josh Rosen hits Christian Kirk in stride for a 35+ yard gain in 11-on-11 work.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most impressive play on first day of minicamp: Josh Rosen hits Christian Kirk in stride for a 35+ yard gain in 11-on-11 work.

Lets hope we hear this a lot during Cardinals games for the next decade.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@AZCardinals rookie minicamp five observations on Josh Rosen: 1. He got better with his throws as the practice unfolded. 2. Throws really well to his right. 3 He has a live arm. 4. Excels on rolling out/naked bootlegs. 5. He has tendency throwing to left with low throws #Firstday

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
With rookie minicamp underway, I wanted to know a little bit about some of the players, and I thought you might find it interesting as well. Some of them I had heard a little about, some of them I just thought was interesting. Also, some of them won’t be with the team after this weekend.

Once it was announced who the Cardinals had signed in undrafted free agency, I did a little write up on some of the players, and you can read it by clicking here. It is the last part of the post.

Tight end Travis Wilson, Utah

I’m almost sure that the tight end tryout-player Travis Wilson is the same one who played quarterback at Utah and was a quarterback prospect in the draft in 2016. I couldn’t confirm it, though. That Travis Wilson did make the switch to tight end before last season, and he did attend Utah. He is also listed with one year of experience on the sheet Darren Urban tweeted out. I am going to go of the assumption that it is him.

Supposedly he is a great athlete. He is standing 6-7 and according to Jordan Palmer, who works with college players, he runs faster than Deshaun Watson. It’s easy to see on his college tape that he certainly does not shy away from contact, and he was a dual threat quarterback, so it is not new to him to create something with the ball in his hands. In fact, his college teammates called him “bulldog”.

In reality, Wilson is facing a very steep uphill battle, and since he has only played tight end for about a year and a half, he needs a lot of coaching in blocking technique and route running. I do think, however, that he is a fascinating prospect.

Cornerback Tavierre Thomas, Ferris State

Before committing to Ferris State, Thomas did have interest from Division I schools like Iowa, Central Michigan and Eastern Michigan, but he did not have the grades to get a scholarship. In other words, it was not because of his football ability that he attended Ferris State and not a bigger school.

The last two seasons Thomas has been a Division II first team-All American. Last season he was also named Defensive Back of the Year. In two seasons at Ferris State he had 10 interceptions and 38 pass breakups. It was obviously on a relatively low level, but when prospects play at that level I guess all you can expect is that they dominate, and Thomas did that.

Thomas is said to be a sure tackler.

Wide receiver Trent Sherfield, Vanderbilt

I could be way off here but in the Arizona Cardinals Underground podcast I thought it sounded like Paul Calvisi had heard from one of the scouts to keep an eye on Sherfield.

Based on talking with teams leading up to the draft, Sherfield expected to be selected no later than the fifth round and thought he could go as high as the third round.

Pro Days can’t be exactly compared with the Scouting Combine due to the surface, the weather conditions and other variables, but for the sake of evaluating Sherfield, who was not invited to the Combine, I have selected the numbers I think has relevance to a wide receiver. I actually think some of the drills translate fairly well to the playing field, unlike with most other position groups. His 10 yard split was not that great (though it was the same as Odell Beckham’s), and his vertical jump was not very impressive either. His short shuttle, though, would have ranked him #10 among wide receivers, and his three cone drill would have ranked him #12. His broad jump would have ranked him #5.

Defensive back Deatrick Nichols, South Florida

I’ve seen a few people be exited that Nichols choose to join the Cardinals, so I wanted to see why that was.

The last two seasons Nichols has been voted first team All-American Athletic Conference, and three years in a row he has been selected to at least some All-American team, which I think is especially interesting because he played outside cornerback two seasons ago but moved inside to nickelback last season. In college the nickelback has to be one of a team’s best defensive backs due to all the spread offenses. In South Florida’ defense their head coach wants the nickelback to be good at both man coverage, zone coverage, run support and blitzing. Nichols flourished in that role.

He is known as a ferocious hitter, and there are videos of some of his tackles on Youtube. I would copy one video to this post, but I don’t know how I do it, so I have to post a link to the video instead. Click here to see it.

Also, he projects as a nickelback in the NFL, and I think it would be great to have a nickelback named Nichols.

Safety A.J. Howard, Appalachian State

Howard started as a true freshman and played every game that season, as well as the next two seasons.

He has great intangibles and a very impressive football IQ. He is great at diagnosing plays, and he knows where everyone is supposed to be lined up.

He was the leader of a strong defense that last season, among other things, ranked #14 in touchdowns given up, #30 in yards given up in the red zone, #12 in interceptions and #32 in first downs given up. Remember there are 130 teams in those rankings.

I also thought it was interesting that Steve Wilks himself was present at Appalachian State’s Pro Day. I don’t know it for sure, but I doubt that he attends many Pro Day’s in person.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Sixth-round pick Chris Campbell with an INT in 1-on-1 drill against receiver. Coaches yell at the Penn State CB to return the ball all the way to the end zone, which he does.
Again, this is not a fluke for guys who naturally turn their heads to make plays on the ball. If Campbell can learn the rest to position himself near the WR, he will create turnovers.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's amazing what one draft can do for the psyche. Up until the draft I was very happy with the Wilks hire and his staff. I was also satisfied with the FA signings the Cardinals have made so far. However I was kind of ho hum about the upcoming season. It just seemed like this season was going to be about rebuilding with an outside chance at being competitive if everyone stayed healthy. Yet the future still remained cloudy. There just wasn't that spark of hope for the future I guess.

I'm always excited about a new season but I wasn't all in on this one yet. Then this draft was like a much needed shot in the arm to renew my excitement about the future of the Cardinals.

I still don't think much has changed with the Cardinals chance of being competitive this year even after this exciting draft. I believe that the Cards have an outside chance of being competitive enough to make the playoffs. I think it's just I'm more excited at the direction of where the Cardinals are heading.

Its amazing how a couple of draft picks can re-stoke the fire of my Cardinals fandom. I have to say it's burning hotter than ever right now!

I think what excited me the most were the comments by Carson Palmer. That dude legit believes the Cardinals could be good next year and even if he's biased, it made me even more excited.

His comments were spot on; how many teams can lose their star RB, starting QB, Starting LT, #2 pass rusher and still be competitive. The Cardinals went 8-8 with that cast of characters missing. In retrospect, they probably have a winning record, albeit probably just miss the playoffs with that crew all playing. Sometimes fate works out better though....I'd rather have Josh Rosen than watch the Cardinal win one or two more games.

Based on comments from Keim and Wilks, it seems they view this draft as a foundational draft. You get your long term star QB, #2 receiver, starting C or G, backup RB, and a good CB prospect. If all those picks work out, the Cardinals are in a much better position 2 years from now.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Again, this is not a fluke for guys who naturally turn their heads to make plays on the ball. If Campbell can learn the rest to position himself near the WR, he will create turnovers.

Frankly it's his most exciting trait. I am so tired of watching Cardinals CBs not named Patrick Peterson, not look back for the ball.

raptor100

Rookie
Reaction score
Its befuddling to me that nobody has mentioned Frank Ginda from SJS. This player although a little small is a demon on the football field.

His combine was very good. Has speed, very strong, a non-stop motor and always in on plays. A hidden gem IMO.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its befuddling to me that nobody has mentioned Frank Ginda from SJS. This player although a little small is a demon on the football field.

His combine was very good. Has speed, very strong, a non-stop motor and always in on plays. A hidden gem IMO.

I don’t agree, he looks slow on video. Looks like scooby Wright all over again. Hope I’m wrong, don’t think i am.

raptor100

Rookie
Reaction score
I don't agree with your take on him. He has 4.5 speed and the Cards have a habit of strictly relying on speed. Because of that they passed on many guys that were ballers.

Ginda is a football player. Look at guys like Sean Lee, Danny Amendola, Welker, etc that didn't have burner speed but had/have very good careers. Scooby doesn't have any speed per say. Ginda does. Don't sleep on him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard