Arizona: Big Dance still possible?

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
After such an awful year, beating UofA to all but keep them out of the NCAA tourney is soooo sweet..

:D

maybe next year Kitties..

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
After such an awful year, beating UofA to all but keep them out of the NCAA tourney is soooo sweet..

maybe next year Kitties..

Well, have fun denying us this year. With the classes we keep bringing in, it won't be long until that won't be an option anymore (probably next season). Regardless, I know I would be excited if I was an ASU fan, so congrats! :)

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, have fun denying us this year. With the classes we keep bringing in, it won't be long until that won't be an option anymore (probably next season). Regardless, I know I would be excited if I was an ASU fan, so congrats! :)

heard this last year too..:D

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
If you look at our roster it's surprising we were even in the Tournament discussion. Our best player is Kyle Fogg who would be at UC-Irvine or LMU if Brandon Jennings actually took his SAT and we only go seven deep. Everyone forgets that our 2008, 2009, and 2010 classes were thrown together at the last minute because we simply needed bodies. Nobody noticed our starting center is maybe 6'7 and his only backup is a 6'9 freshman who only started playing basketball a few years ago? The freshmen will get better and we'll be fine.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Josiah Turner suspended, probably done at Arizona. Answer to this thread question is no.

Miller has to start recruiting better overall kids going forward who are more structured and can be coached up. Miller runs a system unlike Lute who somewhat rolled the ball out there which means he could get away with some loose cannons every now and then. And this ain't Xavier either where you sometimes have to take a chance on guys since you won't be getting high-end talent all the time.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josiah Turner suspended, probably done at Arizona. Answer to this thread question is no.

Miller has to start recruiting better overall kids going forward who are more structured and can be coached up. Miller runs a system unlike Lute who somewhat rolled the ball out there which means he could get away with some loose cannons every now and then. And this ain't Xavier either where you sometimes have to take a chance on guys since you won't be getting high-end talent all the time.

IT's a shame but Miller is doing the right thing. If you don't crack down early you get what UCLA had for awhile.

It'll be interesting to see what Turner takes from this is he finally going to look in the mirror, or just do what Doris taught him and just go somewhere else?

What a shame I hope he finally wakes up and smells the coffee.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Turner is suspended for the rest of the year and highly doubt he will be back. It will be interesting to see if Miller recruits a point guard for next year or goes with Mayes and York.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Turner is suspended for the rest of the year and highly doubt he will be back. It will be interesting to see if Miller recruits a point guard for next year or goes with Mayes and York.

York is a pure shooter and doesnt run the point well. Mayes is too inconsistent to start.

Look for Miller and co. to put the full court press on Amedeo Della Valle to sign with UofA in the next couple of weeks.

Methinks Josiah isn't a Wildcat after this week.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can't find anything that shows him out for the rest of the year. Everything I see just says it's "indefinite". Do you know something beyond what's in the press release? At this point, I'd assume he's gone but I'm curious how definite it is. Also, does anyone know what his violation was this time and the previous time?

Steve

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
I suspect a graduate transfer to start at PG immediately. However, this also assumes one good enough comes available (which I think will happen) and that ADV waits long enough before deciding. Either way, I could see Miller taking both.

My prediction is that we have a new starting PG on the roster next year and hes a RS senior.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
York is a pure shooter and doesnt run the point well. Mayes is too inconsistent to start.

Look for Miller and co. to put the full court press on Amedeo Della Valle to sign with UofA in the next couple of weeks.

Valle is not a pure pg, he is definitely more a shooting guard. If Mayes gets 100% healthy, I see Miller giving him a legit shot to play the position.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The problem is Della Valle isn't a PG either he's a 2 that can play some PG.

UCLA was recruiting him and I saw a game on tv and immediately wondered why they are recruiting him as a PG when he's so clearly not a PG.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
One more away from the big dance. Can we do it? Beat Colo by 14 a couple weeks ago and lost by 1 in their house before that. I think we have a good shot. We seem to be playing ok without Turner.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
It also doesn't hurt that Colo. played the late game yesterday and the championship game will be the Buffs' 4th game in 4 nights.

:cats:

TJ

Reaction score
It also doesn't hurt that Colo. played the late game yesterday and the championship game will be the Buffs' 4th game in 4 nights.

:cats:

True, but the Buffs will bring the momentum of beating both the #2 and #3 seeds in this tournament with them.

No guarantees today

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Props to UofA for not letting the asu loss creep into the tourney.. Played well thus far and have had every possible break go their way thus far with the highest seed they will play the entire tourney will be #5 seed... How the hell did that happen..

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Props to UofA for not letting the asu loss creep into the tourney.. Played well thus far and have had every possible break go their way thus far with the highest seed they will play the entire tourney will be #5 seed... How the hell did that happen..

Well, if you had been following this league all season long you'd realize that it's a joke to think any of 8 teams should have been a clear cut favorite to win the tourney. There just isn't that much difference between UW, Cal, Stanford, UO, OSU, UCLA, Colorado or Arizona.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, Lunardi has the Cats back in the field now as a #13 seed.

That makes more sense although it probably doesn't matter. A win against Colorado takes the mystery out of it and a loss will probably be just enough to send them to the NIT but until that game, they really should have been right there.

Steve

TJ

Reaction score
Hey, at least we can say we are potentially a #1 seed in a tournament

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're in playing to win makes sense extra games extra practices. honestly I'm glad UCLA didn't get picked even if people are complaining Stanford was taken ahead of them. Season was such a disaster glad for it to be over.

Interesting to see if UA reinstates Turner they said something on air during the finale that if I heard it correctly implied Miller would revisit the suspension after that game.

TJ

Reaction score
If you're in playing to win makes sense extra games extra practices. honestly I'm glad UCLA didn't get picked even if people are complaining Stanford was taken ahead of them. Season was such a disaster glad for it to be over.

Interesting to see if UA reinstates Turner they said something on air during the finale that if I heard it correctly implied Miller would revisit the suspension after that game.

If Turner isn't reinstated for the NIT, it is safe to say his tenure at UofA is over.

If anything, the NIT can serve as an opportunity for the freshman to get more experience for 2012-2013, and Lord knows all three need as much experience as they can get.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard