Arizona: Big Dance still possible?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does UA need to do to get a bid?

Obviously, not losing to ASU is job #1.

Do they need to make the Pac-12 Champ game? Or will making the semi's do the trick?

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
Beat ASU, win at least 1 in counference tourney. That *may* do it. I'd be comfortable that they're in if they can get 3 more W's.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
ESPN's Lunardi, who is uncannily accurate most years, has the Cats safely in as a #11 seed. UA isn't even in his 'Last Four In' section.

Only losing to asu and losing in the PAC 12 tournament first round will keep them out, IMO.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN's Lunardi, who is uncannily accurate most years, has the Cats safely in as a #11 seed. UA isn't even in his 'Last Four In' section.

Only losing to asu and losing in the PAC 12 tournament first round will keep them out, IMO.

Yahoo has them out, for now - will depend some on if any non-lock teams win Conference championship tourneys, like someone from OVC other than Murray State winning, etc.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
This is how Lunardi sees the bubble as of today:

IN (14, in S-Curve order): 35-Southern Miss, 36-California, 37-Cincinnati, 38-Alabama, 41-Arizona, 43-Seton Hall, 44-Connecticut, 45-West Virginia, 46-Mississippi State, 47-Brigham Young, 48-Miami, 49-Texas, 50-Northwestern, 51-South Florida

OUT (12, in S-Curve order): 69-Xavier, 70-Saint Joseph’s, 71-VCU, 72-Colorado State, 73-Oregon, 74-Colorado, 75-Dayton, 76-NC State, 77-Illinois, 78-New Mexico State, 79-Ohio U., 80-Central Florida

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is how Lunardi sees the bubble as of today:

IN (14, in S-Curve order): 35-Southern Miss, 36-California, 37-Cincinnati, 38-Alabama, 41-Arizona, 43-Seton Hall, 44-Connecticut, 45-West Virginia, 46-Mississippi State, 47-Brigham Young, 48-Miami, 49-Texas, 50-Northwestern, 51-South Florida

OUT (12, in S-Curve order): 69-Xavier, 70-Saint Joseph’s, 71-VCU, 72-Colorado State, 73-Oregon, 74-Colorado, 75-Dayton, 76-NC State, 77-Illinois, 78-New Mexico State, 79-Ohio U., 80-Central Florida

He is pretty high on a 70 RPI team.

Interesting seeing Oregon and Colorado so close to making it - either of those teams going deeper in Pac-12 tourney than Arizona would not be good news.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Interesting seeing Oregon and Colorado so close to making it - either of those teams going deeper in Pac-12 tourney than Arizona would not be good news.

As long as Colorado isnt the team that beats UA in the quarterfinals, then it wont be a problem. It will be a problem for the other teams on the bubble.

UA's resume is much better than either Oregon or Colorado, but a UA loss in the quarterfinals will put them squarely on the bubble.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
He is pretty high on a 70 RPI team.

RPI is high because they've had to play Utah, USC, and ASU so much. Their OOC SOS and lack of bad losses will get them in assuming they beat ASU and whoever in the first round at Staples.

The ASU game scares the crap out of me. ASU is really bad but this is their Super Bowl, they are going to leave everything on the court. If it was in Tucson no problem but in Tempe you never know.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
RPI is high because they've had to play Utah, USC, and ASU so much. Their OOC SOS and lack of bad losses will get them in assuming they beat ASU and whoever in the first round at Staples.

The ASU game scares the crap out of me. ASU is really bad but this is their Super Bowl, they are going to leave everything on the court. If it was in Tucson no problem but in Tempe you never know.

Let's hope UofA fans fill the arena up like they do every year.

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
Worrying about losing to ASU is like worrying about an asteroid hitting the Earth. Sure, it will EVENTUALLY happen, but the chances are very slim it happens this year.

I too think that all they need to do is win their next two games and they are in.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Love to just win the PAC Tourney, get the automatic berth and better seeding than #11.

One can dream, right?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love to just win the PAC Tourney, get the automatic berth and better seeding than #11.

One can dream, right?

It's a weak year for the Pac but there isn't that much difference between Washington, California, Arizona, Oregon and Colorado. Plus, with the LA advantage even UCLA has a fair shot. I'd certainly give the edge to UW but I could see any of these teams winning it. I think the Wildcats are in with a win against ASU but if Oregon wins it all or even just advances further it could really hurt UA's chances.

Steve

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
****. I can't believe we went out and lost to ASU. We're just so damn small inside.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Saw this one coming unfortunately. That was the worst defensive performance from an Arizona team I have seen in quite some time.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
We now have to get to the championship game at the very least and maybe even win it.

Horrible horrible loss.

ASU played like it was their Super Bowl. UofA half assed it the entire way and made some boneheaded decisions. Perry and Turner were forcing shots I dont even think Michael Jordan could ever make.

I'm sick to my stomach.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wow this is an absolute shocker. UA has to win the PAC 12 tournament to even have a shot IMO.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Turn about is fair play. A rare bright spot in an otherwise awful season.

I told a friend earlier in the week that karmic justice says you guys beat us after we put the nail the coffin of your football season. I just wish ASU could have played like that all year so it would not have been such a bad loss to the committee.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN's Lunardi has dropped Arizona out of his bracket projection:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...32/joe-lunardis-latest-bracketology-update-14

NOTABLE
Arizona drops out of field with loss at Arizona State.
Texas moves back into field as the last team in.
With Cal’s loss at Stanford, Washington clinches Pac-12 regular-season title.
Middle Tennessee falls out of field with loss to Arkansas State in Sun Belt tourney and is a fringe bubble team.
Last Four In
Northwestern
Seton Hall
Xavier
Texas

First Four Out
Tennessee
VCU
Oregon
NC State

Next Four Out
Miami (Fla.)
Iona
Arizona
Saint Joseph's

Also considered: Dayton, Marshall, Ole Miss, Middle Tennessee

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of projections that say Cal is the only team that has a lock in. Most seem to have UW and Cal in and the only way anybody else gets in is win the tourney.

I think the interesting thing is say UCLA wins the tourney, I think they might knock UW out. played them twice beat them in LA, had them beat in UW until the parade to the foul line started. UW has a terrible loss to S Dakota State.

I think if UA makes the finals then UW is in trouble because that means UW is out and UA is pushing to take UW's seed.

It really is wide open I could see any of Cal, UW, UA, Oregon, UCLA, Colorado, OSU getting hot and winning this thing and even Stanford could make a run.