anyone have a guess on how we spend up to $70 +/- Million?

pinnacle

Reaction score
looks like we have $17 million left..which means we must have spent $58 million so far.. I think the minimum we can spend is 90% of $75 Million..so approximately $68 million. Say the rookie cap cost us $4 million.. that takes us to $13 million left to spend...although the cardinals are willing to spend up to $75 million ...we will have to spend at least $5 - $6 million more on veterans just to get to the $68 - $70 million range..

Guys we can restruture: KVB, Shelton, Raynoch Thompson, wilson, maybe barrett (do not know the rules on restructing a restricted FA)..but barrett already counts $1.3 against cap - so if we extend his deal his cap # would not go up by much...almost the same for shelton this season - a long term deal with Lj would not cost us a bunch more this season. Contrary to popular opininion, I think the cardinals would like to get up to $72 million or so (I do not think the plan here is the spend $7 million under the salary cap).

question: are there any other guys out there we can extended on our roster that would make sense? The cards can go after guys like brackens if he is cut - but they may not come here.. I assuming we would only bring in at most 3 more veterans (including like a robinson). I think the roster is at 58 now - plus 7 draft picks = 65..plus maybe 10 FA rookie free agents (no cap hit)..not many spots left to begin training camp...

I guess my long winded conclusion is that after the draft the cardinals will make some serious efforts to get some of the above guys extended (I would like to extend all of them - even if one or two end up as backups). I see no other way to spend $$$..june 1st cuts have been historically disappointing IMO..

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would say our Rookie cap would be at least 5. Then 1.5 for Robinson and maybe 2 for MM. Then see who gets cut June 1st.

Re-sign KVB, Shelton, and Thompson.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by EndZone
I would say our Rookie cap would be at least 5. Then 1.5 for Robinson and maybe 2 for MM. Then see who gets cut June 1st.

Re-sign KVB, Shelton, and Thompson.

Antsports Steve said our rookie cap was only 3.7 million last year. The NFL put a freeze on the rookie cap so it shouldnt go up. In fact dont we have one less pick this year? So it might even go down or up just a tad since we have the #6 pick I would venture to guess that it would be no more then 4 million personally.

I still say we land M. Rob when this is all said and done. After that I have no clue how we spend that much money!

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that it is 85% we have to spend. I read it on one of the sites but can't remember which one. I will try to find it.

Navy Mike

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by pinnacle
looks like we have $17 million left..which means we must have spent $58 million so far.. I think the minimum we can spend is 90% of $75 Million..so approximately $68 million. Say the rookie cap cost us $4 million.. that takes us to $13 million left to spend...although the cardinals are willing to spend up to $75 million ...we will have to spend at least $5 - $6 million more on veterans just to get to the $68 - $70 million range..

Guys we can restruture: KVB, Shelton, Raynoch Thompson, wilson, maybe barrett (do not know the rules on restructing a restricted FA)..but barrett already counts $1.3 against cap - so if we extend his deal his cap # would not go up by much...almost the same for shelton this season - a long term deal with Lj would not cost us a bunch more this season. Contrary to popular opininion, I think the cardinals would like to get up to $72 million or so (I do not think the plan here is the spend $7 million under the salary cap).

question: are there any other guys out there we can extended on our roster that would make sense? The cards can go after guys like brackens if he is cut - but they may not come here.. I assuming we would only bring in at most 3 more veterans (including like a robinson). I think the roster is at 58 now - plus 7 draft picks = 65..plus maybe 10 FA rookie free agents (no cap hit)..not many spots left to begin training camp...

I guess my long winded conclusion is that after the draft the cardinals will make some serious efforts to get some of the above guys extended (I would like to extend all of them - even if one or two end up as backups). I see no other way to spend $$$..june 1st cuts have been historically disappointing IMO..

I would actually like to see the team rework Leonard's contract to a more cap friendly deal. His contract will get really bad for a guard real soon.

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
Antsports Steve said our rookie cap was only 3.7 million last year. The NFL put a freeze on the rookie cap so it shouldnt go up. In fact dont we have one less pick this year? So it might even go down or up just a tad since we have the #6 pick I would venture to guess that it would be no more then 4 million personally.

I still say we land M. Rob when this is all said and done. After that I have no clue how we spend that much money!

Yes our other pick was a 3rd rounder. Now look at Simms cap hit (he was the 6th pick) was 2.7M and Bryant was 1.32M a difference of 1.4M. So 3.7M plus 1.4M is 5.1M. So I would say our pool will be around 5M. The pool actually depends on where you draft too as well as how many picks you have.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: anyone have a guess on how we spend up to $70 +/- Million?

Originally posted by Krangthebrain
I would actually like to see the team rework Leonard's contract to a more cap friendly deal. His contract will get really bad for a guard real soon.

What are you comparing it to?

Do you know how much Larry Alan in Dallas makes per year off hand? I see nothing wrong with paying a guard top money as long as he is dominating!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by EndZone
Yes our other pick was a 3rd rounder. Now look at Simms cap hit (he was the 6th pick) was 2.7M and Bryant was 1.32M a difference of 1.4M. So 3.7M plus 1.4M is 5.1M. So I would say our pool will be around 5M. The pool actually depends on where you draft too as well as how many picks you have.

Ahhh Gotcha thanks!

How much does a 3rd rounder tajke usually?

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
Ahhh Gotcha thanks!

How much does a 3rd rounder tajke usually?

I think McCowns cap hit was 386K and Johnson was 381K.

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
My guess is that we will focus more on veteran filler than the UDFA guys we usally pick up after the draft.

A lot of times there is a handfull of vets that still have something to offer and make good backups, but go into the season without a team because no one can afford them.

If our starters are adequate we might actually win a couple of games through superior depth.

Just a thought

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Originally posted by CaliforniaCard
My guess is that we will focus more on veteran filler than the UDFA guys we usally pick up after the draft.

A lot of times there is a handfull of vets that still have something to offer and make good backups, but go into the season without a team because no one can afford them.

If our starters are adequate we might actually win a couple of games through superior depth.

Just a thought

Actually Jurecki has reported that we will sign no more than 10 UFDA.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we should do what we must to keep our OL in tact for the next 4-5 years. We could use a WR or two and a CB.

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
On one of the other threads, the Cards must spend to $10 million under the cap. The formula is somthing like 54% of the total money available, 46% goes to the owners. There is some other thread about it, but just take my word, the Cards need to spend until they have $10 under the cap or they have to give money to the players.

I'm thinking the $4.0 rookie pool should be about right.

So, the Cards still need to spend at least $3 Million. That seems reasonably easy to so. Bring in 3 vets and that will cover it.

OP
OP
P

pinnacle

Reaction score
on the topic of veterans..I mentioned that after holliday, colvin, douglas and chike were gone ..we should bring in willie whitehead. I am of the opinion that there are quite a few backups out there who would be an upgrade over wakefield. seems the 49ers are talking to whitehead...not that he is the guy - but there has to be an upgrade out there over our current guys...maybe we would be more serious about some of these guys after the draft if we do not get certain positions filled (or after june 1st)..

I will say that we tried to bring in a basic backup from a good defense a few years ago (jarid tomich (spelling?) from the saints..and we cut him in training camp if my memory is right...

I hope either alton moore or dennis johnson come thru and surprise us (I am losing hope that we will draft suggs - in case you have not noticed)...we shall see!

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Thompson, Shelton and Barrett becomes UFA's next year and Wilson and KVB becomes RFA's. They should try to extend at least Shelton and Thompson.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn