Any camp updates on Isaiah Simmons?

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I looked around on the internet.found zilch.

Anyone know how the most important pick since Kyle Murray is performing in the camp?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
trying to keep him focused at MLB vs learning other positions. Not much else I have seen but really, camp barely started and he is probably swimming in the information.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...like they did with Boldin, back in the day. Keep the roar to a minimum and then let him announce himself to the league, week 1.
I've learned to never assume a boldin is coming

Especially from a first rounder

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In Hicks interview today he said he was the most impressive rookie he had ever been around. Said he retains everything from the meetings, and said he is maybe the most athletic person he has ever been around.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I don’t know about training camp but I am watching the rerun of the Fiesta Bowl between Ohio State and Clemson and Simmons just jumps off the screen with his talent and athletic ability. The closing speed he showed on that interception on the sidelines was incredible. I also liked how he sometimes hid behind the referee at the safety spot so the quarterback couldn’t easily identify where he was lined up. dude looks like an all pro safety but can’t wait to see what he does at the linebacker spot.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Simmons is going to have a bunch to learn. Just reference the thread regarding the defense that @DVontel shared. Also, I don't know that I am confident they are really just focusing on Simmons at ILB. Again, using that video as a reference, there are several areas where Simmons skill set seems to fit outside of the middle of the defense 5 yards off the ball.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Madden has him at safety so dumb. Just annoys me. When he is going to play inside LBer
Not a Madden player (recently), but I heard they did that because you can play Safeties at LB but not the other way. Because reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I asked around. Early reports are he’s smart, very instinctive and an outstanding athlete. They say the Cards’ defense will be more complex this year so he may lose some reps to Campbell but everyone thinks he’ll shortly be a Pro Bowl player, though maybe not at his current position. The latter was an interesting observation, I thought.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I asked around. Early reports are he’s smart, very instinctive and an outstanding athlete. They say the Cards’ defense will be more complex this year so he may lose some reps to Campbell but everyone thinks he’ll shortly be a Pro Bowl player, though maybe not at his current position. The latter was an interesting observation, I thought.

I am going to be very disappointed if they make him into a safety.

To me he needs to primarily be an inside backer to maximize his impact.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I am going to be very disappointed if they make him into a safety.

To me he needs to primarily be an inside backer to maximize his impact.
I tend to think the opposite. In the few games I’ve watched him, he’s been playing safety or nickel cornerback but not really so much inside linebacker and he is very effective at reading the quarterbacks eyes and breaking on the ball or diagnosing where the play is going.

I did notice that he shies away from taking on blocks from tight ends or offensive linemen when it’s a running play. However, he is very good at slicing through the offense to get to the ball carrier and he is a very good tackler. I think they can use him as a MUCH more effective $backer/safety like Buch was used.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I think you’re dead wrong.

He’s bigger than Buc & way more athletic than Buc. I think he’s more like Dwash & Los all in one with more skills in coverage.

I think the Eraser will mostly play as a LB, whether on the inside, blitzing or covering the TE. This team has struggled at ILB outside of the 2 mentioned & he’s a badly needed piece & I think Keim realizes this. Simmons will get bigger & has the frame to do it. He’s going to be a star as a LB for Big Red

I tend to think the opposite. In the few games I’ve watched him, he’s been playing safety or nickel cornerback but not really so much inside linebacker and he is very effective at reading the quarterbacks eyes and breaking on the ball or diagnosing where the play is going.

I did notice that he shies away from taking on blocks from tight ends or offensive linemen when it’s a running play. However, he is very good at slicing through the offense to get to the ball carrier and he is a very good tackler. I think they can use him as a MUCH more effective $backer/safety like Buch was used.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
As much as I thought he would be a pretty awesome safety, his size and speed could also be a fit at OLB, especially when our scheme asks the Sam backer to carry the TE at times (you can again reference the Kollman video). With how happy Vance and Kliff seem to be in regards to Jalen Thompson's development, this may be the more likely scenario.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I think you’re dead wrong.

He’s bigger than Buc & way more athletic than Buc. I think he’s more like Dwash & Los all in one with more skills in coverage.

I think the Eraser will mostly play as a LB, whether on the inside, blitzing or covering the TE. This team has struggled at ILB outside of the 2 mentioned & he’s a badly needed piece & I think Keim realizes this. Simmons will get bigger & has the frame to do it. He’s going to be a star as a LB for Big Red

I wasn’t comparing him to Buch, at all. I was saying he would fit that role much better than Buch because he’s so much bigger, faster, and versatile.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Okay, no. Stop it with the safety talk. It finally died out after the draft, and y'all are bringing it back because of a freaking video game? No, just no. Can he play at safety, and will he once sub-packages are put in? Sure, he's a hell of a weapon, and CAN be versatile. Are they going to do that yet? IMO, he sticks almost exclusively at his real position--LB--because he's a rook and just won't have time for anything else.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It was only ONE PLAY (but it's the only one I've seen) and he didn't look good on the Eno run in the Red and White.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was only ONE PLAY (but it's the only one I've seen) and he didn't look good on the Eno run in the Red and White.

Speaking of the Red & White - what happened ( other than Eno)? As a non Arizonian, I'm hoping that the Cox coverage will be re-aired on NFLN. But since the odds of viewing it are slim - what happened? Injuries? Big Plays? Anyone stick out ((both pro and con)? Did the receiver contest sort itself out?

Anything?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Speaking of the Red & White - what happened ( other than Eno)? As a non Arizonian, I'm hoping that the Cox coverage will be re-aired on NFLN. But since the odds of viewing it are slim - what happened? Injuries? Big Plays? Anyone stick out ((both pro and con)? Did the receiver contest sort itself out?

Anything?

I think the red&white hasn't been played yet

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson