10 thoughts - 49ers game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 -
You must be registered for see images attach

2 – This season, the 49ers have only allowed 75 rushing yards on average, and this was the most they gave up since week 7 in 2017 (which was also the last time anyone came above 200 yards). So, there’s that.

3 – Well, that is also a way of saying eff you. #Wilks

4 – It was Dortch that caused the fumble (that was called back) on special teams. I really like that guy.

5 – The d-line gets no push at all. Have I written that before in another column? Oh, I’m sorry. It must be because it is true week after week after week after week after and so on.

6 – Trystan Colon was their best offensive lineman.

7 – It is hard not to consider for a second that the Cards chose between Kyler Murray and Nick Bosa in the 2019 draft. I don’t know what I think about that.

8 –Garrett Williams continue to be one of very few bright spots on defense.

9 – 4 receptions and 20 yards by the collective WR-group. And to think that I thought they were not on the field. Oh boy, how I certainly learned a lesson there, huh?

10 – In the beginning of the season I would have said that Connor was easily replaceable. I still don’t think that he is indispensable, but he sure is an important part of the offense.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nick Bosa is good. But his team is VG because of their QB. If Jimmy Garaffolo (Sp?) were still the QB, I doubt that people would think that they have a good shot to win the SB. And their QB benefits from CMC, two VG WR's and a VG TE.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nick Bosa is good. But his team is VG because of their QB. If Jimmy Garaffolo (Sp?) were still the QB, I doubt that people would think that they have a good shot to win the SB. And their QB benefits from CMC, two VG WR's and a VG TE.
Don't think I agree with the QB part. This team is very good for many reasons and the QB is just a small part of that. This team did go to the NFC championship a few years back with Jimmy G as QB. So obviously, it is not the QB that stirs this drink. It's the coaching staff and system, first and foremost. The defense and talent at skill positions is next on that list.
How do you think Purdy would fare at QB for the Cardinals with our roster?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Except we could have had the good player instead of the QB that hasn't made it yet and, let's be fair, at this point never will. Bosa would have been worlds better as a draft pick.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
When the Cardinals were 1st and goal from the 5 and ended up having to kick a field goal and the ensuing drive the 49ers ran the ball down their throat and scored that was the proverbial nail in the coffin. Not that it would have mattered if they scored a TD but still.
In the immortal words of Bart Scott "they couldn't stop a nose bleed".

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Except we could have had the good player instead of the QB that hasn't made it yet and, let's be fair, at this point never will. Bosa would have been worlds better as a draft pick.
My last post on this subject whether we would have been better with an Edge player than a QB, and naturally in hindsight, I'll argue for a pass rusher that plays for the Cleveland Browns and is better than Bosa. And ask how many people think that his team has a chance to win the SB?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They literally got to the Super Bowl with Jimmy Garrapolo… and the NFC Title game another time.

Try again. Bosa is a beast and the defense revolves around him and has been the one constant in this run of Niners excellence since they drafted him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My last post on this subject whether we would have been better with an Edge player than a QB, and naturally in hindsight, I'll argue for a pass rusher that plays for the Cleveland Browns and is better than Bosa. And ask how many people think that his team has a chance to win the SB?

It’s not hindsight when people wanted Bosa at the time of the draft. I was NOT one of them, but there were DEFINITELY a lot of posters who did. That also doesn’t mean I’m going to make up imaginary arguments to say people didn’t want Bosa back then to try and boost my opinion.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s not hindsight when people wanted Bosa at the time of the draft. I was NOT one of them, but there were DEFINITELY a lot of posters who did. That also doesn’t mean I’m going to make up imaginary arguments to say people didn’t want Bosa back then to try and boost my opinion.
They wanted bosa cause they thought the qb we had that time deserved another chance

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
LOL More of a chance than we do with KM.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I wanted to roll with Rosen and draft Q or Bosa.

Sobering thought - we could have had one of them and still drafted Burrow, Tua, or Herbert the next year (2020) vs Simmons.

One decision (as Harry states above) can change the course of your franchise.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Garth, I think one element in your point is if you believed in Josh Rosen or not. I did, and I still think he could have succeeded. He was obviously bad as a rookie, but I think there are different potential reasons for that – not the least Mike McCoy as the OC, and a horrible offensive line. And obviously he was axed already when Kingsbury was hired. I tend to think that any other quarterback would have gone with Rosen and selected either Nick Bosa or Quinnen Williams.

I certainly have to admit that it is a bad look that Rosen was also benched in Miami, but I think it matters a big deal in a quarterbacks’ development which environment he is in. It always seemed to me that they brought in Rosen as sort of a “well okay, we have a new head coach, so let’s give him some options to choose from,” moreso than that he was that head coach’ (Brian Flores) own choice as his franchise quarterback. I never got the feeling that they truly believed in him, and that they were willing to go a long way to make him succeed.

And about the other teams he has been with, I don’t care much about that, because of what I mentioned about the importance of the right situation.

I just think that any quarterback on a bad team needs time to get acclimated to the NFL and to that team. There has been a lot of great quarterbacks that have had bad rookie-seasons, but because of their situation as that teams’ “chosen one,” they get both a second, third, and sometimes also fourth chance, and that continuity often pays off. Rosen was never in that situation after the Cards. I certainly understand an argument that if a quarterback is good enough, then he is also going to play at some point, but I personally think it is more nuanced than that.

I guess my point is that I wanted Bosa or Williams, but I absolutely understand your point that you need a good quarterback to compete for a Super Bowl.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This also indicated that Purdy is not that important to their success.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson