An interesting QB with a cannon for an arm who will be a late round pick for someone.

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see this article when it came out. I'm not sure if anyone else posted about him already. I guess he worked out for some teams last Friday. I'm not sure how he did. Wasn't Neil Lomax from a smaller school?

KFFL Player Spotlight
QB Rob Adamson

Writer: Tim Ronaldson
Editor: William Del Pilar

March 31, 2003

He threw for 2,424 yards and 30 touchdowns. He completed more than 60 percent of his passes. He led his team to three straight national championships as a starter from 2000 to 2002.

He stands 6'4" tall, weighs 216 pounds. He runs the 40-yard dash in 4.8 seconds and has a cannon of an arm.

No. He isn't Carson Palmer; he isn't Byron Leftwich; he isn't Dave Ragone, Rex Grossman, Kyle Boller or Chris Simms; he isn't even Ken Dorsey.

He is Rob Adamson, a quarterback from Mount Union College, a small Division-III school in Ohio. Adamson did not have the same college experience as the other big-name quarterback prospects, but his goals are the same in this month leading up to the NFL Draft: Get selected by a team and begin establishing a long and prosperous career.

"You can't find all the things Rob has," said Ron Todd, Adamson's agent. "He has all the intangibles."

Adamson has the demeanor of a kid who is going to be the first player selected in the draft. He is not cocky, but rather confident. He knows he can play with the best and knows he has all the tools.

"If there was a book written on how to play quarterback, I play it that exact way," Adamson said.

Coming out of high school, Adamson wasn't a highly sought after player. His prep school rushed the ball a lot, and as a result, he didn't gain the exposure of some other players. Adamson chose playing time at Mount Union over possible bench time at a Division-I school.

Lucky for him, Mount Union ran a pro-style offense unlike many big-name schools that run more conservative offenses such as Nebraska or Virginia Tech or schools that run a spread offense such as Florida or Hawaii. These are offenses that are not typically found in the NFL and which aren't always conducive to the development of a quarterback for NFL success.

"Those guys are doing the same type of things on Sunday we do on Saturday," Adamson said, comparing NFL teams to his own offense at Mount Union.

The offense seemed to fit Adamson to a tee; he completed his final three years at school as a starter, compiling a perfect 25-0 career record and three Division-III National Championships.

But while the other top prospects at his position sit back and let the professional teams come to them, Adamson and his agent are forced to be very active in their search for suitors; they must "sell" him to teams, as there were no television deals or free publicity to do that for him in college.

Todd - known to many as "the agent of the sleeper" - applies what he calls "Full Court Pressure" on NFL scouts and personnel:

"I'm not letting people hide him [Adamson]," Todd said.

Todd, and Adamson, have been participating in what they call "guerilla marketing" ever since the NFL Combine in February. Adamson wasn't invited to the workouts, but he and his agent went anyway to help get his name out there to the NFL world.

While Grossman and Palmer and Leftwich and Ragone sat back and met with NFL teams, Adamson and Todd were passing out brochures, articles, bios and videotapes to anyone who would accept them. Their "guerilla marketing" was in full force, and it has seemed to pay off.

Adamson credits his trip to the Combine as key to his standing today. He says it was crucial to his development as a prospect, as it is huge for an agent to "get to see you in person."

Adamson certainly isn't at the top of the list at his position of prospects and is almost a lock not to get drafted in the first few rounds. His name is quietly circulating through the league, though, and this once relatively unknown quarterback from Ohio is moving up everyone's draft board.

Adamson might not get drafted at all, but it's looking more and more like teams will have to pull the plug on him in the later rounds to assure they obtain his rights; he might not be around come free agency immediately following the draft.

While Adamson acknowledged the positives of going undrafted - like being able to choose the team that fits him best instead of vice versa - he also added that teams "might be out of luck" by the time free agency rolls around.

Adamson is dedicated to his development as a player, even though some would look at his record and say he couldn't lose. He disputes the claim that he wouldn't produce at the same level against better teams.

"When the competition rose, so did I," Adamson said.

He has worked hard to improve his self-proclaimed weaknesses - his size and speed. His playing weight in college hovered around 200 pounds, but in the three months since the season ended, he has managed to gain about 20 pounds of muscle through a tough training regiment.

"I kick myself that I didn't do it earlier," Adamson said. "Many people, including my coach, said I would not be as flexible if I gained weight, but I was able to keep my flexibility."

Adamson also posted a respectable 40-yard dash time, closing the gaps between him and the other prospects. He realizes he might not stack up against the others in speed and size, but he feels he can throw with the best of them. He just needs a chance to prove it.

"People will be surprised," Adamson said. "Watching guys play ... I know I can definitely throw the ball as good or better than the guys out there."

Adamson's quest has in no way ended yet. There is still a month before the NFL Draft, and he and Todd have some more preparing to do. Adamson is working constantly to improve and get stronger, all the time marketing himself as a viable draft pick in April.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting - you never know. So many teams passed over Kurt Warner, there are always diamonds in the rough out there.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
that was my thought jw7. Finding a superstar qb is like rolling dice. One reason is because so much happens to a kid in between teh ages of 21 - 25. You just can't tell how these guys are going to progress after they are drafted.