2021-22 Around the NBA Thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hopefully the Clippers play Memphis in round 1. I'd say that's a likely scenario also. Memphis retains the #2 spot and the Clips win the first play-in game. I'd actually bet on LA pulling the upset.

Golden State would play Denver right now. I like Denver's chances in that, especially with how poorly the Warriors have been playing. That would be a tough series for the Warriors to try and flip the switch against.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The grizz, i havent watched any of their games but i'm wondering if opposing teams are taking them lightly. In the playoffs teams can gameplan against them, completely different ballgame. We shall see if they're ready for that. I think they get bounced in the first round.

They have 10 guys average 7 points or more. Rotations get shortened. The guys ranked 6-10 in scoring , except for Adams, could see a dip in playing time which will drop their production. Jmo
As someone who has watched some of their games I can say that’s not the case. They are a complete team. Excellent pg that puts pressure on your entire defense, a group of wings that play defense, can shoot, and have diversity of skills, a versatile defensive gem at pf, a space-eating defensive center, and a deep bench. They’re somewhat like suns lite with the fact there aren’t any holes, they’ve got a nice blend of youth and vets, and they’re balanced offensively and defensively.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hopefully the Clippers play Memphis in round 1. I'd say that's a likely scenario also. Memphis retains the #2 spot and the Clips win the first play-in game. I'd actually bet on LA pulling the upset.

Golden State would play Denver right now. I like Denver's chances in that, especially with how poorly the Warriors have been playing. That would be a tough series for the Warriors to try and flip the switch against.
Those would be two interesting matchups. Clips, with Paul George back (of up to speed) could give griz issues in the same way they bug us.

And jokic would give the warriors issues and both teams have waves of athletic wings and smalls.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Celtics losing Robert Williams for several weeks will hurt.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Was coming here to post that as well. Just saw Shams post about it. Big blow to Boston's chances.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

It will be interesting to see how they proceed. Rehab will take longer but has better long term health, while surgery will get him back sooner but likely shorten his athletic prime.

Remember Bledsoe got the surgery when he was in a contract year and has really fallen off a cliff.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And the Warriors have nobody who can guard Joker. They have to get Steph back fast enough for him to get back in form before the playoffs, I don't think they have enough time. 7 games left and not clear to me when Steph returns. Poole has been terrific but he's not Steph.

The best chance the Warriors have is Steph comes back hot, and that opens up Wiggins who's been scuffling for weeks. I just am not very confident in that.

First round exit would not surprise me one bit

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To me. The biggest obstacle for a championship for the Suns this year is Memphis. A day ago it might have been Boston but that injury changes things.

Of course staying healthy might be the Suns BIGGEST obstacle.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how they proceed. Rehab will take longer but has better long term health, while surgery will get him back sooner but likely shorten his athletic prime.

Remember Bledsoe got the surgery when he was in a contract year and has really fallen off a cliff.

If I were the Celtics I will look at whatever is best for preserving his career. My guess he is out for the playoffs.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Wasn't it a decision between two types of surgeries? One essentially just removes the torn cartilage and the other repaired the torn cartilage and then required rehab for like 6 months. I could be misremembering, but I thought those were the options.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wasn't it a decision between two types of surgeries? One essentially just removes the torn cartilage and the other repaired the torn cartilage and then required rehab for like 6 months. I could be misremembering, but I thought those were the options.

Could be, I just remember he went with the quick turnaround over the long term health. I remember the other players who had it removed were either nearing the end of their career(Wade) or already had a short shelf life due to chronic issues(Roy).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be, I just remember he went with the quick turnaround over the long term health. I remember the other players who had it removed were either nearing the end of their career(Wade) or already had a short shelf life due to chronic issues(Roy).

IIRC, in a lot cases players end up getting surgery anyway.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me. The biggest obstacle for a championship for the Suns this year is Memphis. A day ago it might have been Boston but that injury changes things.

Of course staying healthy might be the Suns BIGGEST obstacle.
Memphis concerns me, that team is brutal. I'm sure Boston will still be a handful but I guess we'll need to see how they look without Williams.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nikola Jokic is the leader in the MVP straw poll followed by Joel Embiid and Giannis Antetokounmpo.

By Tim Bontemps ESPN:

Jokic, Embiid and Antetokounmpo have so clearly separated themselves from the field that they claimed 291 of the 300 votes for first, second and third place in the poll. (Antetokounmpo had six fourth-place votes, and Jokic had three fifth-place votes.) No other player was named to even half of the ballots.

Following the three unanimous selections was Memphis Grizzlies guard Ja Morant, who finished with 103 total points and received one of the two second-place votes recorded for someone besides Jokic, Embiid or Antetokounmpo. (Phoenix Suns guard Devin Booker received the other.) Boston Celtics forward Jayson Tatum placed fifth with 93 points, Dallas Mavericks guard Luka Doncic was sixth with 87 points and Booker seventh with 82. Morant, Tatum and Booker were the only players to receive third-place votes outside of the top three finishers.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
@Mainstreet

Book will be 4-5th in MVP voting which is a huge honor but Suns fans will turn it into an insult.

An interesting aspect of Book’s career arc is something Simmons brought up. At his age he has an opportunity to be a top-5 scorer all time. 35k points is a possibility the way the game is evolving. Would be cool if it all happened in Phoenix.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Mainstreet

Book will be 4-5th in MVP voting which is a huge honor but Suns fans will turn it into an insult.

An interesting aspect of Book’s career arc is something Simmons brought up. At his age he has an opportunity to be a top-5 scorer all time. 35k points is a possibility the way the game is evolving. Would be cool if it all happened in Phoenix.

I think Suns fans feel like Booker is penalized because he has talent around him which tends to diminish what he does.

It's easier for players on other teams to shine when they have less talent around them. The Suns are about sharing the ball.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Mainstreet

I disagree. Most of the angst was over the fact that he was consistently left off the top 10 lists (sometimes top 20 lists) and the reasons given didn't hold water. And top 5 is probably justified, top 3 isn't IMO. Sure, some fans will complain but people complain about anything, I believe most will recognize it as acknowledgement of his hard work and all around improvement.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I disagree. Most of the angst was over the fact that he was consistently left off the top 10 lists (sometimes top 20 lists) and the reasons given didn't hold water. And top 5 is probably justified, top 3 isn't IMO. Sure, some fans will complain but people complain about anything, I believe most will recognize it as acknowledgement of his hard work and all around improvement.
If he is in the top 5, I think that is progress. He has gotten pushed into the MVP discussion by talking about how he has been left out of the discussion. I do think it is interesting that the two main MVP candidates are centers, yet no team led by a traditional big-man (where the best player is a more traditional style center) has been to the finals in recent years.

And no, I do not consider Giannis a traditional big man. He plays like a mobile pf. He plays more like a wing than a big.

Anyway. I am just wondering if the gawdy numbers of Jokic and Embiid are hiding a flaw that prevents their teams from truly challenging for a championship. I am thinking out loud here. I am not sure I have the answer to that question, but it seems to be a valid question.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he is in the top 5, I think that is progress. He has gotten pushed into the MVP discussion by talking about how he has been left out of the discussion. I do think it is interesting that the two main MVP candidates are centers, yet no team led by a traditional big-man (where the best player is a more traditional style center) has been to the finals in recent years.

And no, I do not consider Giannis a traditional big man. He plays like a mobile pf. He plays more like a wing than a big.

Anyway. I am just wondering if the gawdy numbers of Jokic and Embiid are hiding a flaw that prevents their teams from truly challenging for a championship. I am thinking out loud here. I am not sure I have the answer to that question, but it seems to be a valid question.
The irony is THICK if that is the case. That would seem to indicate their number are more "empty" then Books. Yet that has been the argument against Book for years.