Suns @ Lakers Friday game thread 10-22-2021

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Saw a tweet that said that Mikal's 4th year statistics were very comparable to Kawhi's 4th year stats.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saw a tweet that said that Mikal's 4th year statistics were very comparable to Kawhi's 4th year stats.

Aytons second year are the same as Jokic 3rd year.

Stats can’t tell the whole story. Bridges gets all his points off slashing and movement. Kawhi can iso you and go to work

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Stats can’t tell the whole story. Bridges gets all his points off slashing and movement. Kawhi can iso you and go to work
I think it’s funny that you recognize this about Bridges (and it’s right) but you can’t admit it about Ayton.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Good to see Book start to Cook.

And for the love of God, I hope I never have to listen to Burke call a game against us again. I’m not one to call out “bias” announcers or refs but that was ridiculous.
Before the game my family was talking about how much better Doris Burkes is than listening to Rachel Nichols. It's like Nicholes wore a Doris Burke's mask last night!!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before the game my family was talking about how much better Doris Burkes is than listening to Rachel Nichols. It's like Nicholes wore a Doris Burke's mask last night!!

It was tough to listen to. Just SOOOOO much Laker bias.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Well, duh. Stats don't tell the whole story, but they tell some of it. Can something be just an interesting observation without starting an argument?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Well, duh. Stats don't tell the whole story, but they tell some of it. Can something be just an interesting observation without starting an argument?
I keep thinking of what you are discussing, but from another angle. If stats don't tell the whole story, like people are saying with Ayton, to look at his value and what he does for us. I can't help but feel despite what he is doing for us, if his stats were better, like 25 and 15, he would have been extended no problem, even if he did less for us in other areas.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
On the flip side of that people want us to get KAT for the stats he is putting up despite some saying he is a defensive liability compared to Ayton.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I keep thinking of what you are discussing, but from another angle. If stats don't tell the whole story, like people are saying with Ayton, to look at his value and what he does for us. I can't help but feel despite what he is doing for us, if his stats were better, like 25 and 15, he would have been extended no problem, even if he did less for us in other areas.
He would’ve been. But the truth is increasing his points by 11/game abd rebounds by 5/game likely would’ve outweighed what he gives to us elsewhere. In fact, if he was that guy I think we would’ve won the finals bc we wouldn’t have been so dependent upon two injured guards.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not sure the young folks understands us old folks hate for the Lakers. Lets list it, Jabbar, Magic and Worthy first, then Shaq and Kobie. The Suns had some good teams but its not easy beating those players. I was on Vacation in AZ and saw the 49's-Cards game, friends, family and had a great time. But last night gave me more joy then all that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although Ayton doesn't finish play this shows what he is capable of when he attacks the basket.

He is mobile enough to do it.
I forget when it happened but his best moment AFAIC was when he fought hard (against the Lakers front line) for a key rebound.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Gotta disagree and will use last years playoffs as example why. We were all OVER THE MOON about Ayton in the playoffs and he wasn’t going nuts from a stat perspective. He averaged 16.8 ppg 11.8 rpg and 1.5 blocks. Those are by no means world beater stats, but what people saw was a totally motivated Ayton that was playing with force through three rounds of the playoffs. And he got credit as such from everyone until the Finals where he just got overwhelmed I think as the only big amongst the trees. But again, it’s not like he was averaging 25/15/3 in the first three rounds. So, his stats didn’t tell the story how effective he was but we were still giving him a ton of credit as if they were.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Gotta disagree and will use last years playoffs as example why. We were all OVER THE MOON about Ayton in the playoffs and he wasn’t going nuts from a stat perspective. He averaged 16.8 ppg 11.8 rpg and 1.5 blocks. Those are by no means world beater stats, but what people saw was a totally motivated Ayton that was playing with force through three rounds of the playoffs. And he got credit as such from everyone until the Finals where he just got overwhelmed I think as the only big amongst the trees. But again, it’s not like he was averaging 25/15/3 in the first three rounds. So, his stats didn’t tell the story how effective he was but we were still giving him a ton of credit as if they were.
You have brought up exactly why I feel this way. He did show his value. Some people do see that. Yet he was not rewarded for that play. Others who have put up stats, with less play off success, were rewarded.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
You have brought up exactly why I feel this way. He did show his value. Some people do see that. Yet he was not rewarded for that play. Others who have put up stats, with less play off success, were rewarded.
I think part of the issue as to why he wasn't rewarded is because that was the only time he has shown any real consistency so far in his career. If we can see that more consistently this year he will likely be rewarded with that max contract.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think part of the issue as to why he wasn't rewarded is because that was the only time he has shown any real consistency so far in his career. If we can see that more consistently this year he will likely be rewarded with that max contract.
I am not seeing any change yet over how he played last year in the regular season.