Furiosa (Mad Max prequel)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
These things are so played out. Mad Max was awesome. The mayhem and violence and anarchy was appealing to me when I was boiling over with teen angst.

They should remake Water world instead...or sequel/prequel...whatever. the added elements of danger from the depths wasn't fully utilized in the Costner film and is much more interesting than the barren Australian desert

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m nowhere near as excited for this as Fury Road.
That was a masterpiece, and my expectations aren’t nearly that high. Fury Road’s come around once a decade so I get being a little jacked to see it. But it’s George Miller, back with a huge budget, making crazy stuff on the broadest canvas possible. That alone excites me and already got my IMAX tix at the Chinese Theater.

Biggest thing for me is we’re getting near the end for all the filmmakers who defined cinema for most of us. I’m just gonna cherish the opportunity to watch their work on the biggest screens possible while I still can.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Worth the price of admission for the action, if nothing else. The opening wasn't good with some bad tropes, and the first half was uneven, but the second half rocked. Great acting with a bunch of folks chewing the scenery. It wasn't a glorious day, per se, but it was a decent one.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Box office for the weekend is to be 31 million.

Lowest adjusted for inflation in 43 years

But everybody that I’ve seen that is gone to the theaters has enjoyed it so maybe it’ll have legs like elemental did

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Box office for the weekend is to be 31 million.

Lowest adjusted for inflation in 43 years

But everybody that I’ve seen that is gone to the theaters has enjoyed it so maybe it’ll have legs like elemental did
Hope it picks up. I liked it more than the last Mad Max movie which I also really liked.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
That was a masterpiece, and my expectations aren’t nearly that high. Fury Road’s come around once a decade so I get being a little jacked to see it. But it’s George Miller, back with a huge budget, making crazy stuff on the broadest canvas possible. That alone excites me and already got my IMAX tix at the Chinese Theater.

Biggest thing for me is we’re getting near the end for all the filmmakers who defined cinema for most of us. I’m just gonna cherish the opportunity to watch their work on the biggest screens possible while I still can.
While I haven't been a fan of the Mad Max world since ThunderDome... I agree that big cinema is experiencing huge losses in creativity the likes of which we will never see again. So we need to drink from the font while we still can.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really liked this and everyone I know who’s seen it liked it I have no idea why it’s bombing so hard

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I think the Mad Max franchise is a bit more niche than we (or at least I) think it is. It was enjoyable, but run-time and R rating is probably a deterrent for a lot of people.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sure I will watch this on streaming someday but the reason I am not seeing it in the theater is simple...

It's a prequel. I already know the end.

I want to see the heroes story going forward.

It's why despite being a big Harry Potter fan I have seen none of the Magnificent Beasts series.

I have watched a single episode of House of Dragon and said "meh who gives a crap. What happened to Jon Snow beyond the Wall?"

Prequels are lazy money grabs. This movie should have been about Furiousa growing the green in the desert and people trying to steal it

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sure I will watch this on streaming someday but the reason I am not seeing it in the theater is simple...

It's why despite being a big Harry Potter fan I have seen none of the Magnificent Beasts series.

I have watched a single episode of House of Dragon and said "meh who gives a crap. What happened to Jon Snow beyond the Wall?"

Prequels are lazy money grabs. This movie should have been about Furiousa growing the green in the desert and people trying to steal it
I’d probably agree save one thing… George Miller don’t do money grabs. And this is his world, first and foremost and I can’t wait to see WTF he doesn’t with it tomorrow night!

Reaction score

The Magnificent Beasts series is actually pretty good. It doesn't really tie in to Harry Potter much other than being in the same world.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not too CGI-y?
Nah. It’s still a ton of practical/ridiculous action. The DP is different and I think the way he shot it gives it a different look from Fury Road that I didn’t love.

The pacing up front was a little flabby, but overall the movie is still really good and breathtaking filmmaking that demands to be seen on the biggest screen with bad ass sound. Not in Fury Road’s class, but what is?

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’s not too CGI-y?
I’m very good at ignoring any of that unless it’s absolutely jarring. I try to free my mind while watching anything not intellectually engaging. So I tend not to even think about the cgi much less let it distract me from the visual storytelling.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I’m very good at ignoring any of that unless it’s absolutely jarring. I try to free my mind while watching anything not intellectually engaging. So I tend not to even think about the cgi much less let it distract me from the visual storytelling.
Same. I watch movies to be entertained. The more entertaining it is the more flaws I will overlook.