2018-19’ College Football Thread...

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep, but won't happen. With UCF undefeated 2 years in a row and Georgia and whoever gets left out of OU/OSU, I expect lots of discussion about expanding to 8.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

No chance. You know how long it took to even get a playoff. Lot of money at stake. This is bussiness and the confrence's like there tournaments and that would cut into them.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
it's stupid to have 2 teams from the same conference in the playoff even if they are the #1 and 2 teams in the country.

Alabama just proved they are better than Georgia. Why do I want to watch them play again in a month to see if anything changed?

The playoff should be expanded to 8 teams. All the winners of the Power 5 and 3 at large. Winning your conference should mean something.

Georgia is out. It’s going to be Bama, Clemson, Notre Dame and Oklahoma. People crying for UCF are just being dumb at this point.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Georgia is out. It’s going to be Bama, Clemson, Notre Dame and Oklahoma. People crying for UCF are just being dumb at this point.
Yeah, UCF isn’t one of the top 4 but they would be one of the top 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
My Louisville Cards got whipped pretty bad by those Pro-bastards from Alabama.I expected a little closer game (51-14) but UL started a kid RS Soph QB who played maybe 100 snaps last year behind Lamar Jackson and he had the obvious jitters and playing against Bama was a experience.Oh well …….got that game out of the way time to look ahead.

Louisville was great under John L Smith. Just a tough place to coach and recruit.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yeah, UCF isn’t one of the top 4 but they would be one of the top 8.

Agreed. These conference championship games are a joke but they’ll never get rid of them. Eliminating this weekend and going with 8 teams would be best.

It would’ve been a solid playoff format this year:

1. Bama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Oklahoma
5. Ohio St
6. Georgia
7. UCF
8. Washington

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I'd rather see an Alabama- Georgia rematch, than watch either Ohio state or Oklahoma get flambe'd

Have you ever seen Kyler Murray play sir? I watch him, and I literally think to myself "this isn't fair to opposing defenses".

Murray is the best player in the country, and he has lots of talent around him on offense.

If Riley cuts it lose, and I bet he will, OU might be able to outscore Alabama.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have you ever seen Kyler Murray play sir? I watch him, and I literally think to myself "this isn't fair to opposing defenses".

Murray is the best player in the country, and he has lots of talent around him on offense.

No doubt that OU’s offense is special. Couple that with an overrated Bama D & OU will put some points on the board. If Tua can’t go (I think he’ll be ok), I’m not sure a Hurts run Alabama offense will keep up with OU. With Tua, all bets are off.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
The obvious solution is to get rid of Conference Title games and expand to 8, but the conferences make a ton of money off of title game sponsorships, tickets sales, etc and they won't get rid of them.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score

And amazingly football isn't even his best sport (or at least not his future sport).

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed. These conference championship games are a joke but they’ll never get rid of them. Eliminating this weekend and going with 8 teams would be best.

It would’ve been a solid playoff format this year:

1. Bama
2. Clemson
3. Notre Dame
4. Oklahoma
5. Ohio St
6. Georgia
7. UCF
8. Washington
No need to scrap conference championships. An 8 team tournament would start 12/15(that would give all teams a week off) and end with the title game on 1/7. Wouldn't miss a beat.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Basketball tournament is 64 teams, goes on for 3 weeks, and some teams have to fly all over the country. Do they get paid(incidentally they're already getting paid with a free college education).

Yea I forgot basketball is the same exact sport as football where 200-300lb dudes collide & crash into each other every possession when the health risk is increased exponentially.

All college athletes deserve to get paid legally. Try again.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
4 is good.

6 with two top ranked teams coming off a bye would be decent.

8 would be....eh.

16 would be stupid. Talk about diluting the regular season where CFB is known as having the best regular season in sports.

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
Yea I forgot basketball is the same exact sport as football where 200-300lb dudes collide & crash into each other every possession when the health risk is increased exponentially.

They don't deserve to be paid. They get a free education, room and board, tutoring etc. If they are good enough they make tons of cash going pro. These kids and families know the risk, and nobody is putting a gun to their head to play. The pay to play is weak.....

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyways.

Draft Quinnen Williams at #2 & don’t look back. Dude damn near didn’t get any help from his front 7 mates a majority of the game & still played good.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

I think the point is that it lasts 3 weeks. An 8 team playoff would last 3 weeks. The last two teams would play a total of 16 games.

Every decision the NCAA makes is based on money. If they thought an 8 team playoff would make them more money they’d do it.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I think the point is that it lasts 3 weeks. An 8 team playoff would last 3 weeks. The last two teams would play a total of 16 games.

Every decision the NCAA makes is based on money. If they thought an 8 team playoff would make them more money they’d do it.

That's the only reason OSU would move up to 4th today.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
This is the perfect storm. There are three teams that are a lock and three more that all deserve pretty equally to be in.

Expand to 8 teams and the odds of a legit contender being excluded go way down.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would we do that with a lot of holes that are needed on our roster?

Besides, he’s going in the 1st round regardless.
I will be shocked if 3 QBs go in 1st round, let alone Haskins.

Daniel Jones of Duke may be the 1st QB taken.

Justin Herbert hasn't given any indication he is coming out and may be 1st round based on measurables not ability.

Drew Lock could go 1st round. I like him more than Herbert.

Ryan Finley borderline 1st round

Will Grier may be the 4th QB taken and is very borderline 1st round, unless someone sees Baker Mayfield.

Then there are the rest;

Haskins
Thorsen
Finley
Stidham
Minshew

etc.

May be a good year for future backup QBs.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I go back and forth on that. OSU had the better wins but also had the worse loss. Other than Texas, I don't think they are any good teams in the Big 12, and yes, that includes WVA. The Big 10 isn't great but Michigan, PSU, and even Northwestern are better than anything the Big 12 has to offer.

If they both play their best game, Ohio State is better but they have only shown that once this year.

I wonder what Vegas would have as a point spread if they played?
OMG.

P S. Can't make the stank of a 49-20 loss by OSU against Purdue go away. That Purdue that plays Big 12 style ball.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
No need to scrap conference championships. An 8 team tournament would start 12/15(that would give all teams a week off) and end with the title game on 1/7. Wouldn't miss a beat.

Nope. Title games are worthless and the committee proves that every year. It’s nothing but a cash grab.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyways.

Draft Quinnen Williams at #2 & don’t look back. Dude damn near didn’t get any help from his front 7 mates a majority of the game & still played good.
Nose guards are not a hot enough commodity on NFL rosters to go that high. Beware Alabama players.