2018-19’ College Football Thread...

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
and the Dawgs will burst Kentucky's bubble big time.

Players to scout;

Kentucky - Linebacker Josh Allen and defensive back Mike Edwards Barry Snell RB , CJ Conrad TE,

Georgia -

• Deandre Baker, CB, Senior
  • Tyler Clark, DT, Junior
  • J.R. Reed, S, Redshirt junior
  • D’Andre Walker, OLB, Senior
  • Jonathan Ledbetter, DE, Senior
  • Terry Godwin, WR, Senior
  • Isaac Nauta, TE, Junior

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
and the Dawgs will burst Kentucky's bubble big time.

Players to scout;

Kentucky - Linebacker Josh Allen and defensive back Mike Edwards Barry Snell RB , CJ Conrad TE,

Georgia -

• Deandre Baker, CB, Senior
  • Tyler Clark, DT, Junior
  • J.R. Reed, S, Redshirt junior
  • D’Andre Walker, OLB, Senior
  • Jonathan Ledbetter, DE, Senior
  • Terry Godwin, WR, Senior
  • Isaac Nauta, TE, Junior
Don’t forget Riley Ridley for UGA.

Perhaps drafting Baker in the 2nd? Hmmm.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alabama vs LSU??? nobody there???

LSU will sadly get their bubble burst, imo

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
College football is and will always be a farce. The only college sport without a true playoff system and there's no excuse for it. Money over everything when it comes to college football. The shame of it is that I enjoy watching college football and basketball over the pro games.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
College football is and will always be a farce. The only college sport without a true playoff system and there's no excuse for it. Money over everything when it comes to college football. The shame of it is that I enjoy watching college football and basketball over the pro games.
It’s a 4 team playoff.

What is your definition of a “true playoff system”?

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s a 4 team playoff.

What is your definition of a “true playoff system”?
Not 4 teams chosen by a computer or a panel. NCAA Basketball has a tournament with 64 teams. You mean to tell me that the football side couldn't come up with even a 16 team tournament? That's 4 weeks max, 5 if you want a week before the title game. Hell, the NFL has a 12 team tournament every year with no problems. FCS, Division II and III have playoffs. Every other freaking sport in college has playoffs. How is this concept lost on you?

There are 10 conferences in Div. I. That's 10 conference champions plus 6 at large teams that can be chosen via a computer. This took all of 1 minute for me to come up with so why can't the powers that be do the same?

Last edited:

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not 4 teams chosen by a computer or a panel. NCAA Basketball has a tournament with 64 teams. You mean to tell me that the football side couldn't come up with even a 16 team tournament? That's 4 weeks max, 5 if you want a week before the title game. Hell, the NFL has a 12 team tournament every year with no problems. FCS, Division II and III have playoffs. Every other freaking sport in college has playoffs. How is this concept lost on you?

There are 10 conferences in Div. I. That's 10 conference champions plus 6 at large teams that can be chosen via a computer. This took all of 1 minute for me to come up with so why can't the powers that be do the same?

If your idea generated more money than the current system then I’m guessing it would in place already.

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

4 Teams playoffs is ridiculous.

You need every conference champions and 6 at large.

And Notre Dame join a conference or ****

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If your idea generated more money than the current system then I’m guessing it would in place already.
It not only would generate a lot of money, it would bring significance to some of the lesser bowls. But if their only concern is money then they need to state as much instead of running out this farce of a "playoff" every year. Just go back to the days when the champion was chosen by a bunch of idiots mulling over which alumni gave them the most money.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
If they did that they would have to cut the regular season in half, or possible cut out a 1/3 of it just to get all the bracket games in. This would cost all the schools that were not in it a fortune and they would not have football programs. I do think 4 teams is a small sample size, but IMO they usually get it right. I think there are only 4 to 6 teams every year that have a legitimate claim anyway. I mean any given Saturday any team could win, but that still doesn't meant it a true playoff system IMO.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If they did that they would have to cut the regular season in half, or possible cut out a 1/3 of it just to get all the bracket games in. This would cost all the schools that were not in it a fortune and they would not have football programs. I do think 4 teams is a small sample size, but IMO they usually get it right. I think there are only 4 to 6 teams every year that have a legitimate claim anyway. I mean any given Saturday any team could win, but that still doesn't meant it a true playoff system IMO.
That's the point of a real playoff and they wouldn't have to cut anything. For example, SEC championship game is set for 12/1. You start the playoff on 12/15 first round, 2nd round on 12/22, semi-finals on 12/29, championship game 1/7 right on schedule. As for the 4 to 6 teams, yes there is a small sample of teams but as the NCAA basketball tournament shows us, anything can happen. This past year, a #16 knocked off a #1. #15's knock off #2's seemingly at least once a year. You can even make an 18 team field with 2 wild card play in games starting on 12/8 using this year's calendar. The interest on this would be phenomenal and would generate a ton of money. Truth is, the big time conferences don't want this. It has nothing to do with money and everything to do with ego.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
That's the point of a real playoff and they wouldn't have to cut anything. For example, SEC championship game is set for 12/1. You start the playoff on 12/15 first round, 2nd round on 12/22, semi-finals on 12/29, championship game 1/7 right on schedule. As for the 4 to 6 teams, yes there is a small sample of teams but as the NCAA basketball tournament shows us, anything can happen. This past year, a #16 knocked off a #1. #15's knock off #2's seemingly at least once a year. You can even make an 18 team field with 2 wild card play in games starting on 12/8 using this year's calendar. The interest on this would be phenomenal and would generate a ton of money. Truth is, the big time conferences don't want this. It has nothing to do with money and everything to do with ego.

I get it, but that would be too many games for these kids to play. They would have a longer season than the NFL. To me it not a playoff it is just pitting the best four teams all year against each other. Do you really want to see the 15 best team get slaughtered by the number 1 team in a championship game?

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get it, but that would be too many games for these kids to play. They would have a longer season than the NFL. To me it not a playoff it is just pitting the best four teams all year against each other. Do you really want to see the 15 best team get slaughtered by the number 1 team in a championship game?
To tell the truth is it any worse than the #2 team getting slaughtered by the #1 team? I just think it would make the champion more legit. College football has always been a joke in it's crowning of a champion especially in the days of voting for the champ.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

FCS squads that make the title game can play up to 16 games in a season. A sixteen team playoff would be a max 17 game season, 16 if you eliminated the conference championship game.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The networks and bowl committees probably like it just the way it is.